• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Dawkins idiocy...

Earlier today, arch-buffoon Richard Dawkins tweeted these:

Richard Dawkins ‏@RichardDawkins 10h10 hours ago
Religious faiths such as Stalinism, Nazism & Islam are dangerous because they teach that pie-in-the-sky Ends justify horrific Means.

Richard Dawkins ‏@RichardDawkins 9h9 hours ago
Evidence-free ideologies such as Stalinism, Nazism & Islam are dangerous because they teach that pie-in-the-sky Ends justify horrific Means

These are classic examples of why he is far less rational than he believes himself to be.

The first one labels Stalinism and Naziism 'religions' to support his ideological assumptions. His arguments about the "unique danger" of religious belief have to come up against the major flaw that some non-religious ideologies have been even more murderous than the religions he hates. To solve this, hey why not just just say that they are religions instead?

But don't they have the characteristics of religions?

Well, it is certainly arguable, but the problem, from his perspective, is that if these are 'religions', then you have to conclude that ideologies such as humanism or Western liberalism are also religions.

These are ideologies that contend that they are universal and innate to 'humanity', humanity itself is a religious construct as it universalism. They place a mystical value on something, in this case the individual and its inalienable human rights. They also preach salvation, for Dawkins, salvation comes through science, reason, democracy and respect for individual rights. As with religious people, he believes that there is one correct way of living, which, by happy coincidence, just happens to be the same as the one as he believes in.

So, on to the 2nd tweet. Instead of religion, it is now "evidence free ideologies" that are the problem. All of the world's problems are cause by people's lack of reason. It is important to note that he didn't refer to utopian ideologies being problematic, just "evidence free" ones. Irrational, unscientific thinking again is the cause of all evil.

Unfortunately for Mr Dawkins, he is a humanist, and if any ideology meets the criterion of being "evidence free", it is humanism. Yet again, he fails to realise that his own beliefs are disproved by any scientific criteria and are wholly irrational.

There is no humanity, no universal human rights, no salvation through reason. Yet he is entirely confident in the fact that his beliefs are perfectly rational and evidence based. Not only is there no evidence to support his views, but there is a mountain of evidence to disprove them.

The problem is not with "evidence free" ideologies, but utopian ones. Radical Islam, Stalinism and Naziism were indeed utopian, and this quest for utopia justifies the cruellest means. Unfortunately for him, Dawkins own ideology is also utopian. For example, a significant number of Humanists supported the neo-conservative/liberal interventionist wars. Fighting wars to establish human right and Western values is utopian. Any ideology that sees itself as universal is utopian.

But, the problem with utopian thinkers is that they can see the irrational utopianism in the ideas of others, but not within themselves.

This is not to say that humanism or liberalism are 'bad' or comparable to Stalinism, radical Islamism, etc., it's just that if you want to attack these ideologies you need to understand the basis for your own belief system.

Some ideologies are preferable to others, it's just that people are never going to agree on which ones. In the modern world, we have the problem that these competing belief systems are brought into contact with each other too much.

No matter how desirable it may be though, you aren't going to convince everybody that they must adopt your value system because it more 'factual'. This is not because they are blind to the evidence, but that you are blind to your utopianism.

Ideologies are how you explain to yourself how the world works. They are myths, not evidence based truths.

History very clearly shows us that we are never all going to believe in the same myths.

There is no solution to this problem, but accepting that our own myths are not universal at least might prevent us from further stoking the flames.

outhouse

Atheistically
These are classic examples of why he is far less rational than he believes himself to be.

Stalinism, Nazism & Islam

Do you think these are positive things?

Do you think there is no room for improvement?

Radical Islam

Dont you think in this religion, the line is much thinner between normal follower of the faith and radical? I mean after all some regular muslims are joining isis for $50 and a cell phone.

In this religion there is not a huge gap between radical and typical. The religion in my eyes requires more fanaticism and fundamentalism then any other large faith.

I don't find his statements out of line because he is telling the truth.

Do you think these are positive things?

Read again, more carefully this time...

I don't find his statements out of line because he is telling the truth.

I agree that the things he is criticising deserve to be criticised. I'm just pointing out that his own views meet the criteria on which he was criticising these views making him both ignorant and a hypocrite.

The problem is how strongly one defends his myths against reality.

Dawkins is pretty forceful defending his myths against reality. Obviously this is very different from people defending them violently though.

Just to make it clear, I'm not comparing his views to Stalinism/Salafi-jihadism in the sense that they are 'evil'. I'm simply highlighting that he is attacking them based on certain criteria that are shared with his own views. It's not about moral relativism, it's about people not realising that their own views are based on similar reasoning to those they are criticising.

I'm criticising his lack of self-awareness as regards the root of his own belief system. He is a buffoon rather than being a bad person.

If people are passionate about 'reason', then it must surely be a good thing to point out when they are not meeting this criteria in their own ideologies.

Dawkins criticises 'moderate' religious believers for paving the way for the fanatics. He himself is a 'moderate' believer in utopianism though, and shares the same faults that he finds contemptible in others.

outhouse

Atheistically
Dawkins criticises 'moderate' religious believers for paving the way for the fanatics.

This is a very credible concern.

