• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayer in Buddhism

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Morning folks,

I am used to prayer being asking for something (to who or whatever, doesnt matter). It is somingthing you do, say and offering (how we do in paganism) r sacrifice/fasting as such in some forms of christianity. Zazen, I dont know if that iw a form of prayer as well meditation or is that separate in context?

How does a Buddhist define prayer? Is it another world for meditation? If not, I know some sects give off offerings to the Buddha. Is that a form of prayer?

What is the definition of prayer according to you?

I dont care for wiki and I have searched online. Everyone sees things different. What are your thoughts on prayer in regards to Buddhism?

Last edited:

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
I see no special meaning needed for prayer in Buddhism. One can pray (via a mantra or otherwise) for guidance, help or express reverence or gratitude to any buddha, bodhisattva or arhat.

Even if one thinks of bodhisattvas, buddhas etc as deep aspects of one's mind, there is still a psychological separation and distance - so prayer as way to invoke and close the psychic gap is fine and commonly done.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Morning folks,

I am used to prayer being asking for something (to who or whatever, doesnt matter). It is somingthing you do, say and offering (how we do in paganism) r sacrifice/fasting as such in some forms of christianity. Zazen, I dont know if that iw a form of prayer as well meditation or is that separate in context?

How does a Buddhist define prayer? Is it another world for meditation? If not, I know some sects give off offerings to the Buddha. Is that a form of prayer?

What is the definition of prayer according to you?

I dont care for wiki and I have searched online. Everyone sees things different. What are your thoughts on prayer in regards to Buddhism?
Zazen is not prayer.

Still, having a conversation with yourself oftentimes suffices well enough. I pray a lot that way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Zazen is not prayer.

Still, having a conversation with yourself oftentimes suffices well enough. I pray a lot that way.

Depends. Many Zen Buddhists give honor to the Buddha before zazen. That, and not all prayer is spoken. Its a better word than meditation. Talking to oneself? Most people who pray dont talk to themselves.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Depends. Many Zen Buddhists give honor to the Buddha before zazen. That, and not all prayer is spoken. Its a better word than meditation. Talking to oneself? Most people who pray dont talk to themselves.

True. Yet Zazen remains objectiveless, rising and passing thoughts and sensations acknowledged and let go.

Sometimes however, as You may or may not experience in a zendo, a krack resounds via the kyosaku stick, hitting wherever you are "at". Interrupting. Even if your not the one being struck.

My conversations with myself engages the same manner and purpose by which the stick strikes during Zazen sessions.

Audibly or silent, mind/body depending on the stick itself, and one's disposition at any givin moment becomes open for interpretation and contemplation.

Life itself is a stick.

I therefore pray, "Don't hit me." In spite that you know it's going to happen time to time.

It just feels better to actually say OW once in awhile.

;0]