• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pilgrimage to 12 Jyotirlingams

Bhadr

I had darshan of Sri Ramanatha Swamy Jyotirlinga(Rameshwaram) some weeks back.It was a divine experience!
I've had the opportunity to go on yatra to 3 Jyotirnlingams- Sri Ramalinga,Sri Mallinatha(Mallikarjuna) and Sri Gushmeshwara.

Which ones have you visited or would like to visit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirlinga
india-map-jyotirlinga.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Kedar and Somnath, Nageshwara. Nageshwara is interesting. Below the ground. Is it that centuries of sand has buried it?

Kedar is magnificient with a range of snow-clad 22,000 peaks as its backdrop. But it will be years before the signs of 2012 flood destruction would be covered up in which thousands lost their lives. Actually, the old route is abandoned and a new route had to be carved out.

Nageshwara is mysterious. Located in midst of nothing, no big city, no sign of an older temple, all new construction curtesy Gulshan Grover, the CD king, including a huge ugly sitting Shiva idol (indicated by an 'Om' in the Google Earth image, south side up). Just by the side of a small water body and about 12 feet below the ground. Why is it among the 12 Jyotirlingas and revered so much?

Nageshwara.jpg

There is a confusion about location of Nageshwara jyotirlinga. Some consider it to be in Maharashtra, the Aundha Nagnath temple, others at Jageshwara in Uttarkhand.

Aundha Nagnath (See the difference between the base and the top which is a recent construction), Jageshwar is beautiful and peaceful among the Deodar trees.
aim_bn_1314007128.jpg
Jageshwar-Dham.jpg

Last edited:

Bhadr

There is a confusion about location of Nageshwara jyotirlinga. Some consider it to be in Maharashtra, the Aundha Nagnath temple, others at Jageshwara in Uttarkhand.
Yes,according to wiki,it seems that the location of this Jyotirlinga is not clear.
The actual location of the legendary forest of Darukavana is debated. No other important clues indicate the location of the Jyotirlinga. 'Darukavana' remains the only clue.

The name Darukavana, is derived from 'daruvana' - forest of deodar trees (daru vriksha). Deodar trees have been associated with Lord Shiva in ancient Hindu texts. Hindu sages used to reside and perform meditation in deodar forests on Lord Shiva.
Nageshwara is mysterious. Located in midst of nothing, no big city, no sign of an older temple, all new construction curtesy Gulshan Grover, the CD king.Just by the side of a small water body and about 12 feet below the ground. Why is it among the 12 Jyotirlingas and revered so much?
We don't know if this Nageshwara is the actual one or not.However,its still a temple and renovation of any temple by anyone is a good thing.

(Somnath temple was destroyed multiple times by invading armies,rebuilt & again attacked,again rebuilt and attacked.The latest one rebuilt only after Independence.Similarly,Srishailam temple was looted by invaders many times,nothing was left,even bells were taken away.This was recorded in British period documents (of late 1700s)of deccan region.Dept. of Archeaology published records of 1810 as a book.

Temples are still in recovery mode.A national newspaper article online says that income of Srishailam temple during 2014-15 period is about 190 crores,and fixed assets of 5000-6000 acres of land.I don't know if this is only cash donations or includes the tonnes of gold and silver articles the temple receives in dana.Temple website says that an average of 3000-4000 people are given free food daily with the numbers going higher during peak times.)

So Aupji,which other ones would like to visit?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For the present, I will consider Nageswara in Gujarat as the Jyotirlinga because that is the tradition. If God so desires, I will have no objection in visiting Nagnath temple at Aundh. I plead to God to let me visit the Jageshwar temple. I like Himalayas, its multiple Gangas and its deodar trees. But it all depends on 'Prabhu ichha'. Kabir said, 'Jahi bidhi rākhe Rām, tahi bidhi rahiye' (Whatever way God wants one to live, live that way only). :D

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had darshan of Sri Ramanatha Swamy Jyotirlinga(Rameshwaram) some weeks back.It was a divine experience!
I've had the opportunity to go on yatra to 3 Jyotirnlingams- Sri Ramalinga,Sri Mallinatha(Mallikarjuna) and Sri Gushmeshwara.

