• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kim Davis Thrown In Jail

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue gay marriage licenses, has been found in contempt of court and taken into federal custody.

According to AP, U.S. District Judge David Bunning said Thursday that Davis would be held in jail until she complied with the previous court orders to begin granting the marriage licenses.

“The court cannot condone the willful disobedience of its lawfully issued order,” Judge Bunning said, according to the New York Times. “If you give people the opportunity to choose which orders they follow, that’s what potentially causes problems.”

During Thursday's hearing, Davis testified for 20 minutes about her Christian faith and told the court "You can't be separated from something that's in your heart and in your soul," according to the AP report.

In response to Thursday's decision to hold her in contempt of court, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said, "Kim Davis in federal custody removes all doubts about the criminalization of Christianity in this country."

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) also rushed to Davis' defense: "I think it’s absurd to put someone in jail for exercising their religious liberties,"
source
A true day-brightener if ever there was one! :D

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

In response to Thursday's decision to hold her in contempt of court, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said, "Kim Davis in federal custody removes all doubts about the criminalization of Christianity in this country."
source

I suppose he is right isn't he, but really this was always the case. You can't use religious belief as a defense for breaking the law.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Huckabee is again playing "Christianity is the victim" card, while at the same time saying that the SCOTUS should be ignored, even though he wants to be president. He's trying to out-Trump Trump it appears.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Imagine the insufferable mileage she's going to get out of this one. People will have to hear about her heroic martyrdom for the next 50 years.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just heard on CNN news that she was offered the option of returning to her job if she wouldn't interfere with her deputies' commitment to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals. She declined.

Love it! Just love it. You hang in there Kim. Orange is your color.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24696-1376342906-39.gif

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Jail is ridiculous. Most people that refuse to do their job usually gets fired. Or am I missing something?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They can't fire her because she's an elected official but only can impeach her, but there may not be even a desire to do as such.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Just heard on CNN news that she was offered the option of returning to her job if she wouldn't interfere with her deputies' commitment to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals. She declined.

Love it! Just love it. You hang in there Kim. Orange is your color.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24696-1376342906-39.gif

You are mean and nasty.

jeager106

Premium Member
I suppose he is right isn't he, but really this was always the case. You can't use religious belief as a defense for breaking the law.

What "law" did she break. What is the Criminal Code for whatever law
she broke?
She's in jail for contempt of court which most often means pissing off
the judge. Contempt of Court is a criminal offense and has a Criminal
Code in most all if not every U.S. State.
That being the case what codified law did she originally break to
appear in court in the first place?
There must be one.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What "law" did she break. What is the Criminal Code for whatever law
she broke?
She's in jail for contempt of court which most often means pissing off
the judge. Contempt of Court is a criminal offense and has a Criminal
Code in most all if not every U.S. State.
That being the case what codified law did she originally break to
appear in court in the first place?
There must be one.
Her original appearance in court was a hearing to find out why she refused to do the job she was elected to do. As an elected and sworn entity of the government she is under the jurisdiction of the courts.

In the Contempt of Court case it's a willful failure to obey an order of the court. Relevant statutes include 18 U.S.C. §§ 401403 and Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 42.

Last edited:

jeager106

Premium Member
In the Contempt of Court case it's a willful failure to obey an order of the court. Relevant statutes include 18 U.S.C. §§ 401403 and Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 42.

Thanks. I was having trouble finding it.
So Kim is in jail for not following the order of the court? (da judge)

Here is something I found interesting:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/muslim-flight-attendant-expressjet-airlines-alcohol/

A Muslim flight attendant filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission claiming she was suspended from her job for not serving alcohol, which is against her religious beliefs, CBS Detroit station WWJ-AM reports.

Lena Masri, an attorney for the Council on American-Islamic Relations Michigan, said Charee Stanley followed management's directions, working out an arrangement with her coworkers to accommodate passenger requests for alcohol.

However, Masri said, ExpressJet Airlines put Stanley on administrative leave after another attendant filed "an Islamophobic complaint" that referenced Stanley's head scarf.

"We notified ExpressJet Airlines of its obligation under the law to reasonably accommodate Ms. Stanley's religious beliefs," Masri said at a news conference in Farmington Hills on Tuesday. "Instead, ExpressJet close to violate Ms. Stanely's constitutional rights, placed her on administrative leave for 12 months, after which her employment may be administratively terminated."

Skwim

Veteran Member
You are mean and nasty.
Well, that too, but in this case I'm also merely in step with the spirit of our country's laws. And less it be forgotten, in issuing a license all she is doing is verifying that the two people meet the marriage requirements of the law, and nothing more. It's a matter of "Here's the definition of X, do these people meet this definition? Yes or No" And this is suppose to be against her religion? Give me a *&*#@# break.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's a non-violent offense, and I see no reason why she should be separated from the general public. A jail sentence seems to be a symptom of our societies addiction to just "putting people away."
She should be impeached, she should be barred from serving in any public office in the future, but she shouldn't be jailed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's a non-violent offense, and I see no reason why she should be separated from the general public.
Do you actually contend that jail and prison should only be used for violent offenses?

A jail sentence seems to be a symptom of our societies addiction to just "putting people away."

She was not "put away"---nice exaggeration, by the way. She was put in jail until she agreed to abide by the court's ruling. Her choice.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

"Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue gay marriage licenses, has been found in contempt of court and taken into federal custody.​

Just another day in the funny farm.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Her original appearance in court was a hearing to find out why she refused to do the job she was elected to do. As an elected and sworn entity of the government she is under the jurisdiction of the courts.

If I only had a nickel for every single elected official that defied the courts..........