• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-immolation as a protest against what is going on in Gaza

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

US airman dies after setting himself on fire outside Israeli Embassy in Washington​

Yikes.

"CNN —
An active-duty member of the US Air Force who set himself on fire outside the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC, on Sunday, has died, authorities said.

Aaron Bushnell, 25, of San Antonio, Texas, said in a video of the incident obtained by CNN that he would “no longer be complicit in genocide” and that his suffering was minimal compared to that of Palestinians as the humanitarian crisis persists in Gaza.

He then sets the recording device on the ground before pouring an unknown liquid over himself and igniting it while yelling “Free Palestine” repeatedly. He eventually collapses as police officers rush to douse the flames with fire extinguishers."

That's a very scary event and not because of the airman, but perhaps due to the possible origin of the dousing and last words ... It seems on par with martyrdom and expected reward for being one. That has been the mentality of our openly expressed and voiced adversaries. Palestine is under major duress, while the rest of the known world is subject to the effects of Islamic terrorist groups and their expressed causes.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
That's a very scary event and not because of the airman, but perhaps due to the possible origin of the dousing and last words ... It seems on par with martyrdom and expected reward for being one. That has been the mentality of our openly expressed and voiced adversaries. Palestine is under major duress, while the rest of the known world is subject to the effects of Islamic terrorist groups and their expressed causes.

So you think this terrible event could inspire other such acts, or perhaps terrorism? Honestly, I have been expecting something; at some point enough will be enough, for some people.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For one thing, it's well know that we can react emotionally to the death of one or a few people, because we can learn a bit about them and find a way to connect. We can't connect easily to dozens (and certainly not thousands) and these become just numbers -- and numbers don't elicit that much emotion.
"If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics." -Stalin
Sounds cruel, but it's for our own good that we don't connect to those millions. Amd it takes serious effort to care without being sucked into an emotional blackhole.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The closest I have ever been to the effects of terrorism is seeing it on the telly. That doesn't count as being subjected to it.
Funny your mind went that way. Mine saw images of self immolating Buddhist monks.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
So you think this terrible event could inspire other such acts, or perhaps terrorism? Honestly, I have been expecting something; at some point enough will be enough, for some people.
I think the event was scary, that it brought to mind expressed causes of our adversaries and that it could be related to terrorism. The origin of reason or cause remains unknown to me, but ... the display itself raises a few red flags.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The closest I have ever been to the effects of terrorism is seeing it on the telly. That doesn't count as being subjected to it.
Funny your mind went that way. Mine saw images of self immolating Buddhist monks.

Is it funny? Really? I'm unaware of Buddhist monks and self-immolation, but I have been made aware of hostilities in that region and expressed hatred towards Americans since I was 5 years old. Courtesy of the 11 o'clock news and video imagery of people in the region. I'm 53 now.

libre

Skylark
Most likely having a mental health issue and chose to commit suicide whilst demonstrating his anger over a current issue.
I don't see things that way.
I don't blame others for coming to that conclusion, given that mentally well people shouldn't ever commit acts of self-harm.

I can however understand why an American soldier may choose this path. When American soldiers that are active-duty protest wars openly they can be arrested for defection, dishonourably discharged or even framed as traitors in the press. This is one course of action he could take where no honest person can doubt the sincerity of his convictions.

I think there is a concerted effort by the press to frame this as the actions of just a mentally ill soldier to detract from the actual military decisions that made him distraught and feel complicit in what he understood to be a genocide.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't see things that way.
I don't blame others for coming to that conclusion, given that mentally well people shouldn't ever commit acts of self-harm.

I can however understand why an American soldier may choose this path. When American soldiers that are active-duty protest wars openly they can be arrested for defection, dishonourably discharged or even framed as traitors in the press. This is one course of action he could take where no honest person can doubt the sincerity of his convictions.

I think there is a concerted effort by the press to frame this as the actions of just a mentally ill soldier to detract from the actual military decisions that made him distraught and feel complicit in what he understood to be a genocide.
Well he isn't around for us to question his motives sadly but like so many other such instances - as per the monk mentioned earlier - those who do such things must know that this will have zero impact usually, apart from how it gets the public angry, and hence such actions are generally futile. And I was just commenting as to suicides often coming from a disposition or preparation to carry out such, with something triggering this. Much of the public is already angry enough so how would this do anything to affect things?

Edit: And as commented here, he would probably have been more valuable alive than dead:

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
RIP to him. To give your life for a cause in such a way is so tragic but honorable. What is really horrible is that things are so dire with this issue that people feel the need to do such things to be heard. The ignorant judgemental posts in this thread aren't helpful. Self-immolation as a form of protest is very old and morally complicated. I actually thought he might have been a Buddhist because of the religious aspects of it in that religion.

anotherneil