• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which are your favorite ways to read literature?

• Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like to read literature

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Since there is an entire forum here on RF dedicated to literature, I was hoping we could have a discussion on the ways people consume it. I have an Audible account and have several dozen audiobooks purchased, although I have only listened to a few of them in their entirety, I prefer the audiobook format as a way to consume literature. The biggest downside to audiobook is, it doesn't always know you are following along, and if the book is extremely serial in nature, missing a page or paragraph can be very detrimental to the process of listening to the book.

I like the kind of books that you can pick up anywhere and collect useful information from. What I like to do is get Audible's Plus plan without audiobooks if I feel like picking up any book in particular and then buying three credits at once if I find the right audiobooks to collect, and buying three of them at once saves you money over getting one at a time. Typically when I make a plan and get started listening to audiobooks, I fall asleep before I get truly invested in a book, or, the opposite problem occurs that I'm so invested that I can't sleep with the narrator talking and I have to turn it off to sleep. This happened to me with The Hunger Games that I had the audiobook for before the movie was released.

In this thread I explained that I am writing a book. The way I read my own material is to text-to-speech chapter by chapter in Microsoft Word and have it feed to me the same data I put into it to make sure it all sounds as perfect as it did in my head. I have plenty of examples of all five types of literature, with several hardcover and paperback books, I own an eReader that I forget exists until it needs to charge, and much of my own literature is in document format on my computer.

So, how do you like to consume your literature? I'm making this poll multiple choice if you feel like there is more than one best way to read books. Please, tell us what you think and why.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like physical books.

I don't like reading things electronically. Its hard for me to keep my unbroken focus on a screen that long.

I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect for me, computers have always been for things that require focus bursts, but nothing maintained. I don't have any other 'screens' in my life.