• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kama Sutra and Christianity

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Among the seven capital sins, there is one: lust.
Of course there is a big difference between romantic love and lust. The first one focuses on the aesthetic pleasure. The second one on the genital pleasure.
As British poet John Keats said, Beauty is truth and truth is beauty. That's how Romance is created: through the contemplation of beauty.
When there is no beauty within the sexual relation, there is lust.
So I think that from a Christian standpoint, Kama Sutra is considered lust. Because those positions are not beautiful, if seen from outside. They are squalid and animalistic. I can't help it: I think the only missionary position is beautiful and romantic, if seen from the outside.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Of course there is a big difference between romantic love and lust. The first one focuses on the aesthetic pleasure. The second one on the genital pleasure.
As British poet John Keats said, Beauty is truth and truth is beauty. That's how Romance is created: through the contemplation of beauty.
So I think that from a Christian standpoint, Kama Sutra is considered lust. Because those positions are not beautiful, if seen from outside. They are squalid and animalistic. I can't help it: I think the only missionary position is beautiful and romantic, if seen from the outside.

Looking from the out side is voyeurism.
It plays no part in what is pleasurable to the actual lovers.

The positions of the Kama Sutra are not a list to be worked through.
It is a work that covers all aspects of love sensuality and family life.

Seen from the "outside" most aspects of lovemaking are animalistic.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Looking from the out side is voyeurism.
It plays no part in what is pleasurable to the actual lovers.

The positions of the Kama Sutra are not a list to be worked through.
It is a work that covers all aspects of love sensuality and family life.

Seen from the "outside" most aspects of lovemaking are animalistic.

well...it depends on whether you consider sex something sacred or not.
Sex is something sacred. It is like God watched you while you do it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Pretentious word salad, in my opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
All sex is animalistic. We're animals and sex is a basic urge of sexually reproducing species. There's nothing wrong with lust and lust can be beautiful.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
All sex is animalistic. We're animals and sex is a basic urge of sexually reproducing species. There's nothing wrong with lust and lust can be beautiful.

Animals have sex out of instinct. Humans don't have sex unless they find a partner they are in love with

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with lust as it's a very natural reaction, but it's more a matter of how we may deal with it, which could have either positive or negative consequences.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
when there is love and not lust....two lovers will never try the Kama Sutra

but they will make love.
[youtube]K6h1NTRtVGo[/youtube]

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
what is sex, then? a game? something fun to pass time?

All of the above. Sex can be sacred or it can be fun or both at the same time. Not everything is either/or, some things are yes/and and vary widely for different people.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Then you don't know what the Kama Sutra is:
Contrary to popular perception, especially in the western world, Kama sutra is not just an exclusive sex manual; it presents itself as a guide to a virtuous and gracious living that discusses the nature of love, family life and other aspects pertaining to pleasure oriented faculties of human life.[4][5]

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I am a Hindu and I do not consider the Kama Sutra as a Hindu religious work. I wouldn't ban it, but it is used too much by some in the West to paint a picture of Hinduism that isn't accurate. Overall, i think most Hindus never read it, and considering it has become a tool of wanton lifestyle I wish it never got the attention it does today. But too late now. But no, I do not keep a copy in my Hindu library.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am a Hindu and I do not consider the Kama Sutra as a Hindu religious work. I wouldn't ban it, but it is used too much by some in the West to paint a picture of Hinduism that isn't accurate. Overall, i think most Hindus never read it, and considering it has become a tool of wanton lifestyle I wish it never got the attention it does today. But too late now. But no, I do not keep a copy in my Hindu library.

well....I already knew that Kama Sutra has nothing to do with Hinduism.
I just wanted to analyze the Christian vision of sex...and how compatible it is with Christians' sex lives.
By the way...I appreciate your information:yes:

EverChanging

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." People are different and express themselves in different ways, including in the bedroom. That doesn't mean there isn't any real love or intimacy there.

Sex is animalistic, and so is eating, and peeing, and sweating. There's not anything wrong with that. All of it can be beautiful. Humans are animals. It's a good thing to be.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." People are different and express themselves in different ways, including in the bedroom. That doesn't mean there isn't any real love or intimacy there.

then, what did John Keats mean by "beauty is truth and truth is beauty"?
It seems that he was 100% sure that beauty is something objective, given that truth is objective.

Sex is animalistic, and so is eating, and peeing, and sweating. There's not anything wrong with that. All of it can be beautiful. Humans are animals. It's a good thing to be.

we are not animals...
if we were, life would be incredibly squalid and boring