• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is RF affecting me?

Tumah

Veteran Member
A recent conversation with my wife:

Wifey: Its so hot outside!

Me: Really?!? Prove it! Show me one verse in the Torah or one passage in the Talmud that says that its hot outside! There's none! You have to learn to look at the whole picture, not just isolated days. Compared to all the days since Day One, today wasn't a particularly hot day even for our region. So stop with your cherry picking!

Wifey: :rolleyes: Ok, stop acting dumb.

Me: Aha see! You can't prove your claims so you've resorted to ad hominem red herrings.

Wifey: :rolleyes: Enough! I can't deal with this now, its too hot. I'm leaving.

Me: You can't leave. We're Monotheistic Panenetheists. Everywhere you go is the same place!

Wifey: :rolleyes: :exasperated: :extremely_evil_stare_that_almost_burns_my_hair_off:

Me: Yes ma'am.

Wifey: :rolleyes_ad_infinitum:

I don't know. Am I becoming to argumentative in face of constant RF debate?!?

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
No. How dare you accuse RF of being full of argumentative people!

now, if you'll excuse me, I have to **** off some Christians and save them from Jesus.

[I like the bit about the Pantheism btw. :D]

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why not engage her with learned and critically important questions such as the following one. Maybe she can offer insight into these questions that have come down through the ages. I'm sure she will share critical and illuminating insights into this question with you from her deep store of knowledge. The entire discourse is at Talmudic Humor and the Establishment of Legal Principles:

Rava asked: What is the law if a mouse enters a house [that has already been cleared of all leavened products] with a piece of bread in its mouth and [subsequently] a mouse leaves with a piece of bread in its mouth? Do we say that the same mouse that entered left, or perhaps it is a different mouse?

This question is important because if we assume the same mouse goes in the house and out again carrying the bread in its mouth, the house is still ready for Passover; if it is a different mouse, the bread is probably different too and the house has to be searched all over again. Even today this is not an improbable scenario as children and toddlers have been known to scamper back and forth with food of all kinds. Now Rava makes the question even more complex:

Should you say that we assume that the same mouse that entered left, what is the law if a white mouse enters a house with a piece of bread in its mouth and then a black one leaves with a piece of bread in its mouth? This is definitely a different mouse, or perhaps one mouse snatched the bread from the other?
(and so forth)

Tumah

Veteran Member
Why not engage her with learned and critically important questions such as the following one. Maybe she can offer insight into these questions that have come down through the ages. I'm sure she will share critical and illuminating insights into this question with you from her deep store of knowledge. The entire discourse is at Talmudic Humor and the Establishment of Legal Principles:

Rava asked: What is the law if a mouse enters a house [that has already been cleared of all leavened products] with a piece of bread in its mouth and [subsequently] a mouse leaves with a piece of bread in its mouth? Do we say that the same mouse that entered left, or perhaps it is a different mouse?

This question is important because if we assume the same mouse goes in the house and out again carrying the bread in its mouth, the house is still ready for Passover; if it is a different mouse, the bread is probably different too and the house has to be searched all over again. Even today this is not an improbable scenario as children and toddlers have been known to scamper back and forth with food of all kinds. Now Rava makes the question even more complex:

Should you say that we assume that the same mouse that entered left, what is the law if a white mouse enters a house with a piece of bread in its mouth and then a black one leaves with a piece of bread in its mouth? This is definitely a different mouse, or perhaps one mouse snatched the bread from the other?
(and so forth)
Haha! That passage is actually a very serious and complicated passage! I'm actually learning that tractate now, although I'm much further in.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Haha! That passage is actually a very serious and complicated passage! I'm actually learning that tractate now, although I'm much further in.
I can pat myself on the back for guessing that someone who uses an image of a Talmudic scholar might know and find meaning in that passage.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
A recent conversation with my wife:

Wifey: Its so hot outside!

Me: Really?!? Prove it! Show me one verse in the Torah or one passage in the Talmud that says that its hot outside! There's none! You have to learn to look at the whole picture, not just isolated days. Compared to all the days since Day One, today wasn't a particularly hot day even for our region. So stop with your cherry picking!

Wifey: :rolleyes: Ok, stop acting dumb.

Me: Aha see! You can't prove your claims so you've resorted to ad hominem red herrings.

Wifey: :rolleyes: Enough! I can't deal with this now, its too hot. I'm leaving.

Me: You can't leave. We're Monotheistic Panenetheists. Everywhere you go is the same place!

Wifey: :rolleyes: :exasperated: :extremely_evil_stare_that_almost_burns_my_hair_off:

Me: Yes ma'am.

Wifey: :rolleyes_ad_infinitum:

I don't know. Am I becoming to argumentative in face of constant RF debate?!?
rolling on the floor, laughing...:D

Tumah

Veteran Member
I can pat myself on the back for guessing that someone who uses an image of a Talmudic scholar might know and find meaning in that passage.
Haha. The person in the image is probably a Talmudic scholar to one extent or another. But what he's actually doing is writing a Torah scroll.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Haha. The person in the image is probably a Talmudic scholar to one extent or another. But what he's actually doing is writing a Torah scroll.
The image is unclear - I thought he was pointing at the Torah. Oh, I see, the image is like some passages that need to be interpreted by one who has clear sight.