• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it most useful tool of comarative religions?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No compulsion in religion. They may believe whatever they like.
Regrds
This is what you often say, but then you go about trying to convince other people that their religion is inferiour. So it is like trying to make yourself tall by claimling other people are all short. So it's contradictory to say one thing, then act differently.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is what you often say, but then you go about trying to convince other people that their religion is inferiour. So it is like trying to make yourself tall by claimling other people are all short. So it's contradictory to say one thing, then act differently.

Did I say that? I never said that ever. If yes, then please quote from me.
I always try to elevate the status of all the revealed religions, their scriptures and their founders. Right? Please
Anybody, please

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Did I say that? I never said that ever. If yes, then please quote from me.
I always try to elevate the status of all the revealed religions, their scriptures and their founders. Right? Please
Anybody, please

Regards
How exactly does changing the Vedas to suit you, or shortening them, when Hindus prefer them just the way they are, help? It doesn't help. Hinduism, again, has no founder. So you can't be elevating us, because you only want to elevate religions that have founders. Right?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is it most useful tool of comparative religions?

I gave one useful tool of comparative religions. My friends in the religious forums of any religion or no-religion could not give an alternative tool of comparing them.
Did I miss one? Please

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here is my tool for comparing, Paarsurrey.

Don't compare, period. Comparing religions is like 20 women standing around comparing their husbands ... who earns the most money, who is stronger, who helps around the house, who shows affection to his wife more. No good can come of it. Best to just leave it alone and enjoy the diversity that is. It's a beautiful world.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Vinayaka ji

How exactly does changing the Vedas to suit you, or shortening them, when Hindus prefer them just the way they are, help? It doesn't help. Hinduism, again, has no founder.

perhaps Hinduism Vinayaka style does not have a Founder ? ......but to a Vaisnava (largest proportion of Hindus) here is one supreme person , ....who said , ......''

sri-bhagavan uvaca
imam vivasvate yogam
proktavan aham avyayam
vivasvan manave praha
manur iksvakave 'bravit

The Blessed Lord said: I instructed this imperishable science of yoga to the sun-god, Vivasvān, and Vivasvān instructed it to Manu, the father of mankind, and Manu in turn instructed it to Ikṣvāku.
.... Ch ..4, "Transcendental Knowledge" V ..1-2

please note this word 'I' .....I instructed , ....this is Sri Bhagavan , ...supreme personality speaking , ....millions of Vaisnavas belive this is word of God , ....the one original person .

This truth was originally spoken 120,000,000 years ago to the Sun God Vivisvan, and it was then re-itterated some 5000 years ago when Krsna again revealed it to Arjuna.

So you can't be elevating us, because you only want to elevate religions that have founders. Right?

who says anything about elevating ? ...... why is it that I can appreciate what Prabhu ji Parrasurrey is saying and you canot ? .....most use full tool is comparrison surely this is easy enough to understand , ....what can we compare if it is not texts ? .... experiences ? ....but as experiences may be failable or incomplete we look to the most authoritive source , ...the original word of God how ever we understand him .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Here is my tool for comparing, Paarsurrey.

Don't compare, period. Comparing religions is like 20 women standing around comparing their husbands ... who earns the most money, who is stronger, who helps around the house, who shows affection to his wife more. No good can come of it. Best to just leave it alone and enjoy the diversity that is. It's a beautiful world.

Vinayaka ji if you do not like comparative religious discussion you do not have to open posts in this forum ?

...and please , please , .....us women have much better things to discuss than you men , ......:D

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Paarsurrey ji

The revealed religions must quote claim and reason on an issue from the revealed scripture they believe in. The non-revealed religions, if they have any canonized scripture, must also do the same. The non-religion people must quote from a text book of science or from a peer-reviewed article published in a religion of repute for the claims and reasons on an issue.

Is it fair and useful to know the Truth? Please

Thread open to everybody. Please
Regards

to my mind comparitive religion is discussion about each religions Knowledge of God this knowledge is usualy contained in each religions Scripture but may br difficult to understand , ......there can also be experience , but this is difficult to assess because experience is allways changing and deepening our understanding ,

comparing the revealations of each religion can be like looking from a differnt perspective on the same truth , ...and putting together the different understandings to find the absolute truth , .....

by doing this it does not mean that one religion only is right , so all others must be wrong , saddly this is what some people fear , .....

personaly I do not see harm in comparing revealed texts or experience .

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vinayaka ji if you do not like comparative religious discussion you do not have to open posts in this forum ?

...and please , please , .....us women have much better things to discuss than you men , ......:D
I was going to use men discussing their wives, but I had to put it one way or another. Maybe men discussing cars, I don't know. I've never been much for comparative anything, as it generally leads to 'mine is better than yours' psychologically. Egos get involved, feelings get hurt. Paarsurrey asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Nothing more than that. If I was to compare, and I'm not, it would be in the behavious of adherents, but that too boils down to individual behaviour, not the generalisation of an entire often very large group of people. I don't judge Amadiyya Islam on the basis of what Paarsurrey says here, not Gaudiya Vaishnavism on what you say. A sample of one is statistically irrelevant.

We're here on this planet to evolve our own inner beings closer to God, and it I thought religious comparison helped with that, I'd be all for it. But as I've indicated many times, my feeling is that mystics don't argue. Any feeling of superiourity or inferiourity would just take one away from God, no?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I was going to use men discussing their wives, but I had to put it one way or another. Maybe men discussing cars, I don't know. I've never been much for comparative anything, as it generally leads to 'mine is better than yours' psychologically.

