• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana Limits Federal Militarization of Police

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Every state needs to pass a law like this!

Montana Legislature Passes Bill to Limit Federal Militarization of Police | Ben Swann Truth In Media
http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2015/billpdf/HB0330.pdf

A bill that would heavily diminish the effect of federal surplus equipment programs that militarize local police was given final approval by the Montana House today.

The vote was 79-20.

Introduced by Rep. Nicholas Schwaderer (R-Superior), House Bill 330 (HB330) bans state or local law enforcement agencies from receiving drones that are armored, weaponized, or both; aircraft that are combat configured or combat coded; grenades or similar explosives and grenade launchers; silencers; and “militarized armored vehicles” from federal military surplus programs.

The bill passed by a 46-1 vote in the Senate last month and will now go to the Governor’s desk.

HB330 also stipulates that a law enforcement agency purchasing allowable military equipment must use state or local funds, prohibiting federal funding of such gear.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Apparently they never read the Supremacy Clause in the U.S. Constitution. Or maybe they're not even aware of the fact that we do have a constitution?

Wirey

Fartist
Apparently they never read the Supremacy Clause in the U.S. Constitution. Or maybe they're not even aware of the fact that we do have a constitution?

I believe the cash still comes from the state. They're just sayin', we ain't payin'.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
How would that apply in this situation?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Wirey and Apex, I was in a rush (doctor's appointment) and only read the headline, which turned out to be a mistake as it wasn't dealing with what I thought it was. My bad, and I apologize.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I served as a local municipal officer from 1972 to 1994.
I served 2 years as a uniformed patrol officer, was appointed to the detective division where I served for 10 years, the last 3 of those 10 as Chief of investigations, attaining the rank of sgt. I was promoted to Lt. Cmdr. and was in charge of S.W.A.T. became the deadly force instructor ( how to shoot), trained snipers, speicalists in tear gas deployment, assualt rifles, and all the rest of police
small arms.
Our city ranked in the top 10 for violent crime in our State.
I suffered 13 major injuries, disabled in 1994, endured 9 months, 5 days a week, 4 hours a day, learning to walk again.
Never once did I feel the need for a submachine gun, a full auto assalt rifle, hand grenades, a tank, missle launcher, air support etc.
When I took charge of deadly force training I encouraged the officers to become the best marksmen possible.
I taught to shoot "to stop the aggressive action" of a bad guy. We were never taught to shoot to "kill", only to stop.
We were never trained to "shoot to wound".
I never felt the need for an armored vehicle of any kind.
I taught officers to resort to deadly force as the very, very, last resort in order to save ones own life of the life of
an innocent.
None of my officers ever, not once, fired a shot in anger.
I never fired a shot at another human for any reason.
Of that I am very proud.
We had a 90% burglary clearance rate, 97% homocide clearance rate, and more boring stats.
All that without requiring military hardware of any kind.
We did have threat level 2-A body armor that would stop any handgun round and some high velocity rifle rounds.
I felt relatively safe wearing a threat level 2-A vest.
We were all trained extensivley in unarmed defensive tactics. ( hand to hand fighting )
We did not have tasers, only small cans of tear gas that was often ineffective.
I was in charge of community relations and the crime watch program, gave public service talks to private groups and
clubs. This kind of effort is worth while more than most people know.
I was taught and taught my officers to make a friend a day out of the public.
Never needed a mortor or armour piercing bullets to do that.
I guess I'm just an aging cop that is behind the times.:(:(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I served as a local municipal officer from 1972 to 1994.
I served 2 years as a uniformed patrol officer, was appointed to the detective division where I served for 10 years, the last 3 of those 10 as Chief of investigations, attaining the rank of sgt. I was promoted to Lt. Cmdr. and was in charge of S.W.A.T. became the deadly force instructor ( how to shoot), trained snipers, speicalists in tear gas deployment, assualt rifles, and all the rest of police
small arms.
Our city ranked in the top 10 for violent crime in our State.
I suffered 13 major injuries, disabled in 1994, endured 9 months, 5 days a week, 4 hours a day, learning to walk again.
Never once did I feel the need for a submachine gun, a full auto assalt rifle, hand grenades, a tank, missle launcher, air support etc.
When I took charge of deadly force training I encouraged the officers to become the best marksmen possible.
I taught to shoot "to stop the aggressive action" of a bad guy. We were never taught to shoot to "kill", only to stop.
We were never trained to "shoot to wound".
I never felt the need for an armored vehicle of any kind.
I taught officers to resort to deadly force as the very, very, last resort in order to save ones own life of the life of
an innocent.
None of my officers ever, not once, fired a shot in anger.
I never fired a shot at another human for any reason.
Of that I am very proud.
We had a 90% burglary clearance rate, 97% homocide clearance rate, and more boring stats.
All that without requiring military hardware of any kind.
We did have threat level 2-A body armor that would stop any handgun round and some high velocity rifle rounds.
I felt relatively safe wearing a threat level 2-A vest.
We were all trained extensivley in unarmed defensive tactics. ( hand to hand fighting )
We did not have tasers, only small cans of tear gas that was often ineffective.
I was in charge of community relations and the crime watch program, gave public service talks to private groups and
clubs. This kind of effort is worth while more than most people know.
I was taught and taught my officers to make a friend a day out of the public.
Never needed a mortor or armour piercing bullets to do that.
I guess I'm just an aging cop that is behind the times.:(:(
I'd offer you a donut, but that's too stereotypical, so have some.....
pic15.jpg