Which ones have you visited or would like to visit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirlinga

I've been to Rameswaram only. The 22 wells are a wonderful mini-pilgrimage within the temple itself. I doubt if I will get to any more. If we do go to Siva's land again, it would be the 5 elemental temples before the Jyotir lingams. Less arduous of a travel plan. Still, if one and one alone was selected, it would be Kedarnath.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
Thanks Bhadr, very cool to see this map!

The memories, the memories... considering myself a most fortunate devotee, very blessed indeed, while on yatra with Guruji over the years (6 pilgrimages, 7th visit to Mother India was right after his mahasamadhi) he took us to so many famous temples, sites and shrines. Somehow, he even managed to get us into a Devi temple normally forbidden to Westerners. While he was doing his hush-hush talk with the priest (maybe handing over some $, too :)) we devotees appealed to Sri Maa inside by launching into a beautiful bhajan. After hearing us sing coupled with Guruji's persuasion, the priest granted the men and only the ladies dressed in saris entrance.

Of the Jyothirlingams, I've had the privilege of divine darshan of Mahakaleshwar, Kashivishwanath (ohhhhhhhh, the chant begins...! "Hara Hara Mahadev', Kashivishwanatha Gangae"), Mallikharjuna, Kedarnath and Ramanathaswamy. Hunh, first time I've counted. Five: Na Ma Shi Va Ya. Not bad. We collected jal at Kedar and transported it to Rameshwaram.

Vinayakaji, your choice of Kedarnath is excellent. I think that was my most enjoyable in terms of the trek. The journey itself is stunningly beautiful, we got to ride little ponies part way (fun for me, Guruji and his wife traveled in a dholi, I think that's the word). It was just a mite chilly and along parts of the route, vendors have set up shop. We stopped for what I think was the best darn chai I've ever had in my life before or since and all I could think as we continued our climb through the beauty was, "Wow, this whole place is Shiva's garden, what a beautiful garden, Prabho!! Treed cliffsides adorned with flowers, it is simply magnificent. May your wish be granted is all I can say.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Doli, that is in what some pilgrims travel - palaki, palanquin (same meaning). Gangotri was even more beautiful with its deodars trees, particularly at Harsil where Mother Ganges pans out for the first time. Gaumukh was a little dangerous in places with rock falls but Shiva had made an even road across Mother Ganges for us to cross over to the other side. No need to go up the glacier. I do not know what has happened to the route since then. Now, there are many more pilgrims.

e72ffe2488a0ba38e0d2bc6df028b71a.jpg
Doli

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
For the present, I will consider Nageswara in Gujarat as the Jyotirlinga because that is the tradition. If God so desires, I will have no objection in visiting Nagnath temple at Aundh. I plead to God to let me visit the Jageshwar temple. I like Himalayas, its multiple Gangas and its deodar trees. But it all depends on 'Prabhu ichha'. Kabir said, 'Jahi bidhi rākhe Rām, tahi bidhi rahiye' (Whatever way God wants one to live, live that way only). :D

Good morning, Aupji
I second you on the attraction of Himalayas and Ganga Mata! Nowhere else like it on earth, except maybe our Mount Shasta :). (Nahhh, but don't let Him/Her hear me say that!) And, oh that Kabir! That one line of his song says everything there is to say about surrender and sadhana. Guruji used to sing his songs.... Ever since Guru Purnima, I miss him so.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
Doli, that is in what some pilgrims travel - palaki, palanquin (same meaning). Gangotri was even more beautiful with its deodars trees, particularly at Harsil where Mother Ganges pans out for the first time. Gaumukh was a little dangerous in places with rock falls but Shiva had made an even road across Mother Ganges for us to cross over to the other side. No need to go up the glacier. I do not know what has happened to the route since then. Now, there are many more pilgrims.

