• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism or Christianity?

Animore

Edit: I think the whole Judaism idea is down the drain. Reason is in the post, really.

Another Edit: I realize it seems like a kind of contradiction when I said that I had moved on from the possibility of Messianic Judaism because the do not believe in the Trinity. What I meant was that I have only partially pulled it out of my head, for the time being, in case I find something that would mostly suit my beliefs.

I am extremely uncomfortable with and hate making this post. I really am.

For the past month, I have been seeking an answer to help me with my lack of faith. I've asked pastors, preachers, followers of Christ who are very spiritual and full of belief. The gave a variety of different answers, but the gist of it was, "Pray and study your Bible." And that's great, but I've been doing that for quite a while, and for whatever reason (not mocking or insulting God, I know God's ways are just and it is part of His plan to do so) I received mostly superficial boosts, and whether it be scientific evidence, Jewish beliefs, or my own mind, I start to doubt in God (Jesus specifically).

I have recently been in quest of denominations and religions that suit my beliefs. I already narrowed my search down to denominations and religions that believe that God is a real, existent, omnipresent, omnipotent, deity. I started with Baptism. Most of the views suited me, but I don't believe in "Once saved, always saved" in a whole. Then I went with Catholicism. Way too many strict rules, religious practices that aren't even spoken about in the bible, and the idea of the pope forgiving your sins is a complete letdown for me. So I moved on to non-denominational. This is currently what I mostly identify as currently, but the letdown is mostly that they identify closely with the beliefs of a protestant, and when I looked up the general beliefs of protestants, they are very close to the beliefs of a Catholic. So I moved on to Messianic Jews. It was immediately a problem because I found that most Messianic Jews don't believe in the Trinity. (I have my own reasons for believing in such)

I need an opinion from someone else, I think. Jesus has always been my rock, and it's only recently that I've been struck with a huge wave of doubt. God bless!

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I already narrowed my search down to denominations and religions that believe that God is a real, existent, omnipresent, omnipotent, deity. I started with Baptism. Most of the views suited me, but I don't believe in "Once saved, always saved" in a whole.
This doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
To me, it seems more important to find a community that you feel is comfortable and will be a good thing in your life, not necessarily that everyone agrees with you about everything.

Does any of the communities you mentioned stand out as a place with a lot of people who you would like to have in your family? That seems like a better indicator of a good place for you than relatively small theological details.
Just my thoughts. Good luck. I'm sure things will work out.
Tom

Animore

This doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
To me, it seems more important to find a community that you feel is comfortable and will be a good thing in your life, not necessarily that everyone agrees with you about everything.

Does any of the communities you mentioned stand out as a place with a lot of people who you would like to have in your family? That seems like a better indicator of a good place for you than relatively small theological details.
Just my thoughts. Good luck. I'm sure things will work out.
Tom
First of all, thanks for the kind-hearted post, Columbus.

I would say the non-denominational church of Christians. I just feel that they can be more acceptant of me, because there is no complete, full set of beliefs except what is said in the Bible. However, the problem isn't really, for me, being accepted. The church I go to currently accepts everyone for who they are. However, because I have doubts, I'm not sure as of yet whether or not it is the right group of followers in Christ for me. I know I didn't mention it in the post much, but it's as the title says. I'm having struggles with religious identity, on which is the best choice of religion for me. I know that the religion, as one of the requirements, has to be centered around the Christian and Jewish God, because that part is set in stone in me.

Animore

@NotOfTheWorld

I'm not sure what exactly the religious problem, is here. It seems more like a church problem. If you already have a belief in the trinity, that simply isn't going to work with Judaism
But you miss the point.
For the past month, I have been seeking an answer to help me with my lack of faith.

Obviously if I decide to convert to Judaism (unlikely, though) obviously that would have to go out the drain.

It seems more like a church problem.

I'd say it's both a religious and church-based problem.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
But you miss the point.

Obviously if I decide to convert to Judaism (unlikely, though) obviously that would have to go out the drain.

I'd say it's both a religious and church-based problem.

You wrote that Messianic Judaism was a problem, because it doesn't have the trinity belief.

Neither does Judaism...
Anyways, if Judaism seems better for you, then that is your decision. It's just a big difference from ''Christian'', /and other,, Biblical belief systems

Animore

You wrote that Messianic Judaism was a problem, because it doesn't have the trinity belief.

