• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons For Setianism

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I thought for a while about how to lay this out, and it simply will never be perfect. Everything is too interconnected and I like to jump from idea to idea. I’m just going to try and discuss topics as they come to mind, which will hopefully correlate to importance! This is both meant simply to be illuminating, but debate is always more than welcome.

I guess one of the biggest things, and most unique to Setianism itself, is the argument for what Set represents in the first place. I have discussed this before, but it is certainly central to the ideology. It starts by recognizing that the Objective Universe we all share is machine-like in nature. It is essentially deterministic, it is predictable, it works kind of like a computer program. If I drop a ball right now, I know that it is going to fall to the ground. If I plug my laptop into the charger, I know that (assuming everything is working properly) it is going to charge my laptop. If I get ill and do not get it treated, it is going to run its course whether it lasts a day or kills me. If a mentally ill individuals does not or cannot properly manage their illness, or if they are not treated in any way, they are very likely to succumb to such an illness. Hopefully you get the idea. Second, the argument recognizes that a mind like that of a human’s, with things like high cognitive functioning and abstract reasoning abilities, can question, understand, manipulate, and even overcome this Objective Universe. As above medication is an example, which could not come about without an understanding of physics and chemistry, followed by the willful manipulation of that nature, and can negate something that would naturally occur like a depressed individual committing suicide or a sick individual dying from advanced cancer. Even things like self-talk, mindful meditation, willful placebos, visualization, and so on require this higher consciousness and its ability to inforce the individual will on the objective universe. These two things logically contradict. If X acts in one way, and Y is capable of acting against it, then X and Y must be separate things (law of identity), and it would be irrational to believe that X gave rise to Y, like an orange tree growing from an apple seed. Since we know, for a fact, that humans and other animals have this ability, we know that there is at least the natural order that controls the objective universe, and that which can go against it. Set is the most ancient (positive) symbol of the latter, the “non-natural” aspect of the cosmos.

Tied into this is the need to differentiate between the OU and the SU – the subjective universe. The mind shares very few of the limitations that the physical body does. You can close your eyes and float off into space, or walk amongst Lovecraftian temples from ancient civilizations. You can see with clarity the individual you wish to be. Dreams best exemplify this, with their nonsensical content grown from all sort of mostly unconscious information. Each individual has a SU, though many combine to become nearly identical. This ties back into the original argument, as there is something that can completely disregard the laws of the OU at will, at least within the SU. The individual can also force their SU onto the OU with varying degrees of success. You can not only visualize having a PhD before you get it, but you can then go on and get it in the OU. Similarly, cognitive coping skills like discussed above show the internal desire, such as to calm down one’s emotional response, can override the physical body’s reaction to whatever is freaking them out in the first place. This again shows a separation between the “natural” and “non-natural”.

I want to pause her to discuss the term “natural”. I am not a supernaturalist. Set is as “natural” as the chair you are sitting on now. What is meant by nature in Setian thought is the mechanical, material, deterministic, objective universe. It is natural to die. It is natural to have diarrhea after Taco Bell. It is natural to make rash decisions when in love or in pain. It is “unnatural” to extend the average human lifespan through the manipulation of nature as just defined. It is unnatural to step aside and question your decisions when in love, and takes a lot more training than most people realize. It’s much easier and more common for people to simply give into their desires, fears, sadness, love, etc. That is what naturally occurs in humans and other animals alike.

The issue of “other gods” does not exist for me, and I accept that other gods besides “my god” exist. This is very common in pretty much any position that is not monotheistic in nature. I simply see no reason to believe a god at face value, I do not believe in blind following or rash decisions after all. Just because a deity says it is the only one or is all loving and all powerful does not mean anything. I might as well say I am your king, with you immediately accepting this and bending to my will. It is important to look at followers of gods as well as the logic of supposed gods. I don’t doubt that the Christian god exists, but it certainly seems to be rather impotent and sadistic when you get down to the logic of it. On the topic, I do not believe in omni-gods. Obviously the mind can be overridden by the body, and as discussed above it also works the other way with the mind overriding the body. If so neither can be omnipotent. I guess you could argue for “all loving” gods, but there is something naïve and one sided about the idea of all-lovingness. It certainly doesn’t fit with the majority of gods (including Set) throughout history, and could one really respect something that loves no matter what? I’m sorry, but there are things that a healthy person should be disgusted by, such as the molestation of a child. There is not room in such a universe for omni-benevolence.

