• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers for Addiction?

RestlessSoul

3rd Step Prayer AA:​

God, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me, and to do with me as thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always.
-Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Step AA Prayer, the Big BookThe basic text of AA was the first to methodically introduce the 12-steps. It is still the main source for meetings and is quoted in just about all AA and other 12-step literature. the Library of Congress named it one of the 88 “Books that shaped America.” Read more about the Big Book of AA. More Page 63

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The Serenity Prayer

"God (or whoever you pray to), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I'll also add for whoever it is that is struggling through addiction, seek help, either through friends, family, AA/NA, etc., or whoever else might be willing to reach out to you. You are not alone.

PureX

Veteran Member
Sometimes repetitive actions help, too.

In the early days of alcohol recovery, I used to sit cross-legged on the floor holding my dog in my lap rocking forward and back for hours. I imagined God holding onto me as I held onto the dog. Life holding onto life holding onto life.

I also spent many hours pacing. I found the repition to be like a physical mantra. And the physical activity would finally make me tired enough to go to sleep (sober). In those early days, it's whatever works.

But ultimately, it was seeking the help of those who had been through it, and following their directions. I couldn't do it on my own.

Colt

IMOP, in prayer, accept and express defeat, to surrender for us means to join the winning side. I surrendered on 4/28/85, went "all in" with AA, my life radically changed and has been an adventure beyond belief! I haven't had a drink or drug since that day.

.......there is a strange, counterintuitive power that comes from admitting failure...........

ChieftheCef

The Serenity Prayer

"God (or whoever you pray to), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I'll also add for whoever it is that is struggling through addiction, seek help, either through friends, family, AA/NA, etc., or whoever else might be willing to reach out to you. You are not alone.
Thank you, including everyone else for the love.

I'm trying to make one that includes things like how everything that made you unfolded necessarily, and by probability, with an earnest try given with some coaching to make a sort of scientific prayer or chant.

syo

Does anyone have a prayer for addiction?
Is it a forced addiction or did you cause it?

If it is a forced addiction, the person caused it will guide you out of it.

If you caused it, a howlite stone can help you get rid of the addiction.

ChieftheCef

Is it a forced addiction or did you cause it?

If it is a forced addiction, the person caused it will guide you out of it.

If you caused it, a howlite stone can help you get rid of the addiction.
You can't just give vague, spiritual (and thereby entertaining) speech to explain someone how to handle addiction. /:

Please explain what you mean.

syo

You can't just give vague, spiritual (and thereby entertaining) speech to explain someone how to handle addiction. /:

Please explain what you mean.
Psychiatrists have me take psychotropic addictive pills. Only they can tell me how to stop them. I am an addict, not by my choice. So, it's not in my hand to stop my pills addiction.

ChieftheCef

Psychiatrists have me take psychotropic addictive pills. Only they can tell me how to stop them. I am an addict, not by my choice. So, it's not in my hand to stop my pills addiction.
Nope it's totally in your hands. But if you're taking pills prescribed by a doctor you shouldn't stop taking them unless he thinks it's good for you.

PureX

Veteran Member
I am "addicted" to eating, sleeping, and breathing, but I'm OK with it. :)

I think the key, here, is to recognize addiction as something that is stopping us from living our lives as fully and authentically as we otherwise could. Keeping in mind that the ideal is our ideal, not our reality.