• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

science as a religion

leibowde84

Veteran Member
To claim that, assuming science is a religion (which, imho, is untrue), science is nothing less than the most useful religion humankind has ever witnessed, is simply errogant. And, for those who disagree with this, I implore you to check out the following site out with an opened, unassuming mind.

Sciencecanchangetheworld.org

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Science and technology can do great things but it doesn't address the same questions as religion.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Science and technology can do great things but it doesn't address the same questions as religion.
I agree, which is why I stated that I don't think it is a religion. But, for those who claim it is, it is nearly impossible to miss the incredible achievements made by it.

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't have a religion.
I do often say....science discovers how God did 'it'.
God did WHAT????

The bible explain nothing about what God did, let alone show any understanding in science., or in nature. The bible are for the superstitious. If God is the real author than he is a bloody superstitious idiot. A great example of idiotic superstitions can be found God's reply to Job, by reading JOB 38 to 40. I have not read more ignorant superstitions than in that pile of craps.

Why do I think that? It is because God's sounds like a superstitious human living during the Iron Age, with no understanding of nature.

As to religion. You may not go to church, but you are as dogmatic as any Christian that I have known, and you are definitely a creationist...so yes, you do have a religion.

gnostic

The Lost One
Which is why I think religious people should stop using their religions and their scriptures as if it was science textbooks.

Religions may, and I must stressed the word - "may", may be useful in term of teaching ethics and moral, but often, they have become outdated and irrelevant in modern world. They are completely useless in understanding nature.

Yerda

Veteran Member
God did WHAT????

The bible explain nothing about what God did, let alone show any understanding in science., or in nature. The bible are for the superstitious. If God is the real author than he is a bloody superstitious idiot. A great example of idiotic superstitions can be found God's reply to Job, by reading JOB 38 to 40. I have not read more ignorant superstitions than in that pile of craps.

Why do I think that? It is because God's sounds like a superstitious human living during the Iron Age, with no understanding of nature.

As to religion. You may not go to church, but you are as dogmatic as any Christian that I have known, and you are definitely a creationist...so yes, you do have a religion.
To be fair to Thief, he never mentioned the bible or any other text and what he did say hardly seems unreasonable given theism.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnostic

The Lost One
To be fair to Theif, he never mentioned the bible or any other text and what he did say hardly seems unreasonable given theism.
My past experiences with his replies in other threads, showed that he believe in genesis creation story, so I know for a fact, that he is a Christian.

Yerda

Veteran Member
My past experiences with his replies in other threads, showed that he believe in genesis creation story, so I know for a fact, that he is a Christian.
But here he has said that science shows how God did it. That doesn't seem to me to be a literalist position on creation.

gnostic

The Lost One
I suspect folks are able to make a religion out of just about anything.

http://www.thenation.com/article/church-football/

It becomes a religion I suppose when folks stop questioning it's authority.

Well, if that's the case, then my religion is Scarlett Johansson - in black, with pistols in her hands.

I don't know...there something about Scarlett with guns, that make me want to bow to her and worship her.

mms178a-z.jpg

Goddess Hottie

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
To claim that, assuming science is a religion (which, imho, is untrue), science is nothing less than the most useful religion humankind has ever witnessed, is simply errogant. And, for those who disagree with this, I implore you to check out the following site out with an opened, unassuming mind.

Sciencecanchangetheworld.org

Scientism (science as religion) doesn't do anything to damage the massive accomplishments of science. Hell, some of those greatest breakthroughs were made by religious people trying to understand creation. The problem is when science is elevated to be the be all and end all, the thing that can understand it all, a powerful presence rather than a tool. Science still relies entirely on the abilities and interpretations of humans, and we have no other similar life forms to compare our abilities to. Therefore, scientism itself makes a mockery of science. It's a massive leap of faith when you consider the infinite possible insanities of the world we live in. Even our behavioral science can walk a thin line, because not everything comes down to pure matter.

My point is that scientism is a non-scientific religion that elevated man to the highest level of ability in the universe. To me this is more laughable than people kneeling before a god. It's so unimaginably arrogant, and it ignores so many possible variables. It's everything that is a blight upon the scientific community. And therefore it is dangerous to science.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The Genesis account is not Christian.....it's Jewish.
and by dogma held to those beliefs I am neither.

rogue theologian.

The Genesis story is of divergence and manipulation.
there's a LOT of science in it.

gnostic

The Lost One
Scientism (science as religion) doesn't do anything to damage the massive accomplishments of science. Hell, some of those greatest breakthroughs were made by religious people trying to understand creation. The problem is when science is elevated to be the be all and end all, the thing that can understand it all, a powerful presence rather than a tool. Science still relies entirely on the abilities and interpretations of humans, and we have no other similar life forms to compare our abilities to. Therefore, scientism itself makes a mockery of science. It's a massive leap of faith when you consider the infinite possible insanities of the world we live in. Even our behavioral science can walk a thin line, because not everything comes down to pure matter.

My point is that scientism is a non-scientific religion that elevated man to the highest level of ability in the universe. To me this is more laughable than people kneeling before a god. It's so unimaginably arrogant, and it ignores so many possible variables. It's everything that is a blight upon the scientific community. And therefore it is dangerous to science.
Science is a tool. And I don't worship science. I used science, and I tried to understand science.

Just because science provide understanding of nature or their mechanisms, doesn't entail it being "worshipped".

Religion is nothing more than people of like-minded who are superstitious, believing in fairies, ghouls and goblins, in what you call "god" or "gods". Religion is faith-based, often inaccurate and relying on people's ignorant belief.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Science is a tool. And I don't worship science. I used science, and I tried to understand science.

Just because science provide understanding of nature or their mechanisms, doesn't entail it being "worshipped".

Religion is nothing more than people of like-minded who are superstitious, believing in fairies, ghouls and goblins, in what you call "god" or "gods".

Maybe you should read what I wrote? I clearly differentiated between using science and scientism as a religion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Religion is nothing more than people of like-minded who are superstitious, believing in fairies, ghouls and goblins, in what you call "god" or "gods".
The first two lines.....ditto for me.
the last line I would scratch off.