• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Homosexuality a illness? And how to heal?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not considered a mental illness by the major psychological institutions in the developed world, and neither the DSM nor the ICD lists it as such. It is a perfectly natural orientation that is also found in other species in the animal kingdom.

The belief that homosexuality is an illness or a curse stems from ancient myths about homosexuality. Only religious beliefs fuel this unscientific perception, and it is gradually fading away from the civilized world.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not an illness or disease, but I guess if anything, it's a difference in preference, like left-handedness. The OP is free to disagree, but that's my opinion.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I know there are christian camps for homosexuals for healing.
Do u think that works if homosexuality is a illness and curse?
No, not an illness at all, and the camps do not work in any significant way.

It's more a way for kids to get together and share a marshmallow or two.

raph

Sadly, I am not gay, so I don't really know, what I am talking about.

I heard some stories on the internet, how homosexuals changed. Science is ignoring healing gays and labeling it as a "normal condition that doesnt need cure" because of following reasons:

- Psychology is not advanced enough to heal it, attempts failed miserably
- Most homosexuals who changed, did it with the help of God
- Gays aren't causing any trouble
- Gays are happy/accepted with their condition
- We don't know the reasons for homosexuality, so it must be "normal"
(The argument, that says homosexuality is normal, because animals also can be gay is flawed. With this resoning it should be seen as normal to eat the partner after sex, because it is normal for animals)

Why would you think homosexuality was any more pathological than left-handedness or red hair?

Pedophilia is a psychological disorder that makes people sexualy attracted to the wrong group of people.¨
Homosexuality makes people sexually attracted to the wrong group of people.

Why is pedophilia considered a cureable phycological disorder, and homosexuality is labeled a normal condition? I really don't know, I guess it is because of some of the 5 reasons above. A pedophile is more likely to heal, because he is not socially accepted like homosexuals. Changing sexual attraction requires really hard work. Homosexuals don't feel the need to change their sexual orientation like pedophiles, because homosexuality is socially accepted. But there are stories, where homosexuals really wanted to change, put in the work, prayed to God, and changed their sexual orientation.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Sad to say, it sort of shows. I wish you showed a bit more wisdom and compassion.

I heard some stories on the internet, how homosexuals changed. Science is ignoring healing gays and labeling it as a "normal condition that doesnt need cure" because of following reasons:

Never mind science. People are ignoring "healing of gays" because it does not really exist, and also because homosexuality is indeed normal.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard some stories on the internet, how homosexuals changed.

Yeah..........no. Okay, so whilst personal identity is a large factor in defining one's sexual orientation here's the thing. The way homosexuality is defined by major mental health organizations (you know? The actual experts who know what they're talking about?) as
- A person with consistent emotional, physical, romantic and/or sexual attraction to person/s of the same sex.
This definition has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual behavior of any kind.

The way anti gay camps define homosexuality as usually as homosexual sexual behavior specifically or conflate attraction and behavior in an attempt to pass off their different definition as credible or the same as the professional clinical definition. It is neither of those things in an academic environment.

It is very important to note this distinction as the usage of language in both scenarios will give you different results. Why? Because Ex Gay "Therapy" uses the definition to stop the behavior specifically and even the majority of supposed "cured gays" will say something to the effect of "I'm still fighting same sex attraction." This indicates that at least as far as the clinical definition is concerned THEY ARE STILL GAY. Now far be it from me to tell another person their sexual identity, so this is going strictly by definitions alone.

Psychology is not advanced enough to heal it, attempts failed miserably

Well yes, but that's not because "Psychology is not advanced enough to heal it."
The majority of Mental Health professionals as well as many professionals in other Medical Disciplines have concerns with "Ex Gay Therapy" as they find it has a rather high correlation (and potential causation) of depression, low self esteem, suicidal tendencies for it's patents. They also note that the techniques are highly questionable and often replete with unethical practices.

Ehh....debatable. See above.

Gays aren't causing any trouble

Why yes, we usually tend to ignore minorities if they are relatively benign. Why the hell would you try to cure something that does essentially nothing? That would be fruitless and ultimately time wasting. Time better spent on curing ACTUAL ailments like cancer or making prosthetic limbs more sophisticated for users or you know feeding the hungry or something more beneficial to actual society at large.

Gays are happy/accepted with their condition

Oh no? Happy people? Errr again why bother going after perfectly happy people who are essentially innocuous? That would be rather silly.

