• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Anthony Albanese hold the voice referendum now?

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Prime Minister Anthony Albanese will promise to hold the Indigenous Voice to Parliament referendum this year, emphatically rejecting calls to delay, defer or cancel the referendum.

Key points:​

• The prime minister is due to give a speech regarding the Voice on Saturday afternoon
  • He has conceded there is no guarantee of success in a referendum
  • He will say Indigenous people have made clear the constitutional recognition they seek is a Voice'
Source: 'We will not deny the urgency of this moment': Albanese to promise to hold Voice referendum in 2023

Although the polls have been trending negatively for the voice, in my opinion the referendum should be held now, although I do kind of wonder if a referendum is even necessary to pass legislation since Albanese was elected prime minister anyway.

Your thoughts?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A referendum is neccessary around any constitutional change. The government doesn't have the right to implement that.
I think the sell job on this has been less effective than the fear job, honestly. There seems a push because it's 'morally right' which is all well and good, but is going to play much better with people who would have voted yes anyway than undecideds.

For any interested in further info, here is the government fact sheet;