Ah, doli -- no 'h.' Thanks. Gangotri yes! Kept looking for that Foot, the Source, but couldn't see through all the Matted Locks :p

Bhadr

Aupmanyav said:
Don't know which months are perfect for visit,before it snows this year or maybe next March-April might be good.Hope your wish will get fulfilled.:)
Vinayaka said:
I've been to Rameswaram only. The 22 wells are a wonderful mini-pilgrimage within the temple itself.Less arduous of a travel plan.
I couldn't do the 22 wells bath,did just one,Agni Teertha,the sea dip.During my morning darshan the temple was filled with people rushing from one well to other.The floors were wet everywhere.Such a beautiful place,the huge beautiful temple, the sea view.They have the biggest elephant I ever saw.I had darshan of Sri Parvatavardhini Devi and was walking into the outer mandapa and heard the sound of tinkling bells,turned back and saw an elephant few feet behind me.It came suddenly, out of nowhere! I moved to a side immediately,it looked at me but didn't do anything :D and just walked away with the mahout.

The temple also has the one of the biggest vahana bull,just opposite to Lord Sri Rameshwara.

Vinayaka said:
I doubt if I will get to any more. If we do go to Siva's land again, it would be the 5 elemental temples before the Jyotir lingams.
Its quite easy to visit them,there is a tour package available from Chennai and its really cheap.
3450 Rupees = 52 $.
But there is a catch,you'll have to visit 5 temples in 3 days.

Not my way of doing things,I prefer to do it more leisurely rather than rush around.Maybe 7-8 days.That way it would cost probably 30,000 rupees though.(approx. 500$).
Still, if one and one alone was selected, it would be Kedarnath.
Most people I ask say the same - Sri Kedareshwara.There is a universal appeal,Kedaresha always attracts bhaktas.

Here are some nice pics from the net,I think this is the same elephant that apparated behind me in Rameshwaram

IMG_5056-Edit.jpg

IMG_4957-Edit.jpg

IMG_4958-Edit.jpg

Now,Get Ready For A Virtual Darshan of Sri Kedarnath Mahadev!
http://www.religiousforums.com/media/albums/yatra.935/

Sw. Vandana Jyothi said:
Thanks Bhadr, very cool to see this map!
Yes,its a good map,thanks to whoever made it.
Sw. Vandana Jyothi said:
The memories, the memories... considering myself a most fortunate devotee, very blessed indeed, while on yatra with Guruji over the years (6 pilgrimages, 7th visit to Mother India was right after his mahasamadhi) he took us to so many famous temples, sites and shrines. Somehow, he even managed to get us into a Devi temple normally forbidden to Westerners. While he was doing his hush-hush talk with the priest (maybe handing over some $, too :)) we devotees appealed to Sri Maa inside by launching into a beautiful bhajan. After hearing us sing coupled with Guruji's persuasion, the priest granted the men and only the ladies dressed in saris entrance.
Of the Jyothirlingams, I've had the privilege of divine darshan of Mahakaleshwar, Kashivishwanath (ohhhhhhhh, the chant begins...! "Hara Hara Mahadev', Kashivishwanatha Gangae"), Mallikharjuna, Kedarnath and Ramanathaswamy. Hunh, first time I've counted. Five: Na Ma Shi Va Ya. Not bad. We collected jal at Kedar and transported it to Rameshwaram.
I have a book with me Sri Kedara Purana,it mentions many holy water bodies on and around the Kedara Parvata,the Mandakini,Gauri Tirtha,Haram Papa Tirtha,Retas Kunda....so many pure streams and then there is mother Ganga flowing from Lord Shiva's matted locks.

The road to Srishailam is the most zigzag road I've been on so far.All the way curving down one mountain,crossing the river Krishnaveni and all the way up.Its a very scenic place as it is located in middle of the Nallamalai forest and near by there is a huge dam.

Srisailam Temple (Shakti Peeta of Goddess Bramarambika Devi is behind the Lord's shrine)

about%20srisailam.jpg

Golden Vimana over Lord Mallikarjuna garbhagriha.

