• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peak mollycoddling

Apparently, warning someone about potentially offensive content can actually be considered offensive. Check your microaggressions folks!

Everyday Feminism definitely believes in giving people a heads up about material that might provoke our reader’s trauma. However, we use the phrase “content warning” instead of “trigger warning,” as the word “trigger” relies on and evokes violent weaponry imagery. This could be re-traumatizing for folks who have suffered military, police, and other forms of violence. So, while warnings are so necessary and the points in this article are right on, we strongly encourage the term “content warning” instead of “trigger warning.”

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/guide-to-triggering/

It should also be noted that the word 'warning' implies a sense of imminent danger and can thus be responsible for triggering activating a negative response. As such I strongly encourage using the phrase "content advisory". Actually, I probably shouldn't "strongly" encourage, as "strongly" carries connotations of domineering masculinity and the inherent reenforcement of tradition gender stereotypes. So I kindly hope people will choose to use the term "friendly and non-compulsory content advisory" before writing about pretty much anything.

Is this peak mollycoddling, or can anyone beat provide a better example of the modern need to avoid exposure to anything that someone doesn't like?

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Truly, the coddling levels are insane. This is why i'm in the middle. Not left, not right, but where these two ideologies are needed, at an equal level.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is this peak mollycoddling, or can anyone beat provide a better example of the modern need to avoid exposure to anything that someone doesn't like?

Sure. A better example -- better in some ways, at least -- would be the modern tendency to censor any speech found offensive on the grounds that offense can amount to harm. It's a better example because it would create an easy to exploit opportunity for destroying liberties and freedoms of all stripes, since nearly all liberties and freedoms ultimately depend on free speech. The notion that offense can be grounds for censoring speech should be written on toilet paper and the paper then subjected to its normal use and disposal. It is dangerous and amounts to mollycoddling.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Any criticism of trendy politically correct terms or concepts is equivalent to torturing kittens. You wouldn't want to torture kittens, would you?
No, but i'd stuff em in a bag and send them to Timbuktu before they start ranting on about transgender issues

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Making light of the plight of transgendered kittens is highly offensive and insensitive. You should be ashamed.
Transgender kittens. I laughed and smiled :D
I apologise Mr Trout, i'll send them to HELL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Content advisory" is potentially threatening because it discriminates
against people suffering life difficulties, who are clearly not content.
It also runs the risk of suggesting advise that contentment awaits the reader.
So it should be "discontent advisory".

Even the term "micro-aggression" is offensive to the point of being an
assault. It's patronizing (which is etymologically sexist) & insulting
because "micro" is a dismissive prefix, thereby creating "erasure".
We must use "macro-aggression".
Anything less is racist transphobic misogynist homophobic gas lighting erasure.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So trigger warnings require trigger warnings now? When is this ridiculous SJW fad going to fade?
It might never.
Some people need to feel victimized.
It excuses personal failure, weakness, sloth, paranoia, & prejudice.
As things for them & the groups they identify with, this need doesn't evaporate.
So they'll seek ever more minor slights over which to rage & obsess.
We've only one defense against their authoritarian demands.
Don't coddle them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Whaaaaaa.... This thread ... has forced me .... to run to .... my nearest safe.... zone.... to get oxygen....

*Curls up in a ball, sucking his thumb*

dust1n

Zindīq
Apparently, warning someone about potentially offensive content can actually be considered offensive. Check your microaggressions folks!

Seems more self-congratulatory than actually concerned with anyone else.

Oh well, welcome to the Internet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You should've issued a discontent advisory!
What if I were lactose intolerant.....or touch averse.....or feared seeing men cry?
Check your privilege, you macro-aggressor!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The thing I find most annoying about the article is Brown's apparent utter defeatism. She seems to see being "trigger happy" as a chronic disease beyond her control. She insists on remaining a victim.

She describes two totally irrational triggers from her own life. She made her dad feel bad for buying her an expensive gift. But nowhere in that article was there a hint of a solution.
In fact, the last paragraph may as well be a demand that we healthy people learn how to feed the illness. Give people positive feedback for behaving irrationally. That is stupid and destructive.
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Everyday Feminism definitely believes in giving people a heads up about material that might provoke our reader’s trauma. However, we use the phrase “content warning” instead of “trigger warning,” as the word “trigger” relies on and evokes violent weaponry imagery. This could be re-traumatizing for folks who have suffered military, police, and other forms of violence. So, while warnings are so necessary and the points in this article are right on, we strongly encourage the term “content warning” instead of “trigger warning.”

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/guide-to-triggering/

It should also be noted that the word 'warning' implies a sense of imminent danger and can thus be responsible for triggering activating a negative response. As such I strongly encourage using the phrase "content advisory". Actually, I probably shouldn't "strongly" encourage, as "strongly" carries connotations of domineering masculinity and the inherent reenforcement of tradition gender stereotypes. So I kindly hope people will choose to use the term "friendly and non-compulsory content advisory" before writing about pretty much anything.

Are these articles real?
My goodness. So people may have 'triggers' for no reason at all (in the words of the article) and we are supposed to work around these by ensuring the triggers aren't used/shown/etc to the 'victim'? Phhht...the name for that is 'enabling' in my opinion.

The level of psychological HARM this type of enablement can cause is very real.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It might never.
Some people need to feel victimized.
It excuses personal failure, weakness, sloth, paranoia, & prejudice.
As things for them & the groups they identify with, this need doesn't evaporate.
So they'll seek ever more minor slights over which to rage & obsess.
We've only one defense against their authoritarian demands.
Don't coddle them.

If society become wholly and truly equal, where race, gender, etc. were completely irrelevant, these people would pull their hair out.