• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam Has Been Hijacked By...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
IS
Al Qaeda
Boko Haram
Somali Pirates (I forget the name)
...etc.

Why does Islam seem to lend itself so easily to being 'hijacked' by terror groups and pirates and kidnappers? Why don't they use Wicca, or Asatru, or Christianity or...anything else? Why does it always seem to be this religion? I'm banking on it having something to do with Islam.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the middle east isn't as 'developed' as the west?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
You need to be more aware of Christian cults, and fascist fanatics. It a disease that affects all religions and non religions.
But i have never seen Christian cults eg KKK at this level. What ISIS is is warmongering on a large scale!

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Actually some Jains were fairly high up in the Indian Government, which isn't exactly a force for pure good only.

Violence of an ideological nature, often including a perceived sense of honor and nobility, service of a greater cause, and possibly personal redemptive aspects has always existed across cultures. Jihadi terrorism is simply the most 'famous' current manifestation of this trend. It is really only 30-40 years old as an ideology, up until the late 70s/80s most Arab revolutionary and terrorist organisations were leftist. Jihadi terrorism is really a syncretism of Islamism, Leninism and Fascism.

If we only look at the present, forgetting it is simply a snapshot of history, rather than a longer term context, perspectives can get a bit distorted.

Norman Cohn - Pursuit of the Millenium (about medieval Christian millenarianism) or William Pfaff - The Bullet's Song: Romantic violence and utopia (about 20th C secular figures) are both fantastic books that might put it into a greater context. It is useful to consider other forms of ideological violence and what they have in common before drawing conclusions on individual manifestations of such violence.

Radical Islam is just that, radical (not conservative). In the West, a traditional religious upbringing is negatively correlated to extremism. Many jihadis are new converts or were 'cultural' Muslims only before.

That's not to say that it is completely 100% unrelated to Islam, the ideology is necessary for ideological violence of course. But the ideology in question here is a modern one rather than traditional.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
That's not to say that it is completely 100% unrelated to Islam, the ideology is necessary for ideological violence of course. But the ideology in question here is a modern one rather than traditional.

No, extremism within Islam goes back to the 7th century to the Kharijites. They developed extreme doctrines that set them apart from both mainstream Sunni and Shiʿa Muslims, declaring other Muslims to be unbelievers and therefore deemed worthy of death

Sees

Dragonslayer
Violence of an ideological nature, often including a perceived sense of honor and nobility, service of a greater cause, and possibly personal redemptive aspects has always existed across cultures. Jihadi terrorism is simply the most 'famous' current manifestation of this trend. It is really only 30-40 years old as an ideology, up until the late 70s/80s most Arab revolutionary and terrorist organisations were leftist. Jihadi terrorism is really a syncretism of Islamism, Leninism and Fascism.

If we only look at the present, forgetting it is simply a snapshot of history, rather than a longer term context, perspectives can get a bit distorted.

Norman Cohn - Pursuit of the Millenium (about medieval Christian millenarianism) or William Pfaff - The Bullet's Song: Romantic violence and utopia (about 20th C secular figures) are both fantastic books that might put it into a greater context. It is useful to consider other forms of ideological violence and what they have in common before drawing conclusions on individual manifestations of such violence.

Radical Islam is just that, radical (not conservative). In the West, a traditional religious upbringing is negatively correlated to extremism. Many jihadis are new converts or were 'cultural' Muslims only before.

Every school/sect causing violence and oppression today is older than that and most caused violence and oppression well before the 20th century kicked off. That is a common theme brought up though, to pass off responsibility for the boogeyman.

No, extremism within Islam goes back to the 7th century to the Kharijites. They developed extreme doctrines that set them apart from both mainstream Sunni and Shiʿa Muslims, declaring other Muslims to be unbelievers and therefore deemed worthy of death

Yes, and others such as the Qarmations, Nizari's etc. point in question was that they were all radicals, rejecting the orthodoxy and were detested by the mainstream.

Of course there have been violent Muslims, no one doubts that.

The ideology of modern Jihadis though is not based on the Kharijites but on 20th C texts by the likes of Sayyid Qutb.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Muhammad destroyed Pagan idols when he conquered Mecca, and if the majority of Islamic scholars and historians are to be believed, he also forbade non-Muslims from entering it or building houses of worship in the Arabian Peninsula. Fortunately, not all countries in the Arabian peninsula follow this rule today.

Also, the Qur'an itself repeatedly states that Allah hates the non-believers and has prepared agonizing torment for them in the afterlife. It also commands cutting off thieves' hands and lashing for premarital sex in explicit terms.

It seems to me that going by some people's logic, Muhammad and Allah themselves would be "fake Muslims" who "hijacked Islam."

Every school/sect causing violence and oppression today is older than that and most caused violence and oppression well before the 20th century kicked off.

Such as?

That is a common theme brought up though, to pass off responsibility for the boogeyman.

If the topic is Islamic terrorism it is a necessary theme.

You wouldn't look at the Red Army Fraction with recourse simply to Marx.

cambridge79

IS
Al Qaeda
Boko Haram
Somali Pirates (I forget the name)
...etc.

Why does Islam seem to lend itself so easily to being 'hijacked' by terror groups and pirates and kidnappers? Why don't they use Wicca, or Asatru, or Christianity or...anything else? Why does it always seem to be this religion? I'm banking on it having something to do with Islam.

i wanna try to be honest with this. I think the main reason is because in those regions where this happens the kuran is the only book they actually read therefore is the only thing they can refer to if they want to justify their behaviour. I think is the irrational nature of religions that produces this effect, not the particular nature of islam itself.
I mean the catholic church had the inquisition for centuries and they've been able to come up with the most savages and creative torture devices and they were starting from the words of a carpenter who died without ever harming anyone and that was telling them to "turn the other cheek and to not look at the speck of dust in other people eye".
How can one not possibly be able to find the reason to kill someone else in a book that was written by a monger / warrior if he wants to?

Last edited: