• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Ten Commandments monument must go

jojom

"OKLAHOMA CITY (RNS) The Oklahoma Supreme Court ordered a Ten Commandments monument removed from the state Capitol grounds Tuesday (June 30), three years after its installation sparked a religious feud.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma first filed a lawsuit challenging the monument’s constitutionality in 2013.

In a 7-2 ruling, the justices said the monument was in violation of Article 2, Section 5 of the Oklahoma Constitution. The article states that public money or property cannot be used or donated “ … for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion … ”

The wording is critical because the monument was purchased with private donations but placed on public land.

Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Ten Commandments monument must go - Religion News Service"

About time.

Baladas

An Págánach
Good.
I would not oppose statues or monuments with religious imagery, so long as all religions are welcome to place monuments.

I would prefer if scriptures from any religion were not publicly displayed at length in any case.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
"OKLAHOMA CITY (RNS) The Oklahoma Supreme Court ordered a Ten Commandments monument removed from the state Capitol grounds Tuesday (June 30), three years after its installation sparked a religious feud.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma first filed a lawsuit challenging the monument’s constitutionality in 2013.

In a 7-2 ruling, the justices said the monument was in violation of Article 2, Section 5 of the Oklahoma Constitution. The article states that public money or property cannot be used or donated “ … for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion … ”

The wording is critical because the monument was purchased with private donations but placed on public land.

Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Ten Commandments monument must go - Religion News Service"

About time.

Agreed.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

About time.
I can't wait for someone to ignorantly claim that this was because of the Federal Government.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not oppose statues or monuments with religious imagery, so long as all religions are welcome to place monuments.

But then of course we'd have a certain majority religion whining that it's offensive to see representations of "false gods". :rolleyes:

In case it's not obvious, I'm sick to death of all this victimization and "woe is us, we're poor, poor persecuted, Christians".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
But then of course we'd have a certain majority religion whining that it's offensive to see representations of "false gods". :rolleyes:

In case it's not obvious, I'm sick to death of all this victimization and "woe is us, we're poor, poor persecuted, Christians".

I'd be happy to support statues of Thor at the White House... :smirk:

images

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would definitely support this. It seems to speak to the American ideals much better.
There has been some controversy over this.
The fundies prefer "In God We Trust".
The secularists prefer "Mind Your Business".
I propose a compromise.....
"Mind Someone Else's Business"