Neither does Judaism...
Anyways, if Judaism seems better for you, then that is your decision. It's just a big difference from ''Christian'', /and other,, Biblical belief systems
Thank you. :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Maybe write down what you do believe. Does it have to fit an organized religion? A lot of people today create their own do-it-yourself religion. But are you the type to need a community support? that I don't know.

Animore

Maybe write down what you do believe. Does it have to fit an organized religion? A lot of people today create their own do-it-yourself religion. But are you the type to need a community support? that I don't know.
I feel community support is quite necessary because if I'm going to study the Word, I'm most likely not going to understand it all, and if I would make a DIY-esque religion, involving me, myself, and I studying the Bible, I would most likely have difficulty receiving clarification on Biblical passages. Writing it down does seem like a very helpful thing to do, however. Thanks for the info! :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I feel community support is quite necessary because if I'm going to study the Word, I'm most likely not going to understand it all, and if I would make a DIY-esque religion, involving me, myself, and I studying the Bible, I would most likely have difficulty receiving clarification on Biblical passages. Writing it down does seem like a very helpful thing to do, however. Thanks for the info! :)

It's interesting, Jesus stated that his disciples, i.e., followers, would be known, not so much by what they taught (although important), but by how they acted!

Matthew 7:18-20; John 13:34-35

You know, really, worshipping God is the doing of what is acceptable to Him, not of what's acceptable to us. Although it's not that difficult (1 John 5:3,b), with the right association.....though this world can make it tough!

Take care.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I recommend giving up on that Jesus guy and start having a relationship with G-d instead.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE

For the past month, I have been seeking an answer to help me with my lack of faith. I've asked pastors, preachers, followers of Christ who are very spiritual and full of belief. The gave a variety of different answers, but the gist of it was, "Pray and study your Bible." And that's great, but I've been doing that for quite a while, and for whatever reason (not mocking or insulting God, I know God's ways are just and it is part of His plan to do so) I received mostly superficial boosts, and whether it be scientific evidence, Jewish beliefs, or my own mind, I start to doubt in God (Jesus specifically).

I have recently been in quest of denominations and religions that suit my beliefs. I already narrowed my search down to denominations and religions that believe that God is a real, existent, omnipresent, omnipotent, deity. I started with Baptism. Most of the views suited me, but I don't believe in "Once saved, always saved" in a whole. Then I went with Catholicism. Way too many strict rules, religious practices that aren't even spoken about in the bible, and the idea of the pope forgiving your sins is a complete letdown for me. So I moved on to non-denominational. This is currently what I mostly identify as currently, but the letdown is mostly that they identify closely with the beliefs of a protestant, and when I looked up the general beliefs of protestants, they are very close to the beliefs of a Catholic. So I moved on to Messianic Jews. It was immediately a problem because I found that most Messianic Jews don't believe in the Trinity. (I have my own reasons for believing in such)

I need an opinion from someone else, I think. Jesus has always been my rock, and it's only recently that I've been struck with a huge wave of doubt. God bless!

Myself, I started out RC and eventually wound up a 7th Day Adventist. Sounds like that might be good for you, as they are trinitarian, but it wasn't a good fit for me, as I'm not.

While there, I ran across some folks from a local Hebrew Christian ... um... church? Not really a Synagogue. They were MJ, but more of a Christian type, also heavily trinitarian.

Check out the MJ DIR here, the overview post is quite good. It explains the different flavors of MJ.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In my search I realized all religions where created at best through an interaction between God and a man of limited experiences. Because of that there are so many different religions all with parts that are right and parts that are wrong. I chose the one I was most comfortable with and interpret my way. I study the works of many religions and base my life off of them. I practice a certain religion for comfort but realize it is only partly correct.

This should work as long as you don't want to make a certain religion your main purpose in life. I would recommend you always remain a seeker of God with maybe a practice of Religion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Thank you. :)

Judaism and Christian beliefs, differ in more than just whether the New Testament, or Jesus adherence, is involved. Judaism has it's specific interpretations of the Tanach, which differ from ''Christian'' interpretations, traditionally.. /even concerning the nature of the Godhood. I would consider these things carefully before converting to Judaism, personally.

Akivah

It sounds like you're looking for a casual religion. I'd recommend dropping the Judaism idea then. Judaism applies to your whole way of living, not just your beliefs.