As a Setian I perhaps reject materialist/physicalism/etc more than most other positions, because it attempts to eliminate the mind from the equation. The mind is the one thing that we can directly know and be sure of. Everything else, including the material world, is understood through the mind. The rejection of this mind is absurd, whether it be materialism or eastern traditions that deny an individual self. Anyone who tells you the problem of solipsism can be solved is lying, and in the end we accept the OU in its entirety on faith. Materialism does not even attempt to answer some of the most basic philosophical questions. A brain may secrete chemicals, but the individual “feels” and “thinks”. A mind that goes against nature cannot have arisen from nature. The self cannot even be rejected, because who would be doing the rejecting? The existence of an individual Self is as axiomatic as the law of identity, perhaps more-so because it is the individual who is aware of, contemplates, and understands the law of identity. Relying entirely on physical empiricism is also an issue, because it itself is founded upon abstract logic and reasoning. Besides the mind, things like the laws of logic themselves are abstract, non physical, not testable, not falsifiable, etc. Any position that tries to reject these things is engaging in special pleading and completely ignoring philosophy.

For me, morality starts with the individual, the most foundational axiom in existence. We have to protect individual rights, while allowing for and even encouraging individual growth. This means I believe in the existence of a State to protect its citizens and enforce basic morals. All this stuff about personal drug use, gay marriage, what you can do with your own body, preferred types of sexual play, and so on are ridiculous wastes of time and resources. The State is not there to tell individuals how to live, but to make sure they do not tell each other how to live either. Murder is immoral to me because it takes away control of an individual’s own life. The killer is making the choice without the consent of the individual, thus enforcing his will over the victims. This violates the individual, similarly to rape ignoring a person’s right to choose who they sleep with, or theft ignore one’s right to do with their property as they wish. I am a strong supporter of community policing, and believe that it is the only way we are going to save the United States from its impending policing disasters. I like the morals of Rawls, in which there can still be varying degrees of wealth, but nobody is punished for their circumstances. The rich should be taxed more than the poor, because one less vehicle for a few dozen doctor visits is more than a fair trade off. No individual should ever have to live, say, on the streets in poverty simply because of things beyond their control, such as illness or corruption. Things like medical care are a right, not a privilege or something to be bargained and profited from. If it were not for the preceding paragraphs which thoroughly convinced me of the importance of the individual, I would still believe that morality started from the State or perhaps nature itself. Obviously people will disagree with these views until the end of time, but to me they seem to be the most rational, fair, and logic/evidence based.

Well, I’ve taken enough of your time, perhaps there shall one day be a part two. Xeper!

Last edited:

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

1137; Thanks for that - very VERY interesting....

You know, Id never heard the term before - not used in that way - never realised it was a fully developed philosophy...Thanks for explaining the basics.. I find actually I pretty much agree with everything you said there - especailly the part about MInd and how Creation follows its impetus and Self awareness direct the outcomes....I have explained this elsewhere here in similar ways - and to me - this whole Mind Creation process is very legitimate, and I see its process dynamically in my own life...I call it the truth of KARMA - a none stop flow of "Mind Creation Talent" - a fully inherant and natural universal ability for all Sentient minds - our actual living nature - and I realise fully that Iam always a Self Created Being..

Your post here remind me very much of my mate Christ - and His first and foremost advise - first step to such deeper understanding - before all things he said - come to KNOW THY SELF - become fully known, and all such mystery becomes revealed...All about MIND and Self awareness..What He LEGITIMATELY teaches in depth, is not necassarily found in the "bible" alone - but His full authentic teaching is very well aligned with this that you present here....

Premium Member
Hi Folks..

1137; Thanks for that - very VERY interesting....

You know, Id never heard the term before - not used in that way - never realised it was a fully developed philosophy...Thanks for explaining the basics.. I find actually I pretty much agree with everything you said there - especailly the part about MInd and how Creation follows its impetus and Self awareness direct the outcomes....I have explained this elsewhere here in similar ways - and to me - this whole Mind Creation process is very legitimate, and I see its process dynamically in my own life...I call it the truth of KARMA - a none stop flow of "Mind Creation Talent" - a fully inherant and natural universal ability for all Sentient minds - our actual living nature - and I realise fully that Iam always a Self Created Being..

Your post here remind me very much of my mate Christ - and His first and foremost advise - first step to such deeper understanding - before all things he said - come to KNOW THY SELF - become fully known, and all such mystery becomes revealed...All about MIND and Self awareness..What He LEGITIMATELY teaches in depth, is not necassarily found in the "bible" alone - but His full authentic teaching is very well aligned with this that you present here....

