• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims, Do you consider Zarathustra as a Prophet?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hmmm... I can't answer it in terms of what Zoroastrians believe, in all honesty. Keep in mind that my knowledge on the subject is extremely limited. I just started learning this myself, so I can't speak for what Zoroastrians believe.

That said, if you are asking what I, Corthos, believe personally, then I will give you my extremely ignorant opinion. =)

I think truths are timeless. Zoroaster sung of the importance of things such as acceptance for people - regardless of their differences.

Whoever is very good to the righteous
whether a relative, or a member of the community,
or, O Lord, a member of the fellowship,
or serves the living world with zeal,
lives indeed in the domain of righteousness
and good mind.

This verse is sensible to me. This is as true now as it was 3500 years ago. THIS is the test of a true teacher's words. Do I consider him a prophet for this, however?

Hmmm... It's a new idea to me. I'm used to the idea that prophets do amazing miracles and are blessed with supernatural powers. But, if these miracles are so powerful, then why is there no third party accounts for these miraculous things?

When Moses parts the Red Sea, you would think that Egypt or other neighbors near by would record this amazingly supernatural phenomenon. The only third party accounts of Jesus` miracles, that I'm aware of, were written by Josephus, and it's generally accepted by scholars that the segments about Jesus were altered later by Christians (and are thus, false). If Mohamed split the moon, why didn't any of the other star gazing peoples in the world write about something so astonishing that could be easily seen with the naked eye?

Moreover, these prophets have done/said things that just don't agree with me... God killing the first born children of the people of Egypt via Moses (also not recorded)?! Jesus telling the Canaanite woman that he wouldn't cure her daughter because "It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs." (in other words, racism), and Mohamed... Well... You get the point.

That's not to say that they didn't speak truths as well, and THAT would point to their worth as teachers (prophets). =) Then again, there have been many great men with startling truths... For example.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." -Ghandi

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela

Ultimately, one shouldn't look for truth to be proven by some supernatural feat, I feel, but it will be self evident in it's timelessness. The person who contributes a stunningly profound truth isn't more profound than the truth itself, but you still may want to pay attention to other things they might say... ;)

So could there be a "prophet" at the same level as Zoroaster? I feel that is an irrelevant question, as truth is truth no matter who says it.

These are my opinions, but they are subject to change. I like keeping an open mind as I figure these things out, heh.... Especially since I have only just started to read the Avesta. I really wish I had more time to devote to this stuff. XP
The things that Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, Socrates, Muhammad, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835-1908) etc., said as they got-enlightened from the source of Word of Revelation from Truth as they were in communion and converse with the Truth are not subject to change as they were/are 100% correct, instead humanity needs to travel in time to reach them to get peace.
Zoroastrians could believe anything they like when they could not keep the treasure that was revealed on Zoroaster, secure and pristine they have no authority to change his words, instead they themselves need to change to his words.
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Muslims, Do you consider Zarathustra as a Prophet?

Yes, we do, not only Zarathustra but Cyrus the Great we also consider him a prophet of G-d, he is mentioned in Quran under the title name of Zulqarnain.
Regards