• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Reform Movement

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This seems fantastic to me. A group of Muslim scholars (albeit from "the West"), who are addressing the problems of modern Islam, and seem to be addressing those problems honestly!

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7009/muslim-reform-movement

I'm especially interested in hearing what the Muslims at RF think about this declaration, but of course everyone can pile on :)

(I have to confess they had me when they mentioned the UN Declaration of Human Rights.)

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Secular islam is a better word than reform in islamic culture. Reform may mean to change the rule of God but secularism does not mean that. That's what I monitored in a decade living with them.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
We reject bigotry, oppression and violence against all people based on any prejudice, including ethnicity, gender, language, belief, religion, sexual orientation and gender expression.

I would support Islam within these values.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This seems fantastic to me. A group of Muslim scholars (albeit from "the West"), who are addressing the problems of modern Islam, and seem to be addressing those problems honestly!

I'm especially interested in hearing what the Muslims at RF think about this declaration, but of course everyone can pile on :)

(I have to confess they had me when they mentioned the UN Declaration of Human Rights.)
A great idea in principle, but as soon as I saw that M. Zuhdi Jasser, M.D was one of the signatories I realized this movement is not going anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I am quite fond of Jasser, but he has almost no support in the Muslim community at large.

Useless2015

They are muslims who are under the impression they have to justify their own religion for non-muslims approval. They are against the rise of an Islaamic caliphate. I doubt they are muslims at all. How can a muslim prefer manmade laws over the law of God ?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

actuatly there is some movement against extrem scholars , by some moderate scholars as Dr Adnan Ibrahim ,btw i made a thread about :)

Our Religion is Hijacked

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
second video
ISIS and the persecution of Christians in Iraq.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
They are muslims who are under the impression they have to justify their own religion for non-muslims approval. They are against the rise of an Islaamic caliphate. I doubt they are muslims at all. How can a muslim prefer manmade laws over the law of God ?

Or, rather, they're Muslims who don't particularly like the way it's used to justify barbaric actions in this day and age. Want to marry and have sex with a child? It's okay under Islam because Mohammed did it. Want to treat people who believe differently from you like second-class citizens and make them pay extra taxes? Yup, that's fine; Islam has one designed specifically for that. Hate the way some people believe in more than one god? You can kill them - the Qur'an says so.

They want to apply their god's laws to their own lives - not force them on other people. They believe their god is compassionate, humane & just and want to reflect this in their practise of Islam.

If Islam is really about no compulsion in religion then these guys have got the right idea. The fact that you (and plenty of other Muslims) can't seem to even tolerate a different religious opinion shows that this probably isn't actually the case.

Useless2015

Or, rather, they're Muslims who don't particularly like the way it's used to justify barbaric actions in this day and age.

What barbaric actions?

Want to marry and have sex with a child? It's okay under Islam because Mohammed did it.

No it doesn't work that way. There are clear rules about that in the Quran and only allowed to marry with permission with girls who reached the age of puberty.

Want to treat people who believe differently from you like second-class citizens and make them pay extra taxes? Yup, that's fine; Islam has one designed specifically for that.
Its not extra taxes, its taxes for security to practice their faith without being disturbed or discriminated. Also i like to add that Muslims are forced in Sharia(if able) to pay for the poor of society and non-muslims aren't.

Hate the way some people believe in more than one god? You can kill them - the Qur'an says so.

Where does the Quran say that?

They want to apply their god's laws to their own lives - not force them on other people. They believe their god is compassionate, humane & just and want to reflect this in their practise of Islam.

You mean they want to cherry pick like Christians and Jews? Why believe in God if you don't believe in his Words?

Islam is really about no compulsion in religion then these guys have got the right idea. The fact that you (and plenty of other Muslims) can't seem to even tolerate a different religious opinion shows that this probably isn't actually the case.

They haven't got the right idea, they are sugarcoating Islaam just so people like you can say 'muslims are humans too'. As for me as a muslim, i don't need your approval. I know that Islaam does not teach anything hurtful:)

Unification

It's actually the complete opposite and other way around of what you just said.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I agree with the following objectives of the movement:
  • "We reject interpretations of Islam that call for any violence, social injustice and politicized Islam. We invite our fellow Muslims and neighbors to join us.
  • We reject bigotry, oppression and violence against all people based on any prejudice, including ethnicity, gender, language, belief, religion, sexual orientation and gender expression.
  • We are for secular governance, democracy and liberty.
  • Every individual has the right to publicly express criticism of Islam. Ideas do not have rights. Human beings have rights.
  • We stand for peace, human rights and secular governance. Please stand with us!"
Unquote​

But the reform should be linked to Quran and Muhammad, who have not been mentioned in the article.
Regards

outhouse

Atheistically

That is not really reform, I would say that's like 15% of the definition

That Is like saying we want to be non violent like YEC Christians, but were keeping ALL of the fanaticism and fundamentalism that breeds terrorism.

REFORM would mean they would be willing to accept academic reality, change their views on science

outhouse

Atheistically
Secular islam

That is two total opposites.

The definition of secular should be "not Islamic"

If a muslim was secular, he would not be a msulim. A requirement is to avoid academic knowledge. Remember you would be asking people not to trust koran. It wont happen.

Its like how we try and address our YEC problems. Most grown up people will not change their minds no matter how credible the knowledge is. We can sometimes reach their children however.

Unification

"Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book (the Quran) fully detailed ?"6:114

A spiritual/metaphysical inner book.

I get it though. Most hate what they don't have. If someone is miserable and another has peace, the miserable will hate peace.

If someone is enslaved by a bunch of exoteric religious laws, they will hate freedom.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You mean they want to cherry pick like Christians and Jews? Why believe in God if you don't believe in his Words?
To a Christian, Christ is the literal Word of God (the Logos) - not the Bible. The Bible is just a book. It's special to us but it's still just a book (collection of books, really). We don't worship a book.

Useless2015

To a Christian, Christ is the literal Word of God (the Logos) - not the Bible. The Bible is just a book. It's special to us but it's still just a book (collection of books, really). We don't worship a book.

So how do you know that Jesus is the literal Word of God without the Bible? Its not just a book anymore is it?