I actually recognize Christ, as he likely was as opposed to how he was represented, as being on a similar page as me. He preached internal power and strength, a state that was not overly invasive, and a respect for other individual's at least until they lose your respect. It's sad to see that his religion seems to have gone a severely different route.

I thought for a while about how to lay this out, and it simply will never be perfect. Everything is too interconnected and I like to jump from idea to idea. I’m just going to try and discuss topics as they come to mind, which will hopefully correlate to importance! This is both meant simply to be illuminating, but debate is always more than welcome.

I guess one of the biggest things, and most unique to Setianism itself, is the argument for what Set represents in the first place. I have discussed this before, but it is certainly central to the ideology. It starts by recognizing that the Objective Universe we all share is machine-like in nature. It is essentially deterministic, it is predictable, it works kind of like a computer program. If I drop a ball right now, I know that it is going to fall to the ground. If I plug my laptop into the charger, I know that (assuming everything is working properly) it is going to charge my laptop. If I get ill and do not get it treated, it is going to run its course whether it lasts a day or kills me. If a mentally ill individuals does not or cannot properly manage their illness, or if they are not treated in any way, they are very likely to succumb to such an illness. Hopefully you get the idea. Second, the argument recognizes that a mind like that of a human’s, with things like high cognitive functioning and abstract reasoning abilities, can question, understand, manipulate, and even overcome this Objective Universe. As above medication is an example, which could not come about without an understanding of physics and chemistry, followed by the willful manipulation of that nature, and can negate something that would naturally occur like a depressed individual committing suicide or a sick individual dying from advanced cancer. Even things like self-talk, mindful meditation, willful placebos, visualization, and so on require this higher consciousness and its ability to inforce the individual will on the objective universe. These two things logically contradict. If X acts in one way, and Y is capable of acting against it, then X and Y must be separate things (law of identity), and it would be irrational to believe that X gave rise to Y, like an orange tree growing from an apple seed. Since we know, for a fact, that humans and other animals have this ability, we know that there is at least the natural order that controls the objective universe, and that which can go against it. Set is the most ancient (positive) symbol of the latter, the “non-natural” aspect of the cosmos.

Tied into this is the need to differentiate between the OU and the SU – the subjective universe. The mind shares very few of the limitations that the physical body does. You can close your eyes and float off into space, or walk amongst Lovecraftian temples from ancient civilizations. You can see with clarity the individual you wish to be. Dreams best exemplify this, with their nonsensical content grown from all sort of mostly unconscious information. Each individual has a SU, though many combine to become nearly identical. This ties back into the original argument, as there is something that can completely disregard the laws of the OU at will, at least within the SU. The individual can also force their SU onto the OU with varying degrees of success. You can not only visualize having a PhD before you get it, but you can then go on and get it in the OU. Similarly, cognitive coping skills like discussed above show the internal desire, such as to calm down one’s emotional response, can override the physical body’s reaction to whatever is freaking them out in the first place. This again shows a separation between the “natural” and “non-natural”.

I want to pause her to discuss the term “natural”. I am not a supernaturalist. Set is as “natural” as the chair you are sitting on now. What is meant by nature in Setian thought is the mechanical, material, deterministic, objective universe. It is natural to die. It is natural to have diarrhea after Taco Bell. It is natural to make rash decisions when in love or in pain. It is “unnatural” to extend the average human lifespan through the manipulation of nature as just defined. It is unnatural to step aside and question your decisions when in love, and takes a lot more training than most people realize. It’s much easier and more common for people to simply give into their desires, fears, sadness, love, etc. That is what naturally occurs in humans and other animals alike.

The issue of “other gods” does not exist for me, and I accept that other gods besides “my god” exist. This is very common in pretty much any position that is not monotheistic in nature. I simply see no reason to believe a god at face value, I do not believe in blind following or rash decisions after all. Just because a deity says it is the only one or is all loving and all powerful does not mean anything. I might as well say I am your king, with you immediately accepting this and bending to my will. It is important to look at followers of gods as well as the logic of supposed gods. I don’t doubt that the Christian god exists, but it certainly seems to be rather impotent and sadistic when you get down to the logic of it. On the topic, I do not believe in omni-gods. Obviously the mind can be overridden by the body, and as discussed above it also works the other way with the mind overriding the body. If so neither can be omnipotent. I guess you could argue for “all loving” gods, but there is something naïve and one sided about the idea of all-lovingness. It certainly doesn’t fit with the majority of gods (including Set) throughout history, and could one really respect something that loves no matter what? I’m sorry, but there are things that a healthy person should be disgusted by, such as the molestation of a child. There is not room in such a universe for omni-benevolence.

