• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reward or consequence?

Do you think there will be a "reward or consequence" for how you choose to live your life? Specifically after death

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Do you think there will be a "reward or consequence" for how you choose to live your life?
We get that all the time whilst we live. Today, I'm suffering the consequences or enjoy the rewards of what I did yesterday and further back in the past. It's my fault I'm here right now, so the best thing I can do is to try to do better today so tomorrow will bring more rewards.

oh yeah.....

like that guy that pumped a fist in my eye.....just for the fun of it

he might be received in the same way
by every angel that he approaches

I'm not sure about that but I feel very guilty and ashamed if I choose to do something I know is wrong and I dread the thought of earning Hell because of my choices

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Specifically after death

That depends on what you believe happens after death.

Is there a "heaven or hell" scenario that creates fear and forced performance for some in this life? That is not what God wants from his human creation.
The devil said we would only serve God out of a selfish concern for our own comfort and reward, but God allowed a test for every one of us to qualify for life in his "new earth". (2 Peter 3:13; Proverbs 27:11)
The devil is permitted to take away our comfort and security to see if we will remain loyal to God under duress, or whether we will abandon him and his standards for the sake of our own selfish pursuits and shallow expression of love.

The loyal ones are rewarded with everlasting life, whilst those who abandon God for selfish interests will not gain life at all.

There is no "heaven or hell" as opposing destinations in the Bible...there is just everlasting life or everlasting death. By how we live this life, we either qualify or disqualify ourselves.

We need to read God's word and live by its principles and commands
reading.gif
....but we have to do that willingly, not under compulsion.
If we hate to obey God, we have lost the plot already.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
oh yeah.....

like that guy that pumped a fist in my eye.....just for the fun of it

he might be received in the same way
by every angel that he approaches
Or maybe he'll get the love and compassion he deserves as a human being, and because he was abused by his father and neglected by his mother and hadn't resolved the issues before poking you once...

Or maybe you had done something in a prior life to earn this...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think there will be a "reward or consequence" for how you choose to live your life? Specifically after death

Nope. But if there is, the consequences will certainly be based on something more important than such trivia as whether or not you believe in a particular deity, have sex only within the confines of marriage, do not eat shellfish nor wear a garment of mixed fabrics, have made offerings or prayers to a particular deity, have never masturbated, have asked a particular deity for forgiveness, or even have worshiped a particular deity. It is simply inconceivable that ultimate reality is such that those things and things like them would be the basis for a system of post-mortium rewards and consequences. Unless, of course, ultimate reality is genuinely absurd.

Nope. But if there is, the consequences will certainly be based on something more important than such trivia as whether or not you believe in a particular deity, have sex only within the confines of marriage, do not eat shellfish nor wear a garment of mixed fabrics, have made offerings or prayers to a particular deity, have never masturbated, have asked a particular deity for forgiveness, or even have worshiped a particular deity. It is simply inconceivable that ultimate reality is such that those things and things like them would be the basis for a system of post-mortium rewards and consequences. Unless, of course, ultimate reality is genuinely absurd.
I think choosing to or choosing not to love (acts of charity towards our fellow man) is a reasonable standard for judgement

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yes, I think we will judge ourselves on how well we lived our lives. Living with love in our hearts will be the important thing. But neither the 'reward or consequence' will be permanent.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What you do in life will reverberate even after death, whether or not there is a spiritual afterlife in a metaphysical realm, rebirth, etc. Even the choice not to contribute, be responsible, or exceed minimal expectations - leaves its mark.
Yes, but that which so called reverberates is simply life, we live as we are now, but that is no what carry's on, just like if I threw a rock in a lake, the repels that continue out from the rock isn't the rock. Our life as a mind body organism arises from the Source, or Consciousnesses, after so called death the mind body organism no longer driven by the Source, the Source or Consciousness is always there, but no longer the body. Consciousness is not influenced by the mind body, its the other way around, Consciousness is stillness, when other mind body organisms arise, they are totally new, and are influenced by gens, programming and conditioning, all that at death is lost, erased forever, this is the truth that is reveled to me, it is not the Truth, but my truth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I know that a consequence could be good or bad but I meant it in a negative way.
But then, that's the message of Christianity isn't it? How you preform for a few years on Earth determines how you'll spend the rest of eternity. It's like threatening your kid with having to spend the next five years in the basement after school if he ever fails to brush his teeth. Only much, much worse. Of course, considering how god established original sin, basing it on the single act of two guileless people, sending people to hell for eternity for not brushing their teeth is right in keeping with his character. Nice guy, this god of Abraham.