• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Kansas Public School Takes Down Portrait Of Jesus After Complaint"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"The display was called 'an egregious violation of the First Amendment.'

A Kansas school has taken down a portrait of Jesus Christ after being threatened with legal action, and some parents and former students aren't happy about the decision.

images-4.jpg

"Royster Middle School, a public school in the city of Chanute, had been displaying a print of Warner Sallman’s “Head of Christ" since the 1950s, according to Reuters. The portrait was removed earlier this week after the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent the district a letter warning that the display was "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," according to an FFRF news release.

But that decision is not sitting well with some, including a number of residents who've posted complaints on the school's Facebook page, blaming "outsiders" for the portrait's removal.

“With all the bullying that goes on in schools and how all the kids divide up into cliques, I think Jesus being there didn’t hurt a thing," the former student, 22-year-old fur trapper Cody Busby, told the Eagle. "
source

The remark by the fur trapper is no less stupid than the fact that it took a threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down.

Curious George

Veteran Member
"The display was called 'an egregious violation of the First Amendment.'

A Kansas school has taken down a portrait of Jesus Christ after being threatened with legal action, and some parents and former students aren't happy about the decision.

images-4.jpg
"Royster Middle School, a public school in the city of Chanute, had been displaying a print of Warner Sallman’s “Head of Christ" since the 1950s, according to Reuters. The portrait was removed earlier this week after the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent the district a letter warning that the display was "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," according to an FFRF news release.

But that decision is not sitting well with some, including a number of residents who've posted complaints on the school's Facebook page, blaming "outsiders" for the portrait's removal.

“With all the bullying that goes on in schools and how all the kids divide up into cliques, I think Jesus being there didn’t hurt a thing," the former student, 22-year-old fur trapper Cody Busby, told the Eagle. "
source
The remark by the fur trapper is no less stupid than the fact that it took a threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down.

Lol F N FFRF

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Remember, my state somehow spawned Westboro.
Your expectations for intelligence are too high.

Last edited:

Deathbydefault

Is it too much to expect those who run our schools be reasonably intelligent?

In a country full of people who have never even heard of a logical fallacy, whom are gullible, whom advocate the stupidest things, whom can hardly even speak a proper sentence. Yes, it is.

The level of intelligence they have might be okay compared to normal people.
But they aren't exactly college professors with 30 years of teaching experience.
Hell, most of them can't even tell you what the bill of rights covers.

Public, and even many private school teachers only have knowledge on their subject.
Principles are just teachers in a higher position, and they aren't much better.
It's overly saddening how low the bar is set, and how low it will remain to be set.

:p

Skwim

Veteran Member
In a country full of people who have never even heard of a logical fallacy, whom are gullible, whom advocate the stupidest things, whom can hardly even speak a proper sentence. Yes, it is.

The level of intelligence they have might be okay compared to normal people.
But they aren't exactly college professors with 30 years of teaching experience.
Hell, most of them can't even tell you what the bill of rights covers.

Public, and even many private school teachers only have knowledge on their subject.
Principles are just teachers in a higher position, and they aren't much better.
It's overly saddening how low the bar is set, and how low it will remain to be set.

:p
So, I take it you don't expect those who run our schools to be reasonably intelligent. I guess that's where we differ. I do. That they aren't is all the sadder.

Deathbydefault

So, I take it you don't expect those who run our schools to be reasonably intelligent. I guess that's where we differ. I do. That they aren't is all the sadder.

Don't get me wrong, I assure you that I believe it would be much better if they were intelligent.
It's just that the vast majority don't seem to be, and it doesn't look like that'll change anytime soon either.
I came out of one of those schools with those types of teachers, graduated last may.

averageJOE

zombie
Think that was a good reason, particularly in light of the separation of church and state?

Of course not. They should have known better than to keep a picture like that up. If that were my son's school I would have been the first one to fight to get it taken down.