As a Setian I perhaps reject materialist/physicalism/etc more than most other positions, because it attempts to eliminate the mind from the equation. The mind is the one thing that we can directly know and be sure of. Everything else, including the material world, is understood through the mind. The rejection of this mind is absurd, whether it be materialism or eastern traditions that deny an individual self. Anyone who tells you the problem of solipsism can be solved is lying, and in the end we accept the OU in its entirety on faith. Materialism does not even attempt to answer some of the most basic philosophical questions. A brain may secrete chemicals, but the individual “feels” and “thinks”. A mind that goes against nature cannot have arisen from nature. The self cannot even be rejected, because who would be doing the rejecting? The existence of an individual Self is as axiomatic as the law of identity, perhaps more-so because it is the individual who is aware of, contemplates, and understands the law of identity. Relying entirely on physical empiricism is also an issue, because it itself is founded upon abstract logic and reasoning. Besides the mind, things like the laws of logic themselves are abstract, non physical, not testable, not falsifiable, etc. Any position that tries to reject these things is engaging in special pleading and completely ignoring philosophy.

For me, morality starts with the individual, the most foundational axiom in existence. We have to protect individual rights, while allowing for and even encouraging individual growth. This means I believe in the existence of a State to protect its citizens and enforce basic morals. All this stuff about personal drug use, gay marriage, what you can do with your own body, preferred types of sexual play, and so on are ridiculous wastes of time and resources. The State is not there to tell individuals how to live, but to make sure they do not tell each other how to live either. Murder is immoral to me because it takes away control of an individual’s own life. The killer is making the choice without the consent of the individual, thus enforcing his will over the victims. This violates the individual, similarly to rape ignoring a person’s right to choose who they sleep with, or theft ignore one’s right to do with their property as they wish. I am a strong supporter of community policing, and believe that it is the only way we are going to save the United States from its impending policing disasters. I like the morals of Rawls, in which there can still be varying degrees of wealth, but nobody is punished for their circumstances. The rich should be taxed more than the poor, because one less vehicle for a few dozen doctor visits is more than a fair trade off. No individual should ever have to live, say, on the streets in poverty simply because of things beyond their control, such as illness or corruption. Things like medical care are a right, not a privilege or something to be bargained and profited from. If it were not for the preceding paragraphs which thoroughly convinced me of the importance of the individual, I would still believe that morality started from the State or perhaps nature itself. Obviously people will disagree with these views until the end of time, but to me they seem to be the most rational, fair, and logic/evidence based.

Well, I’ve taken enough of your time, perhaps there shall one day be a part two. Xeper!
Question, would you agree with these two statements?

Set is the source of isolate self consciousness and is itself conscious.

The physical body is training wheels to prepare the consciousness for eternal existence.

Premium Member
Question, would you agree with these two statements?

Set is the source of isolate self consciousness and is itself conscious.

The physical body is training wheels to prepare the consciousness for eternal existence.

The first one, yes. The second one is something I debate.

Onyx

Premium Member
Some questions and/or points of discussion:

1. Assuming that the existence of objective and subjective universes is valid from a metaphysical standpoint, then what nexus exists in the human brain that is able to maintain a constant link with an isolate consciousness?

2. Could the human body be considered a "ritual chamber" for this conciousness, limiting the subjective experience to prevent problems in the growth of said conciousness?

3. If #2 is true, than Set would have planned our existence accordingly, knowing ahead of time that without a physical cage to start off in, our consciousness would become too chaotic to hold true, and might dissipate altogether.

4. It seems that if Set went to all this trouble, then there must be a purpose. If Set is in full control of its own subjective nature without a physical cage, then it stands to reason that this is our intended future. However, as individuals this would be up to us to pursue.

5. Does Set need us as part of its own initiation into a broader existence? Or does it simply desire new companions that are on equal-footing? Does it communicate with other "Set-like" deities that are engaged in their own "projects"?

Premium Member
Just wondering. Both are direct quotes from Michael Aquino over at the 600 club.

Interesting. I like the works of Aquino from what I've read, but I definitely would say I disagree on many of his actions and ideas.

Some questions and/or points of discussion:

1. Assuming that the existence of objective and subjective universes is valid from a metaphysical standpoint, then what nexus exists in the human brain that is able to maintain a constant link with an isolate consciousness?