Comparative studies proper (on any subject) are supposed to be non-judgmental. They endeavor understand the diversity of a subject by examining both similarities and differences.
A comparative religions question could be "what are the different ways world religious traditions address the mortality of humans?" and then let each religion share their story. Honestly, the most useful tool of comparative anything is remarkably simple: LISTENING. Comparative isn't supposed to be about arguing, and this area of the forums is (in that spirit) supposed to be discussion only. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Comparative studies proper (on any subject) are supposed to be non-judgmental. They endeavor understand the diversity of a subject by examining both similarities and differences. A comparative religions question could be "what are the different ways world religious traditions address the mortality of humans?" and then let each religion share their story. Honestly, the most useful tool of comparative anything is remarkably simple: LISTENING. Comparative isn't supposed to be about arguing, and this area of the forums is (in that spirit) supposed to be discussion only. :D

Yes, I agree, and often, with effective moderation, (even at live events) that can be the case. Perhaps I'm just cynical from past negative experiences. Absolutely listening is key. But then its a key human quality for so many of life's endeavours. I feel you listen, read respond, for example. Then it can be meaningful ... very. But old habits die hard, and I admit to having some (much?) cynicism for the OP's ability to listen.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Vinayaka ji

I was going to use men discussing their wives, but I had to put it one way or another. Maybe men discussing cars, I don't know. I've never been much for comparative anything, as it generally leads to 'mine is better than yours' psychologically. Egos get involved, feelings get hurt.

this hardly sounds like true comparrison , ..it sounds more like the general time wasting activity engaged in by those on a more material level , I can fully understand you having little time for this , ...however comparitive religion , surely this is interesting enem instructive ? .....helps us understand each other better , ....thus reducing fear and animosity betwen religious factions

Paarsurrey asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Nothing more than that. If I was to compare, and I'm not, it would be in the behavious of adherents, but that too boils down to individual behaviour, not the generalisation of an entire often very large group of people. I don't judge Amadiyya Islam on the basis of what Paarsurrey says here, not Gaudiya Vaishnavism on what you say. A sample of one is statistically irrelevant.

I think what Paarasurrey asked is what tools are usefull or can be usefull , in comparative religion ? ......he puts forth suggestions , ..like Revealed texts , Discourses by saintly or learned persons , ...etc , ...this surely is suggesting that we go beyond oppinion and look to respected and accredited sources , .....

I don't judge Amadiyya Islam on the basis of what Paarsurrey says here, not Gaudiya Vaishnavism on what you say. A sample of one is statistically irrelevant.

exactly and for this reason we need some authoritive Source , ....this is why many times I do not give my oppinion , I give quotation from Bhagavad Gita , ....or relevent text to topic under discussion , ....

We're here on this planet to evolve our own inner beings closer to God, and it I thought religious comparison helped with that, I'd be all for it. But as I've indicated many times, my feeling is that mystics don't argue. Any feeling of superiourity or inferiourity would just take one away from God, no?

Jai Jai , ...certainly , ....but each of us may evolve differently , to me hearing others discuss the undrestanding that their tradition holds of God and how to develop that closeness , Knowledge , appreciation and Love can only enrich my appreciation and understanding of God , ...but to others perhaps this is scary ? ....but still surely there is no need to argue , ...what I have wittnessed here (RF) and in daily life , is that many times there is a defenciveness in some that prevents listening or realy hearing , ...an accidental assumption as to the intention of others , ...an accidental assumption that another only wishes to compare in order to detfeat and to claim supreiority , ....these although accidental , are dangerous assumptions , ...surely such assumptions also take us further from God as they bring us back down to the material platform where all we see is us and them , ...this is the illusion that many great Hindu sages have warned against , that we should not associate so heavily with the bodily conception of life and that we should try to elevate ourselves to a spiritual platform , ....

true true , ....you frequently say ''Mystics dont argue'', ....but surely mystics aim the mind to see above the mundane level , ..to see the paramatma in all beings and to marvel at the mastery of the Supreme person in that he appears variously to diverse minds and cultures , ....and the richness of each culture , this to me is incredible , ....what need is there to argue or to fear others when we could build trust and break down barriers , ....?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Nobody suggested any other tool of comparative religions. That suggests that there is none other. Right? Please

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Nobody suggested any other tool of comparative religions. That suggests that there is none other. Right? Please

Regards
You were asking for any? It must have escaped me.

Religions may and IMO should be compared on grounds of how they deal with superstitions, how much ground on objective reality they seek, how willing they are to question themselves, which values they hold and pursue, and last but not least on how they affect their adherents.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Someone has to fight the misrepresentations of Hinduism that are being perpetrated.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think a valid way to judge religions would be as to how much they are capable of keeping to themselves, and not interfering with or misinterpreting other religions. Gosh I would hate to be in a religion like that. One would be so busy critiquing everyone else that they would have no time to work on their own behaviour.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a valid way to judge religions would be as to how much they are capable of keeping to themselves, and not interfering with or misinterpreting other religions. Gosh I would hate to be in a religion like that. One would be so busy critiquing everyone else that they would have no time to work on their own behaviour.

Hah... sagacious advice for life in general, whether we are talking religion or some other aspect of living, right?