It is discussing the thin line in islam between typical and radical.

It needs to be addressed IMHO far more aggressively then he is doing.

Useless2015

0319_iraq-war.jpg
0.jpg
This is where 'radical' islaam comes from:
iraq2003-a-invasion001.jpg

82nd_AB_Mosul.jpg

ir%20banner.jpg

iraq-bush.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Skwim

Veteran Member

Religious faiths such as Stalinism, Nazism & Islam are dangerous because they teach that pie-in-the-sky Ends justify horrific Means.

Evidence-free ideologies such as Stalinism, Nazism & Islam are dangerous because they teach that pie-in-the-sky Ends justify horrific Means

Didn't see these two statements presented as quotes from him. Are you suggesting they are? If so, what is your basis?

Now then - it IS possible 2 disagree with someone's views without resorting 2 insults.

I may not agree with Dawkins but I still wish him pace of mind & happiness.

I wish the same 4 you too.

:)

A buffoon is a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown. I find the label fits him. He isn't a bad person, just an arrogant fool who means well.

Didn't see these two statements presented as quotes from him. Are you suggesting they are? If so, what is your basis?

He posted them on his Twitter with no attribution so I assume they reflect his personal views. Wouldn't you?

What are they?

Did you read the original post?

If you did, explain to me how his beliefs are not myths...

This is a very credible concern.

It is discussing the thin line in islam between typical and radical.

It needs to be addressed IMHO far more aggressively then he is doing.

Do you agree that Dawkins is a utopian? If not, explain why his views are based on evidence and are achievable.

Again, this post is not about "humanism v Islamism - which is best?" it is about him criticising beliefs specifically for having characteristics that are reflected in his own beliefs.

I'm not saying you can't legitimately criticise the beliefs he is criticising, just that you can't criticise them for the reasons he is doing if you own beliefs have the same qualities.

He fails to realise that his own beliefs are based on utopian myths and have "religious" qualities.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.

The first one labels Stalinism and Naziism 'religions' to support his ideological assumptions. His arguments about the "unique danger" of religious belief have to come up against the major flaw that some non-religious ideologies have been even more murderous than the religions he hates. To solve this, hey why not just just say that they are religions instead?

But don't they have the characteristics of religions?

Well, it is certainly arguable, but the problem, from his perspective, is that if these are 'religions', then you have to conclude that ideologies such as humanism or Western liberalism are also religions.

These are ideologies that contend that they are universal and innate to 'humanity', humanity itself is a religious construct as it universalism. They place a mystical value on something, in this case the individual and its inalienable human rights. They also preach salvation, for Dawkins, salvation comes through science, reason, democracy and respect for individual rights. As with religious people, he believes that there is one correct way of living, which, by happy coincidence, just happens to be the same as the one as he believes in.

So, on to the 2nd tweet. Instead of religion, it is now "evidence free ideologies" that are the problem. All of the world's problems are cause by people's lack of reason. It is important to note that he didn't refer to utopian ideologies being problematic, just "evidence free" ones. Irrational, unscientific thinking again is the cause of all evil.

Unfortunately for Mr Dawkins, he is a humanist, and if any ideology meets the criterion of being "evidence free", it is humanism. Yet again, he fails to realise that his own beliefs are disproved by any scientific criteria and are wholly irrational.

There is no humanity, no universal human rights, no salvation through reason. Yet he is entirely confident in the fact that his beliefs are perfectly rational and evidence based. Not only is there no evidence to support his views, but there is a mountain of evidence to disprove them.

The problem is not with "evidence free" ideologies, but utopian ones. Radical Islam, Stalinism and Naziism were indeed utopian, and this quest for utopia justifies the cruellest means. Unfortunately for him, Dawkins own ideology is also utopian. For example, a significant number of Humanists supported the neo-conservative/liberal interventionist wars. Fighting wars to establish human right and Western values is utopian. Any ideology that sees itself as universal is utopian.

But, the problem with utopian thinkers is that they can see the irrational utopianism in the ideas of others, but not within themselves.

This is not to say that humanism or liberalism are 'bad' or comparable to Stalinism, radical Islamism, etc., it's just that if you want to attack these ideologies you need to understand the basis for your own belief system.

Some ideologies are preferable to others, it's just that people are never going to agree on which ones. In the modern world, we have the problem that these competing belief systems are brought into contact with each other too much.

No matter how desirable it may be though, you aren't going to convince everybody that they must adopt your value system because it more 'factual'. This is not because they are blind to the evidence, but that you are blind to your utopianism.

Ideologies are how you explain to yourself how the world works. They are myths, not evidence based truths.

History very clearly shows us that we are never all going to believe in the same myths.

There is no solution to this problem, but accepting that our own myths are not universal at least might prevent us from further stoking the flames.
I thought Stalin was an atheist. He is always reported as such when I see anything written about him.
Good post

Maybe you should have named the thread

""Is islam really dangerous?""

Because that is where your gripe really is

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

That is so far from the point that I am making it is quite remarkable.

It's not a strawman, it's not even a strawman.

Salafi-Jihadism is one of the worst ideologies in history. Ditto Naziism, Stalinism. This post is not about them.

Now read again more carefully...