Hmmm, after back spacing several times I think I should ponder this further before responding.

2. Could the human body be considered a "ritual chamber" for this conciousness, limiting the subjective experience to prevent problems in the growth of said conciousness?

It could definitely be considered a ritual chamber for the isolate intelligence. I am not sure what you mean about this limiting subjective experience though, could you possibly expand upon it? I think subjective experience can be all over the place, but it certainly can be focused at overcoming problems that interfere with growth. Sometimes in the ritual chamber it is nice to let loose and lose such focus, to enjoy the moment. Groups that focus on never ending evolution, rather than a mix between the dusk and dawn, tend to suffer in the long run. For example, having a great night with friends and loved ones, where you just enjoy the moment, let lose, and so on will lead to more nostalgia and positive memories. These are essential in the ongoing struggle against things like pain and suffering.

3. If #2 is true, than Set would have planned our existence accordingly, knowing ahead of time that without a physical cage to start off in, our consciousness would become too chaotic to hold true, and might dissipate altogether.

An interesting theory. I'm not so sure Set could have known ahead what would happen, as Set is not omniscient. That said, a body does help one separate themselves from that around them. There is me, and there is you, there are us and them and others. It is only through these other things that the self can be defined. Assuming that we start with a weak sense of self, as childhood development suggests, then a life like ours would be very useful beginning to get in touch with and understand your Self, eventually becoming separate enough to theoretically survive physical death.

4. It seems that if Set went to all this trouble, then there must be a purpose. If Set is in full control of its own subjective nature without a physical cage, then it stands to reason that this is our intended future. However, as individuals this would be up to us to pursue.

If I understand correctly then I agree.

5. Does Set need us as part of its own initiation into a broader existence? Or does it simply desire new companions that are on equal-footing? Does it communicate with other "Set-like" deities that are engaged in their own "projects"?

I think that we are beneficial to Set just as Set is beneficial to us. Yet I do not mean beneficial as in "something to use", but as in "new companions on equal footing". Even with someone you know intimately knew ideas can come into being. Hell, I text my best friend with a random thought or idea he would never have considered were it not for me, and the reverse is also true. Set likes expansion, whether it is into mysticism, history, science, fiction, and so on. Without humans Lord of the Rings would not exist, and Set could not ponder it in comparison to other ideas. As for your last question, I think that most other Set-like entities either are Set under a different name and cultural interpretation, or are a manifestation of Set Itself.

What is Set's purpose?

What do you mean?

Setians believe in The Gift of the Black Flame, which is a gift from Set. Essentially, they see Set as the creator of consciousness.

I may be wrong, though, as I am not a Setian.

Besides some nitpicking on wording you did just fine ;)

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
It could definitely be considered a ritual chamber for the isolate intelligence. I am not sure what you mean about this limiting subjective experience though, could you possibly expand upon it?
I was unclear. We experience a specific gamut of colors, sounds, smells, and tastes. Furthermore these shared experiences among humans are what allow us to interact in some meaningful way, hopefully contributing to each other's growth instead of hindering it.

An interesting theory. I'm not so sure Set could have known ahead what would happen, as Set is not omniscient.
Perhaps what I said makes more sense in the metaphorical sense then.

Onyx

Premium Member
Sometimes in the ritual chamber it is nice to let loose and lose such focus, to enjoy the moment. Groups that focus on never ending evolution, rather than a mix between the dusk and dawn, tend to suffer in the long run. For example, having a great night with friends and loved ones, where you just enjoy the moment, let lose, and so on will lead to more nostalgia and positive memories. These are essential in the ongoing struggle against things like pain and suffering.
This is an insightful thought.

Last edited:

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
It is “unnatural” to extend the average human lifespan through the manipulation of nature as just defined.

I have a question? When you imply that it is "unnatural to extend the average human lifespan through the manipulation of nature as just defined." Are you implying that it is not natural to extend the person to live longer through the manipulation of nature itself with the use of Magick? I am a bit confused of what you meant by that, I believe that you are able to manipulate nature with the use of Magick whether you would like to disrupt something which interferes in your situation. I primarily believe that Set can manipulate nature with change.

Ahanit

If you are going to the Egypt basics of Set, the Mythology of the Soul and its Parts, you find the Body as vessel. It is A temple for the other Parts of the soul, so the idea of Rital Chamber is a good. The Idea is that the immortal Ka which is able to live several lives has only the chance to grow and go forward when it interacts with the other 2 parts of the soul, which can only happen in a mortal body.
This is not a plan of Set but it is a basic of his gifts. Set is a teacher who trys to give us the ability to change by will, our own true will. That can only happen when we are a whole mortal existence, when our Ka is bound to the rest of the soul.

