• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rathayatra in Aberyswyth

Kirran

Premium Member
Aberystwyth isn't that close to where I grew up, but it is about the nearest place most Brits have heard of. It is a little under a 20-mile drive from the farm I grew up on.

It's a pretty small town, main shopping place for a huge amount of rural Welsh people and middle-class English expats who all come out of the hills and mountains (like my family), has a pretty strong Welsh-speaking population, a regional cultural centre for Welsh-speakers. Dominated by the University, which has ~10,000 students to the town's ~16,000 people. Being pretty isolated, it is surrounded by sheep-farming land, seaside and mountains.

And thanks to ISKCON (I believe), a parade was held there for Rathayatra!

My father sent me the video (I no longer live in the area).

The nonplussed locals are a highlight.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The nonplussed locals are a highlight.
I wonder if promoting this type of parade in front of the uninformed will increase the 'weird' reputation so many ascribe to the Hare Krishna movement. :eek:

Also are there people that would say that Welsh is their first language?

Kirran

Premium Member
I wonder if promoting this type of parade in front of the uninformed will increase the 'weird' reputation so many ascribe to the Hare Krishna movement. :eek:

Yes, I imagine so to be honest. But hey, Hinduism is weird for those not used to it.

Also are there people that would say that Welsh is their first language?

Yes, including most of the people I went to school with, grew up around and was taught by. As well as most people in the local communities for quite a large area around where I grew up, although there had since the '60s developed a hefty minority in the area who spoke English as a first language, primarily (ex-)hippies who immigrated for cheap land and their children.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yes, including most of the people I went to school with, grew up around and was taught by. As well as most people in the local communities for quite a large area around where I grew up, although there had since the '60s developed a hefty minority in the area who spoke English as a first language, primarily (ex-)hippies who immigrated for cheap land and their children.
Interesting. Are there Welsh speakers who are not fluent in English?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Kirran ji

Yes, I imagine so to be honest. But hey, Hinduism is weird for those not used to it.

I couldnt watch it , unfortunatly my computer is buffering like mad , ....but Hey if they are doing it next year ???.....looks like they need some help !!! Jaganath on a flat bed trailor facing the wrong way !!! ....mind you he's still smiling , ....but honestly Guys the whole point is that the devotees pull him !!!

Oh shucks , ...looks like I was too late for the cheap land :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We could use a 1000 sq. yds. or so. It is so damn costly in Delhi. Will make a Krishna/Rama temple in half the property.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Aupmanyav ji

then with the other half what will you do?, ....Build a Goshala , .....still will only be small you need more :)

I wonder which is Cheaper Deil or Aberystwth , ...:p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, I can have a goshala in half of the half property. I would be satisfied with just 250 sq.yds. for the family. Actually I do not need even that. I am the type of person who can happily live in a tent for all his life. Just a place to protect myself from the elements. A cave would do just as well. :)

Kirran

Premium Member
Interesting. Are there Welsh speakers who are not fluent in English?

Yeah, I reckon quite a lot of people who can get by alright in English but aren't full-on fluent.

There are loads of people who are much more comfortable in Welsh than English.

namaskaram Kirran ji

I couldnt watch it , unfortunatly my computer is buffering like mad , ....but Hey if they are doing it next year ???.....looks like they need some help !!! Jaganath on a flat bed trailor facing the wrong way !!! ....mind you he's still smiling , ....but honestly Guys the whole point is that the devotees pull him !!!

Oh no! Well, when you get the chance.

You'll have to go along next year! Maybe I will also be able to attend, see how it goes.

Oh shucks , ...looks like I was too late for the cheap land :p

In all seriousness, Ceredigion is still probably a very good area to look into, depending on what kind of level of fertility you feel you need.

Certainly you can get good enough highland Ceredigion land for a nice goshala with some fields for them to hang out in,

We could use a 1000 sq. yds. or so. It is so damn costly in Delhi. Will make a Krishna/Rama temple in half the property.

Will you set up a camera in the temple so that RF Hindus can all have an e-puja?

Yes, I can have a goshala in half of the half property. I would be satisfied with just 250 sq.yds. for the family. Actually I do not need even that. I am the type of person who can happily live in a tent for all his life. Just a place to protect myself from the elements. A cave would do just as well. :)

Maybe you can make a house in half of the half of the half property. Will all your family be happy in a big tent? You can get a yurt. I'm sure there is an equivalent from Rajasthan or somewhere.

Other Hindu news from the area:

Skanda Vale's elephant has a new indestructible football. Will soon have a shower of her own in which she can choose mist, power shower etc settings, and a sound system so she can pick different music to play!

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Will you set up a camera in the temple so that RF Hindus can all have an e-puja? Maybe you can make a house in half of the half of the half property. Will all your family be happy in a big tent? You can get a yurt. I'm sure there is an equivalent from Rajasthan or somewhere.
I can (with a little effort) put my wife's puja on net. No, the family will not be happy in the tent. Mughal/Rajasthani yurt/tent. Mughals were from Samarkand. But next year around this time, you might be in India. We will see the Delhi Rath Yatra.

Kirran

Premium Member
But I am more particular about my food.

What foods do you eat/not eat?

I can (with a little effort) put my wife's puja on net. No, the family will not be happy in the tent. Mughal/Rajasthani yurt/tent. Mughals were from Samarkand. But next year around this time, you might be in India. We will see the Delhi Rath Yatra.

Well, don't trouble yourself.

Yes, I do plan to be in India! Although I am failing to register on IndiaMike, somehow. Email won't come through.

Well, I will be some distance from Delhi, as per current plans!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I am a non-vegetarian and like my teeny-weeny drinks. :embarrassed:

Emperor's tent

pabaa021_humayun_the_tent.jpg

Last edited: