• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any 'blind Faith" in islam ?

maro

muslimah
Is there any “blind faith” in Islam?

Islam is not a religion of “blind faith” but is a religion that strongly calls on man to use his logic, reasoning and intellect.

Allah in the Quran stresses the importance for people to think, to reason and to use their mind and intellect. The word “mind” or “reasoning” is mentioned 49 times in the Quran
(in Arabic Ta’qiloon 24 times, Ya’qiloon 22 times, and A’qal, Na’qil and Ya’qil one time each). Also Allah refers to “people of understanding” 16 times in the Quran (in Arabic Ulu Al-AlBab or Uli Al-Albab).

Allah also refers to “those of intelligence” two times in Chapter 20 by the Arabic term Uli Al-Nuha. Allah also refers in many chapters in the Quran to the mind by the Arabic word Al-Fuad. Also in many verses in the Quran, Allah uses the term heart (in Arabic Al-Qalb) in place of the word Al-Fuad (mind) to mean the same thing.

In one place in Chapter 89 verses 53 & 54, Allah refers to the mind by the Arabic word Al-Hijr. The Quran also, in tens of verses, strongly calls and emphasizes the need to “contemplate” and to “give thought” (in Arabic Fikr or Tafakkor).

Also in tens of verses, the Quran draws attention to the importance for man to “remember” and to “recall” (in Arabic Tazakkor). The significance of the two being: to “give thought” is to increase or acquire new knowledge, whereas to “remember” is to recall and remind oneself of relevant knowledge and events that may have been forgotten, but which are important for one’s faith.

Allah praises people who use their mind:
aqwas-ys.jpg
Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding - Who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], “Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire.”
aqwas-ym.jpg
(Quran, 3:190-191)

About the Quran, Allah Says:
aqwas-ys.jpg
[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they (i.e. people) might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded.
aqwas-ym.jpg
(Quran, 38:29)

In the Quran, the words that can be formed from the term “know” or “knowledge” (root 'elm in Arabic) is to be found 865 times. In one verse Allah says: (Are those who know equal to those who do not know? Only they will remember [who are] people of understanding. )(Quran, 39:9).

Also: (And so those who were given knowledge may know that It (i.e. the Quran) is the truth from your Lord and [therefore] believe in it, and their hearts humbly submit to it. And indeed is Allah the Guide of those who have believed to a straight path. ) (Quran, 22:54).

On the other hand, the Quran strongly rejects certain mentalities that are driven by myths, illusions, absurdities, ignorance, blind imitation of others, assumption (conjecture), prejudice, whims and desires. In fact, Allah in the Quran confirms that most people on earth have gone astray because they follow assumption, conjecture and ignorance.

Allah says:
(And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah. They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying (out of ignorance, conjecture and assumption). )(Quran, 6:116)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I find this post almost humourous.

Whenever I see other fellow Muslims thinking they have fatwas issued against them, they are labeled as a kafir, they end up dead, or worse.

maro

muslimah
jamaesi said:

Whenever I see other fellow Muslims thinking they have fatwas issued against them, they are labeled as a kafir, they end up dead, or worse.

how can this have anything to do with my post

my post was refering to "islam " and not to "muslims"

the belief system of islam does make sense , and is accepted by the mind ,but certainly not all muslims are perfefct examples of islam

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Islam is what Muslims do. It has a lot to do with your post.

That's why I love Islam so much- the emphasis on learning and thinking, but some Muslims frustrate me to no end when they restrict learning and free thought.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!

Huh? I'm confused. Is not thought part of Islam? Also, what does fatwas have to do with this?

maro

muslimah
Islam is not a religion which hovers on blind beliefs. Instead, God tells mankind in several verses of the Qur'an to use their intellect, to use their reasoning power which they have been bestowed with (which differentiates man from other beasts) to try and understand the 'signs' in this world.This is possible only for ppl who give thought, who ponder.

Find below a few of the many verses where God tells mankind to use its intellect.
1)In the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of night and day, there are signs for people with intelligence: those who remember God, standing, sitting and lying on their sides, and reflect on the creation of the heavens and the earth: Our Lord, You have not created this for nothing. Glory be to You! So safeguard us from the punishment of the Fire. (Surat Al ‘Imran: 190-191)

2) In the creation of the heavens and earth, and the alternation of the night and day, and the ships which sail the seas to people's benefit, and the water which God sends down from the sky – by which He brings the earth to life when it was dead and scatters about in it creatures of every kind – and the varying direction of the winds, and the clouds subservient between heaven and earth, there are Signs for people who use their intellect. ( Surat al-Baqara: 164)

3)Do you not see that God sends down water from the sky and by it We bring forth fruits of varying colours? And in the mountains there are streaks of white and red, or varying shades, and rocks of deep jet black. And mankind and beasts and livestock are likewise of varying colours. Only those of His slaves with knowledge have fear of God. God is Almighty, Ever-Forgiving. (Surah Fatir: 27-28)

4)Will they not ponder the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah, they would have found many inconsistencies in it. ( Surat an-Nisa': 82)

source http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I think I've already watched that brother and previously said I love Ummah Films. Don't patronise me.

That is why I love Islam. But then I look at some other Muslims and I just want to distance myself from them as much as I can.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jamaesi said:
That is why I love Islam. But then I look at some other Muslims and I just want to distance myself from them as much as I can.

Maybe you just end up usually meeting the bad guys. ;) That doesn't mean all Muslims are like that.