No I think Set do not need us, he is only Ka , there is nothing more to change to, he is, what he is. He makes us a gift, he try to show us the truth, he teaches us so that we became able to reach a new stage of existance. He follows his own true will and it is equal for him if we learn from him or not.

Why you came to the end that this is trouble for Set? He gave us a gift, if we use it or not is only our problem so where is the trouble? (May be that I did not get the meaning of your sentence, because of my problems with english, maybe you can explain it with other words)

What is Set's purpose?

I am not sure that I get the meaning of your Question. Set is an Existence Immortal Old Does he need a Purpose? Or do you ask Why anyone follows him?
I follow him as I follow others He is a teacher, I can learn from him to go forward, I learn to find my own true will and go the Path to change my life in the way I wish.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

Oh WOW - this gathered speed quick - lol

1137;
I actually recognize Christ, as he likely was as opposed to how he was represented, as being on a similar page as me. He preached internal power and strength, a state that was not overly invasive, and a respect for other individual's at least until they lose your respect. It's sad to see that his religion seems to have gone a severely different route.

Yer, you do get His essential truth and nderstand Him clearly - but I would question one statement - "his religion" - as clearly, He actually came to dismantle and replace ALL institutionalised religions not to start another at all - no middleman priest intermediary needed at all for this INNER process of Self discovery....The religion is a direct hinderance to such an endeavour - fills the mind with false half truth from purely external sources, and this literalluy handicaps us in the search for legitimate Self knowing..The endeavour itself, is of course the search for Gnosis...The SOLITARY and ELECT attain my Fathers rest He said - avoid the temple always - more on that in a moment...

Satans Serated Edge;

I too would disagree with that statement - kind of - it does play out here that we are "born spiritually ignorant of self" - and so it SEEMS like we are learning this as we go along through life - but actually, we are in fact REMEMBERING Who and What we have ALWAYS been...Its like we play "hide and seek" with our Self here - and the purpose of life is to EXPERIENCE directly that which you first IMAGINED your Self to BE - all Creation flows from the Divine Mind - abstract impulse becomes tangeable EXPERENTIAL reality - and the experience itself, brings the fullest understanding - this again,is the essence of Gnosis - the Divine mind IS a Gnostic awareness - forever seeking full and intimate Self understanding..

In a very VERY real sense - I, my eternal Soul - IMAGINED my existance AS a human Being - I then deposited a portion of my Conscious "energy" into a "model" of the thing I conceive my Self to Be - I literally inhabited a physical body that other Souls - parents - created for me - they ONLY created the physical suit I wear - but hey did NOt create my Soul, my essence - THAT is eternal, and in my ORIGINAL awareness, Iam the ENTIRE creation - layered down through many many Self aware states, until finally Iam INDIVIDUAL and UNIQUE - thus HERE in this state, I can DIRECTLY EXPERIENCE the very thing I first IMAGINED that I would Be.I can concentrate FULLY on that experience HERE in an isolated form such that I gain the FULL UNDERSTANDING of that which Iam..

Im not then "learning" who Iam - Iam REMEBERING - as first I purposefully FORGOT my Self when I became isolated here on purpose...This Primal Diviine MInd - Primal Sovereign Spirit - simply cannot know it Self as INDIVIDUAL and UNIQUE - if it also knows it Self as the ENTIRE CREATIION...do you see..??...Therefore it layers it self and purposesfully isolates it Self WITHIN the other creations (bodies within worlds) and this illusionary seperation brings about the greatest degree of Self understanding THROUGH the LIVING experieince - Gnosis..

Onya;

Its not contained within the brain alone, but rather,the whole physical form itself...We have specific energetic forms, patterns within our bodies - and so too of course the rest of creation is a similar arrangement of energetic patterns that form "solid matter"...The trick then it so to get the internal pattern of unique mind to align with the external patterns in the objective worlds...Specifically - the mechanism is well known - chakras and Kundalini - a transformation of these inner energetic patterns that do indeed align the individual mind back with the original SOURCE of that mind (and the entire creation it caused of course)..We have a system within us - whereby we can apply the mind INTERNALLY and force this energy to "purify" - to leave its gross physical pattern and to re merge with the subtler energies of the entire Cosmos..The internal energy (Kundalini) is guided through the entire physical nervous system,travelling from its base at the bottom of the spine - up the spine, and directly into the brain itself....

