• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this phrase discriminatory?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"I love gays but I disagree with homosexuality?"

Isn't that like saying, to those who say this above, "I love who you are but I disagree with what, of many things that makes you, you"?

Isnt it contradictory to say you love someone but hate the way they Love other people?

That is like my telling a Muslim, I love you but I hate your religion. That means I hate the Muslim because he is not separate from his faith. He IS his faith.

Likewise with people in general. When they love someone in marriage they ARE the love they give.

The question is one, a yes or no and two, is it logical to say you love the person but not what makes the person, a human being.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate

Isn't that like saying, to those who say this above, "I love who you are but I disagree with what, of many things that makes you, you"?

No, I don't see this as discriminatory. I do, however, find it rather sanctimonious and patronizing; but such attitudes are a statement on them, and not on me.

Most people who say things like this are actually referring to behavior rather than identity. If they are referring to my sexual attractions, then I pity them for their fear and their ignorance; but hold no ill will against them. If they "disagree" with my behavior, then that is their right and I don't have the right to begrudge them of their basic human right to hold a particular belief. Besides, when it's all said and done with, what someone thinks or feels about me is none of my business; what is my business is how they treat me.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Isnt it contradictory to say you love someone but hate the way they Love other people?

That is like my telling a Muslim, I love you but I hate your religion. That means I hate the Muslim because he is not separate from his faith. He IS his faith.

Likewise with people in general. When they love someone in marriage they ARE the love they give.

The question is one, a yes or no and two, is it logical to say you love the person but not what makes the person, a human being.
The phrase is robbed of context.

S_J

Sure, typical homophobic sentence. It's the farthest as people can go, publicly, with discrimination, everything else tends to be not very welcome in any anti-discriminatory community. So this is where they go. But for sure, if someone is homosexual, they should know this sentence means they will be hurt by the particular person occasionally, and they will suffer from it. So if a homosexual person reads such a sentence, they will know they'll have to keep their distance.

:)

Human beings are animals, not tolerant and not accepting of things they don't understand. You should accept that, and be glad that at least society doesn't allow them to kill you any more, or have you send to prison.
That is, if you're living in one of the lucky countries where indeed you ARE not send to prison for being gay or lesbian.

PS: But to be clear about that, being homosexual IS part of what you ARE, not something you DO. There can be no "disagreement" with homosexuality, because homosexuality is a sexual orientation people can't choose, not an opinion people hold or a "choice" they can make. The only choice a homosexual person might make in such an enviroment is to suppress their sexual orientation, and therewith a very important part of their lifes.
So there is not in general a contradiction between loving a person and NOT loving their way to make decisions. The problem is that, as homosexuality IS not a choice nor an opinion, there IS no disagreement with homosexuality, as this is per se simply not possible. Therefore it has become a way of homophobic persons to express their homophobia. But everybody who has a little experiece with that topic is fully aware of that - as well as the fact that the worldly expression of hate may be suppressed by a community, what the target of such hate then should be thankful for, BUT that will never make a blindly and secretly hating person a loving one.
Unfortunately that's simply the way it is. Cope with it.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not really. Many parents disagree with what their kids do and many of the things that make them "them," (particularly during teenaged years) but they still love them.
But, on the other hand, it can also be very patronizing, unequally applied, and used as an excuse to attempt to cover up homophobia.
Like so many things, it really just depends on how it's being used and who's using it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This pc crap has already gone too far as it is. It's ridiculous actually.

Maybe a response could be, "l love who you are, but I disagree with you disagreeing with homosexuality."

;0]

jojom

"I love gays
I assume this is more than just loving people who happen to be gay, but loving people because they are gay. If there's a third interpretation please clue us in.

but I disagree with homosexuality?"
This begs the question: in what way do you disagree with homosexuality?

If you love people who happen to be gay, but think their homosexuality is wrong, sinful, abhorrent, or whatever, then this isn't any different than how a lot of people feel about gay people they're close to. My advice: wake up and stop being stupid. However, if you love people because they're gay, then to "disagree" with homosexuality needs to be explained.

Laika

Premium Member
Yes, it is discriminatory. I think the standard defence is "love the sinner but not the sin". It means that you can love someone who is gay, but still hate homosexuality.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not seeing the contradiction. I don't know many human relationships that are characterized by one-sided adoration of everything the person is about. And when I do see them, they're typically engaging in an exercise of willful blindness or lying through smiling teeth. We all have disagreements with one another. It's normal. What makes strong friendships is keeping to that friendship in spite of those disagreements.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, I don't see this as discriminatory. I do, however, find it rather sanctimonious and patronizing; but such attitudes are a statement on them, and not on me.

Most people who say things like this are actually referring to behavior rather than identity. If they are referring to my sexual attractions, then I pity them for their fear and their ignorance; but hold no ill will against them. If they "disagree" with my behavior, then that is their right and I don't have the right to begrudge them of their basic human right to hold a particular belief. Besides, when it's all said and done with, what someone thinks or feels about me is none of my business; what is my business is how they treat me.

Thank you. Would you not say what you do is part of who you are?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think you understand me. Im not sure.
I assume this is more than just loving people who happen to be gay, but loving people because they are gay. If there's a third interpretation please clue us in.

I actually think the phrase " I love gays " is off. Kind of like saying "Sure, I love blacks. I just dont lile their skin color" (Saying that all "black" people have dark skin even though a lot of us dont.)

My advice: wake up and stop being stupid. However, if you love people because they're gay, then to "disagree" with homosexuality needs to be explained.

So true. Wonder why someone would love someone "because they are gay". Why single them out? (Rethorical questions). If you (people) love someone, you love everything that makes them who they are, no matter how you (people) interpret them. You (people) go by who the gay person says he is, not what you think he is based on what you feel all gays do which not all dont. People.

Its kinda the same as "I love gays but I disagree with their lifestyle"

Makes me think,

"I love gays but I disagree with who they are: in their marriage, love, their cultural expression with like-minded people."

"I love gays but I dont love what makes them gay."

In other words, they are saying "I love gays but I dont love your identity"

Last edited:

Parsimony

Since when do you have to love everything about a person in order to love that person? Everything about a person and everything they do is technically a part of their identity, whether they are a smoker, democrat, Trekkie, sarcastic, loud, or anything else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If one believes in such a religion, then this is a reasonable thing to say.
It's the same as....
I like Xians, Hindus, Scientologists, Catholics, Mormons, Wiccans, Jews & Muslims, but I disagree with their religions.
Am I being discriminatory too?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If one believes in such a religion, then this is a reasonable thing to say.
It's the same as....
I like Xians, Hindus, Scientologists, Catholics, Mormons, Wiccans, Jews & Muslims, but I disagree with their religions.
Am I being discriminatory too?

Yes. Its saying "I love you, but I dont love what makes you, you". How can you love someone if you dont love what makes them them the person you love?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. Its saying "I love you, but I dont love what makes you, you". How can you love someone if you dont love what makes them them the person you love?
Easily!
Can someone like me, but oppose atheism & capitalism?
Sure.
I take no offense.
Moreover, I like the idea that they can set aside our philosophical differences to enjoy friendship.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

EDIT

Thats like my saying, "I love my Catholic friend, but I disagree with her religion." Its not like sports where I love base ball and she basket ball. Religion is who that person is. If one cant accept that person's religion; agree to it insofar that they dont compromise their own faith, why be friends? Its a continous insult if I dislike Christianity and became friends with her. I wouldnt want to like christianity To become friends but because she is my friend, I will never say "I love you but I disagree with your faith." Its more. "I love you and I accept EDIT: LOVE who you are in Christ Regardless of my beliefs"

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Moreover, I like the idea that they can set aside our philosophical differences to enjoy friendship.

Its really hard to do so. Agree or disagree probably isnt the right terms on my part. However, one has to love Everything about that person that makes that person who they are. Cant be friends with Half a person. I did an edit above.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
EDIT

Thats like my saying, "I love my Catholic friend, but I disagree with her religion." Its not like sports where I love base ball and she basket ball. Religion is who that person is. If one cant accept that person's religion; agree to it insofar that they dont compromise their own faith, why be friends? Its a continous insult if I dislike Christianity and became friends with her. I wouldnt want to like christianity To become friends but because she is my friend, I will never say "I love you but I disagree with your faith." Its more. "I love you and I accept who you are in Christ Regardless of my beliefs"
It is oh so true that some people feel insulted & even threatened when I disagree with their beliefs or practices.
They'd benefit from understanding that friendship & civility can survive disagreement, even when it's about something fundamental to the person.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its really hard to do so. Agree or disagree probably isnt the right terms on my part. However, one has to love Everything about that person that makes that person who they are. Cant be friends with Half a person. I did an edit above.
It's easy for some, for whom self worth isn't dependent upon others liking one's beliefs.