L5AP9PZ.jpg

Sw. Vandana Jyothi said:
Vinayakaji, your choice of Kedarnath is excellent. I think that was my most enjoyable in terms of the trek. The journey itself is stunningly beautiful, we got to ride little ponies part way (fun for me, Guruji and his wife traveled in a dholi, I think that's the word). It was just a mite chilly and along parts of the route, vendors have set up shop. We stopped for what I think was the best darn chai I've ever had in my life before or since and all I could think as we continued our climb through the beauty was, "Wow, this whole place is Shiva's garden, what a beautiful garden, Prabho!! Treed cliffsides adorned with flowers, it is simply magnificent. May your wish be granted is all I can say.
From Kedarnath to Rameshwaram,all the way from one end of this punya bhumi to other,wonderful.
Its difficult to choose the most favorite as all are filled with such energy and postivie vibrations but which do one you like the most?

Makes me very happy to read,the way you have described its like I'm doing the Yatra myself.:)

Thank you Vandanaji for sharing your memories with us.:praying:

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Don't know which months are perfect for visit,before it snows this year or maybe next March-April might be good. Hope your wish will get fulfilled. :)
Inshallah. Before the rains (June 15). Rains and the roads have become very dicey these days in Devabhoomi. All due to road building and denudation of forests. Somehow, the link does not open, but here:

kedarnath-temple-and-mountain.jpg
images
Winters.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bhadr, we are 'slow' pilgrims like you. No more than one temple per day. We did the arapadaveedu like this: Tiruparankandrm 2 days, Tiruchendur, 2 days, Palani, 3 days, Swamimalia, 2 days. Tiruttani, 1 day, and the last one (can't spell it, or say it) 1 day. If I go to Tiruvanamalai, it will be a t least 3 days, maybe a week right there. This hurry hurry thing isn't for me ... at all.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
Don't know which months are perfect for visit,before it snows this year or maybe next March-April might be good.Hope your wish will get fulfilled.:)

I couldn't do the 22 wells bath,did just one,Agni Teertha,the sea dip.During my morning darshan the temple was filled with people rushing from one well to other.The floors were wet everywhere.Such a beautiful place,the huge beautiful temple, the sea view.They have the biggest elephant I ever saw.I had darshan of Sri Parvatavardhini Devi and was walking into the outer mandapa and heard the sound of tinkling bells,turned back and saw an elephant few feet behind me.It came suddenly, out of nowhere! I moved to a side immediately,it looked at me but didn't do anything :D and just walked away with the mahout.

The temple also has the one of the biggest vahana bull,just opposite to Lord Sri Rameshwara.

Its quite easy to visit them,there is a tour package available from Chennai and its really cheap.
3450 Rupees = 52 $.
But there is a catch,you'll have to visit 5 temples in 3 days.

Not my way of doing things,I prefer to do it more leisurely rather than rush around.Maybe 7-8 days.That way it would cost probably 30,000 rupees though.(approx. 500$).

Most people I ask say the same - Sri Kedareshwara.There is a universal appeal,Kedaresha always attracts bhaktas.

Here are some nice pics from the net,I think this is the same elephant that apparated behind me in Rameshwaram

IMG_5056-Edit.jpg

IMG_4957-Edit.jpg

IMG_4958-Edit.jpg

Now,Get Ready For A Virtual Darshan of Sri Kedarnath Mahadev!
http://www.religiousforums.com/media/albums/yatra.935/

Yes,its a good map,thanks to whoever made it.

I have a book with me Sri Kedara Purana,it mentions many holy water bodies on and around the Kedara Parvata,the Mandakini,Gauri Tirtha,Haram Papa Tirtha,Retas Kunda....so many pure streams and then there is mother Ganga flowing from Lord Shiva's matted locks.

The road to Srishailam is the most zigzag road I've been on so far.All the way curving down one mountain,crossing the river Krishnaveni and all the way up.Its a very scenic place as it is located in middle of the Nallamalai forest and near by there is a huge dam.

Srisailam Temple (Shakti Peeta of Goddess Bramarambika Devi is behind the Lord's shrine)

about%20srisailam.jpg

Golden Vimana over Lord Mallikarjuna garbhagriha.

L5AP9PZ.jpg

From Kedarnath to Rameshwaram,all the way from one end of this punya bhumi to other,wonderful.
Its difficult to choose the most favorite as all are filled with such energy and postivie vibrations but which do one you like the most?

Makes me very happy to read,the way you have described its like I'm doing the Yatra myself.:)

Thank you Vandanaji for sharing your memories with us.:praying:

Heh heh heh, as you say MOST difficult to select a favorite, Sri Bhadrji! And I'm delighted to share these precious memories; BTW, you've posted some fantastic pics, it brings it all back again. Gonna take your "virtual tour" next. My heart swells both with longing and appreciation for Bharat. Praying that She gets a handle on the unruly bulls over there, if you get my drift. The US press is unrelentingly focusing on those kinds of events and I feel defenseless when folks over here skewer me with questions about it, especially when they have read how India "reveres" its womenfolk. Oy vey, the dichotomy!!

But my favorite? The whole of Varanasi (Kashi) stole a major portion of my heart in 1994 then and there. Can't really say whether it was the darshan of the lingam or the sannyas initiation at the feet of my Master in the boat on the bosom of Ganga... or the cow who walked down the steps of the ghat afterwards "to greet me." Y'all are seeing the error right there? Still had ego left over, darn it! So first I go up the steps to offer pranams to Gomata, head is on straight at that point, but then ego thinks, "Oh, She came down to say 'Hi' to me!" As soon as I thought that, Maa butted me so hard, I almost fell all the way back down to the river!! :oops: A work in progress, a work in progress.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
True. I too will not know how to pronounce 'zha'. Perhaps Bhadr can help is. Is it like Kazhagam, Bhadr, if you can enlighten us?
However, which temple interests you in Thiruvannamalai, Vinayaka? I see there are a few.

Bhadr

Heh heh heh, as you say MOST difficult to select a favorite, Sri Bhadrji! And I'm delighted to share these precious memories; BTW, you've posted some fantastic pics, it brings it all back again. Gonna take your "virtual tour" next. My heart swells both with longing and appreciation for Bharat. Praying that She gets a handle on the unruly bulls over there, if you get my drift. The US press is unrelentingly focusing on those kinds of events and I feel defenseless when folks over here skewer me with questions about it, especially when they have read how India "reveres" its womenfolk. Oy vey, the dichotomy!!

But my favorite? The whole of Varanasi (Kashi) stole a major portion of my heart in 1994 then and there. Can't really say whether it was the darshan of the lingam or the sannyas initiation at the feet of my Master in the boat on the bosom of Ganga... or the cow who walked down the steps of the ghat afterwards "to greet me." Y'all are seeing the error right there? Still had ego left over, darn it! So first I go up the steps to offer pranams to Gomata, head is on straight at that point, but then ego thinks, "Oh, She came down to say 'Hi' to me!" As soon as I thought that, Maa butted me so hard, I almost fell all the way back down to the river!! :oops: A work in progress, a work in progress.
:thumbsup:
Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambho Kashi Vishwanatha Gange!

Vinayaka, I think it must be Pazhamudircholai Murugan Temple in Madurai District, one of the Arupadaiveedu. :)

Yes, that's it. You see why I can't spell nor say it?
Pazhamudircholai is also known as Solaimalai.Two of the the six temples are near Madurai.

Thirupparankundram is nearer,about 10 km or so.The temple was built by cutting into the mountain upwards,what a task in those days!I actually like the sanctum Ganesha and Shivalingam more.The sanctum isn't like usual southern sanctums but its a single cave with Devasenapati Subrahmanya Swami,Devi,Ganesha,Shivalingam all beside each other in one sanctum (there is a magnificent Uma Maheshwara carved on the wall behind the lingam).If you are in Madurai you must visit this temple.

Last edited:

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Kashi Vishwanatha Gange!
:thumbsup:

Oh, yes!!! That's it, that's it, now the melody and rhythm's all there, thanks!! Soaring off to Kashi again....

(We gotta get that aspirated 'h' in Shambho, thoug. I snagged one for ya :D)