When this subtle energy is activated in this manner, it allows a FUSION of internal and external energies - part so the brain begins to work in UNISON n new and unusual ways - such as the pituatary gland and the pineal gland - begin to operate in very strange and new ways, releasing a molecule we call DMT directly into the brain...This chemical - usually - is only produced in any quantity first at BIRTH a cascade of dmt is noted - and at death also - a similar cascade of DMT is noticed - birth and death as we know - are the crossing points as Spirit become unique individual and returns again to Spirit upon death - the DMT molecule seems to be deeply involved in this transition - and as I say - the raising of Kundalini in that process CAUSES the release of DMT CONTINOUSLY - thus the individual MIND is free to make such a transition AT WILL - cross from physical to spiritual Self awareness as it chooses - thus it encounters the original truth of the entire creation right down at that fundamental none physical energetic primal level - and thus the Soul REMEBERS who and what it ALWAYS was.....

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

Onya;

To my mind - YES - again, kind of - lol....The body is a "ritual chamber" - a TEMPLE and place of communon mortal and Divine..It does indeed limit the subjective experience - severely handicaps it actually - sight and sound are the most obvious examples, but actually there is a vast web of energy out there that we are fully oblivious of in these limiting bodies, yet the entire Creation AFFECTS US FULLY at ALL times - no seperation EVER...The body is a FILTER primarily - and it is needed specifically to allow the focus of individualised UNIQUE Mind...Literally the Great Spirit is concentrating on one singular aspect of it Self awareness, represented within the life and EXPERIENCE of a unique mortal life..

Your further points - especially no3 and no 4 - I fully agree with...Absolutely this is a PERSONAL CHOICE - once we begin to recognise our legitimate nature within - bought to us in a slow way as we go through life and get an occasional glimpse that "something else exists" - and when this inner realisastion dawns,we "wake up" as it is termed, and immediately we have a stark choice - pursue this new Self awareness will mean give up the Earthly physical life and no longer hold THAT as dominant focus of the mind - or write the glimpses off as a fantasy (many do) and continue in ignorance with the mundane mortal world as usual..

Now I my Self cannot answer for Set here, for as said, this is all pretty new to me - and most intriguing - because so far what I see and learn here aligns almost perfectly with Christ, whom I trust as fully legitimate Divinity...The things HE said - VERY MUCH ALIGN with all I have read here - and as He said He came DIRECT from that SOURCE of creation itself, then we must be speaking of the same Primal Spirit given many names...

Christ woould answer the statement above with LOGIC - for He said that all things come from this abstract Divine mind as it seeks Self understanding....Its very first "thought" - very first impulse - was the realisation that it EXISTS - you know, in plain English - the classic "god said Iam" - Christ said this is true - the Spirit / mind realised THAT thought - that Self awareness - I AM, I exist - and because of its own inherant nature - literally that which we term LOGIC - alongside this first impulse, contained WITHIN the first impulse, fully integral to it - the question arose and SO DID THE ANSWER - for that is the nature of mind - it ponders its own existance ALWAYS - Gnosis..

I will try to paraphrase and dumb it down in plain English, but really this is essential universal metaphysical truth.....the mind is "living logic" - logic is its core foundation always...See then - if I am, if I exist, then I MUST have DEFINITION !! To satisfy my own inherant need for Self understanding I MUST have something I can anchor my awareness to - and so CREATION HAPPENS - the mind defines it Self with a SYMBOL to represent the different states of Self awareness....The inherant logic drives it all in a ceaseless pursuit of Self understanding - Gnosis..The mind says to itself - I am , I exist - and alongside this thought, natural and unavoidable, the question and answer conceived together, one DEFINED by the other always Yin and Yang - the inherant logic prompts the response - I AM WHAT ???.. IF I exist then I MUST have a way to RECOGNISE MY SELF....and it all starts from there - objective worlds become formed, layered heirachy of MIND deposited within them - universal mind becomes individual unique Soul..

Iam - the mind stirred - WHAT am I arose alongside,integral inseperable - and this occurs in a total BLANK STATE OF AWARENESS - like NOTHING exists - no sights no sounds no stimulus at all except a stream of Self awareness with NOTHING to anchor it self to - the mortal mind finds it really hard to even imagine - yet I can assure you such a void empty state exists even within our own individual mind - and this internal state is itself the GATEWAY to these outer eternal worlds..The Divine come forth in SIlence..

