• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nutshell vs. __________ (I gotta go potty)

nutshell

I have to run to the bathroom real quick, but I wanted to post this challenge.

Is anyone up for a one-on-one debate? If so, respond while I going potty :bonk: .

You choose the topic of debate and make the first opening argument. I'll come back and respond and the debate will begin.

Any takers?

See you soon.

Aqualung

Tasty
nutshell said:
I have to run to the bathroom real quick, but I wanted to post this challenge.

Is anyone up for a one-on-one debate? If so, respond while I going potty :bonk: .

You choose the topic of debate and make the first opening argument. I'll come back and respond and the debate will begin.

Any takers?

See you soon.
Ummmm, I'll debate you about your sola scripturalist PoV. :D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My opening statement and scripture is as follows...

"Jesus answered "Most assuredly I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh but that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:5-6 (NKJV)

This is the weakest of my scripture to support my stance but I feel it's good enough to start with.

And now my official opening statement...

Water baptism is an important symbol of the rebirth in Christ but is not necessary to enter the Kingdom of God.

The Spiritual baptism however, IS required to enter the Kingdom of God.

nutshell

dawny0826 said:
My opening statement and scripture is as follows...

"Jesus answered "Most assuredly I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh but that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:5-6 (NKJV)

This is the weakest of my scripture to support my stance but I feel it's good enough to start with.

And now my official opening statement...

Water baptism is an important symbol of the rebirth in Christ but is not necessary to enter the Kingdom of God.

The Spiritual baptism however, IS required to enter the Kingdom of God.
Great start. Thanks, dawny.

I think you'll find that I agree with you on most of your argument. I do not see this as an either/or issue. Rather, I believe baptism of water and of the Spirit are both necessary.

Jesus told Nicodemus as much when he said in John 3:5 "Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." (KJV)

It's interesting to note we used the same scripture to support our arguments. Obviously, the interpretations are a bit different. the NKJV does not mention being born of water, which I interpret to mean baptism.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
LOL! We're probably not going to have much to debate.

Jesus says in Mark 16:16

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved: but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Do you think that in this verse, Jesus is referring to the water or spiritual baptism? Or both?

nutshell

dawny0826 said:
LOL! We're probably not going to have much to debate.

Jesus says in Mark 16:16

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved: but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Do you think that in this verse, Jesus is referring to the water or spiritual baptism? Or both?
I believe Jesus was refering to both.

Where does that leave us?:D

nutshell

dawny0826 said:
Methinks my topic sucked!:faint:

If we ever engage in debate again...you choose next time.:D
Deal. That might have been the shortest debate in RF history.

You might enjoy this article.

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates$fn=default.htm$xhitlist_q=%5BRank+500%5D%28%5BField+general+conference%3ABorn%20Again%5D%29$xhitlist_x=Advanced$xhitlist_s=relevance-weight$xhitlist_d=Magazines$xhitlist_hc=%5BXML%5D%5Bkwic%2C0%5D$xhitlist_xsl=xhitlist.xsl$xhitlist_vpc=first$xhitlist_sel=title%3Bpath%3Bcontent-type%3Bhome-title%3Bhit-context%3Bfield%3Azr%3Bfield%3ARef

It is a talk given by Dallin H Oaks, one of our Apostles. The talk is titles "Have You Been Saved" and speaks about some of what we've been "debating." :)