• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?

Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?

Do you set an example for your religion? If so, how?

Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?
Honestly I have never understood and I never will why so many people want to proselytize.
They want others to embrace their own religion.
Religion is something individualistic, private, which is the result of one's own path.
It's not like joining a book club.

So I don't intend to make my religion appealing or markeatable, at all.
Since I joined this forum, I have had in my description box: free will believer.

I believe in freedom, so I would never try to convince anyone...they are free to decide.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly I have never understood and I never will why so many people want to proselytize.
They want others to embrace their own religion.
As I've said a few times in this thread, the OP is not about proselytizing.

If you think it is, you've misinterpreted the OP.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As I've said a few times in this thread, the OP is not about proselytizing.

If you think it is, you've misinterpreted the OP.
Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?
No, I guess I don't.
Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?
I hope not, because I want people to embrace a religion because of a personal, reasoned path, and not through imitation of others.
I guess not.
Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?
I don't hate any religion, so the answer is no. :)

Niatero

*banned*

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Love is attractive on it's own. I'm just an effect of that spirit

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Is that your takeaway after reading the OP? Or did you just read the title?
No, I read it. I just don't feel like I'm a representative of my religion. There really isn't one as it's made up of unconnected groups and individuals who basically do their own thing. I can only represent myself.

Same with the other people here. I view them as representing themselves and giving their own beliefs, not speaking for a whole group. I think this way of viewing it is good for avoiding stereotyping and prejudice.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
A true story. A Tibetan Buddhist monk that was associated with a Buddhist group I was once part of, had traveled to Nepal and was returning. He took a taxi from Atlanta airport and the driver, seeing his robes, asked what religion he was. On hearing "Buddhist" the driver went into a long spiel about how his version of Christianity was the "true" religion. Someone asked the monk if he debated with the man and tried to change his mind. He was shocked at the very idea. "Oh no", he said. "He is exactly where he needs to be now. It would be very wrong for me to interfere".

I have a similar feeling about people reading anything I write. I would not want to be responsible for someone abandoning their beliefs, that might be necessary to their well being. I'd say, read it, agree, disagree, whatever, then think for yourself.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A true story. A Tibetan Buddhist monk that was associated with a Buddhist group I was once part of, had traveled to Nepal and was returning. He took a taxi from Atlanta airport and the driver, seeing his robes, asked what religion he was. On hearing "Buddhist" the driver went into a long spiel about how his version of Christianity was the "true" religion. Someone asked the monk if he debated with the man and tried to change his mind. He was shocked at the very idea. "Oh no", he said. "He is exactly where he needs to be now. It would be very wrong for me to interfere".

I have a similar feeling about people reading anything I write. I would not want to be responsible for someone abandoning their beliefs, that might be necessary to their well being. I'd say, read it, agree, disagree, whatever, then think for yourself.
While the Buddhist was spot on, the thread isn't really about leading another away from their current belief.
However, if my conduct and behavior here or elsewhere sparks someone's curiosity about my views, whether they're established in their beliefs or not, I wouldn't feel responsible should they decide to reassess their spiritual path.

That said, I'm confident my contributions here send people running for the hills.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
While the Buddhist was spot on, the thread isn't really about leading another away from their current belief.

However, if my conduct and behavior here or elsewhere sparks someone's curiosity about my views, whether they're established in their beliefs or not, I wouldn't feel responsible should they decide to reassess their spiritual path.

That said, I'm confident my contributions here send people running for the hills.
Lots of sacred sites on tops of hills. People would run to those after encountering me because they'd feel the need to cleanse themselves of the evil vibes I emitted.