That very first thought - NEEDED a "symbol" to denote the change in Self awareness - and so it begins - into this VOID, DARK EMPTY state of Being - comes now the OPPOSITE..Logic demanded to be satisfied - the mind existed in a BLANK STATE then it stirred and the result was symbol WITHIN the mind to denote its new status...This void,empty state of "none existance" became fiilled with that which we would term ENERGY in our plain modern English..LIGHT - movement,vibration,SOUND - the very first thought of the Primal Mind CAUSED a "cloud of energy" too become REALISED - as in LITERALLY MADE REAL....I could add here that also with this first stirring "thought" - duality, mathematics, personality, seperation of subjective and objective reality - the very FRAMEWORK for the entire external objective creation, became realised also, INTEGRAL to that first thought, first CONCEPT of existance - natural logic made it all happen - the mind seperated and looked upon the symbol that it had defined it Self to Be..

The mind then goes on to fashion other objective forms and realities - worlds and Souls to inhabit them as said - ALL made from this FIRST cloud of energy - Divine Light as it is often termed - which is itself a SYMBOLIC representation of the minds own Self awareness....

Its not so much a "desire" then - more like it is UNSTOPPABLE TALENT - the logic MUST be satisfied, for that is the nature and drive of the mind - FULL Self disclosure, Self understanding - therefore whatever it conceives it Self to Be - so dutifully this primal energy of Creation will arrange to bring the best representation OF that Self awareness - literally - whatever Set - or my Father as Christ would term it - whatever this Primal Spirit / Mind IMAGINES - it WILL BE CREATED for this is an INHERANT process and quality of mind as it seeks this Gnosis of Self..Whatever the mind imagines it Self to Be will in due process become a tangeable solid,experential reality - this process Folks - is the living truth of that which we erroneously call KARMA - not a reward and punishment system - but a never ending stream of Self Creation - either from an ignorant mortal mind - or from a fully Sentient Divine Mind - but a shared and unstoppable Self creation process as mind strives continuously, for complete Self understanding....

Last edited:

Premium Member
I have a question? When you imply that it is "unnatural to extend the average human lifespan through the manipulation of nature as just defined." Are you implying that it is not natural to extend the person to live longer through the manipulation of nature itself with the use of Magick? I am a bit confused of what you meant by that, I believe that you are able to manipulate nature with the use of Magick whether you would like to disrupt something which interferes in your situation. I primarily believe that Set can manipulate nature with change.

I think magic, by definition, goes against nature. The creation of medicine is itself an act of magic, for example.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
What is Set's purpose?

And why did Set bestow unto mankind the gift of self-consciousness? These are questions that I and other Setians have contemplated over the years.

I think one of Set's purposes is to remake the cosmos into a more Magical environment reflective of the Setian Consciousness. Set, with the force of His/Its own mind and will could recreate the cosmos and become in essence the new "God", the new cosmic inertia. However, Set is the First Principle of Isolate Intelligence, the supreme manifestation of the Prince "First" of Darkness, and the spiritual essence of singular identity and independent conscious existence.

Hence, if Set were to become the new "God", the new cosmic inertia -- or in his words from the "Book of Coming Forth by Night":
"Were I my Self to displace the Cosmic Inertia, I should be forced to become a new measure of consistency. I would cease to be One, for I should become All."

And so by bestowing within others the Essence of his own Being, and hence creating others of the Black Flame, i.e. mankind, Set canceled the imbalance; leaving a Void in which true Creation could take form not just as Set but also as the individual, unique, unpredictable visions of the minds and wills of other kindred of the Black Flame. Hence, Set would remain One, singular, independent, and not the All responsible for the re-creation of the cosmos; not the new "God", not the new natural order of things. Set does not seek to be the omnipotent manifestation of all things, but rather exalts and nurtures the singular presence and independence of his own unique Mind and Will, and that of his own kind.

I think the Gift of Set shows him to be a benefactor and a survivalist.

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
Why you came to the end that this is trouble for Set? He gave us a gift, if we use it or not is only our problem so where is the trouble? (May be that I did not get the meaning of your sentence, because of my problems with english, maybe you can explain it with other words)

I meant that for Set to make the effort, then he must have had an important purpose in mind. Not that it was any "trouble" for him necessarily.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
I have a question to my fellow Setians, it is perhaps weird for me to sense Set and wanting to work with him. I have always found Setianism to be interesting but complicated at the same time. However I am curious about the afterlife in the Setians point of view. I personally do not believe in an afterlife myself, but I was always curious how the Setian approaches the afterlife.