We don't know the reasons for homosexuality, so it must be "normal"

No scientist has ever claimed it was "normal." At least not as far as the layman definition. It just happens to be an infrequent occurrence making it by definition abnormal. But abnormality doesn't mean it has to be "cured." It just happens to be less frequent.So no, scientists will often leave an "abnormality" alone if it proves to be ultimately innocuous because there's not actual point in trying to change it, in fact it could be detrimental to those people if one does try to change it. And homosexuality IS ultimately innocuous. Trying to turn a gay straight is on the same level as endorsing black people using bleach to "fix" their perceived abnormality in a white society.

(The argument, that says homosexuality is normal, because animals also can be gay is flawed. With this resoning it should be seen as normal to eat the partner after sex, because it is normal for animals)

No. This argument is a direct counter to those who claim it is unnatural. There is no mention of detrimental, beneficial or indifferent actions in this particular case. This is essentially moving the goal posts.

Pedophilia is a psychological disorder that makes people sexualy attracted to the wrong group of people.¨

Why is pedophilia considered a cureable phycological disorder, and homosexuality is labeled a normal condition? I really don't know, I guess it is because of some of the 5 reasons above. A pedophile is more likely to heal, because he is not socially accepted like homosexuals. Changing sexual attraction requires really hard work. Homosexuals don't feel the need to change their sexual orientation like pedophiles, because homosexuality is socially accepted. But there are stories, where homosexuals really wanted to change, put in the work, prayed to God, and changed their sexual orientation.

:mad:
No. Just.......NO!

We do not cure pedophiles just because they are different we attempt to cure or keep them away from children because the established mental health data CONSISTENTLY shows that the effects of sexual abuse of a child is life long and ultimately destroying. We attempt to cure pedophiles as an extension of attempts to ACTIVELY PROTECT KIDS!!

Homosexual relationships are much the same of heterosexual relationships (usually.) They involve the informed consent of people old enough not to be traumatized by sexual relationships and are rather benign ultimately. So we leave them alone as to try to focus our attention on "curing them" is wasted time which can be better used elsewhere.

Last edited:

gsa

- Psychology is not advanced enough to heal it, attempts failed miserably
- Gays aren't causing any trouble
- Gays are happy/accepted with their condition
- We don't know the reasons for homosexuality, so it must be "normal"

Good evidence that rational people should approach Bahais the same way that they should approach Muslims. \

To address your so-called content:

1. Psychology in actual civilized countries is advanced enough to rely on actual data. Muslims and Bahais won't understand of course, but that is to be expected.

2. The argument that homosexuality is natural is a response to idiotic claims that it is unnatural, which your tradition, among others, endorses.

3. Pedophilia is condemned because it is inherently coercive. See, in places where people are respected regardless of gender and rank, rape and sexual assault is considered a real crime. That includes pedophilia. It also includes things like marital rape.

4. Pedophilia cannot be cured. It can only be managed. The problem with pedophilia is that, when acted upon, it is inherently coercive (see #3 above). You can only expect pedophiles to refrain from acting on their sexual urges. Heterosexuality and homosexuality is similar: You cannot cure it, you can only manage it.

Not that I expect you to change your views. Bahais are no different from most Abrahamics, even though they spit on you. I guess you will learn the hard way.

raph

Why? Because Ex Gay "Therapy" uses the definition to stop the behavior specifically and even the majority of supposed "cured gays" will say something to the effect of "I'm still fighting same sex attraction." This indicates that at least as far as the clinical definition is concerned THEY ARE STILL GAY.

For me, a cure would be, if the patient is able to have sex with the opposite gender. To remove the homosexual urges would be more of a bonus. Afaik, most of the "healed gays" are able to have sex with the opposite gender now, regardless of other urges.
Psychology in actual civilized countries is advanced enough to rely on actual data. Muslims and Bahais won't understand of course, but that is to be expected.

Believe me, there are scientific areas, where I actually know what I am talking about. Homosexuality is not one of them, and I said it in my first sentence. You can generelise all Bahais and muslims from my post, if you want. I give you the advice to not generelise people based on their beliefs, and to not call a whole group of people stupid, if one member says something, that you regard as stupid. There are Bahais and even Muslims (!! :O) who know more about homosexuality, then you do.

Not that I expect you to change your views. Bahais are no different from most Abrahamics, even though they spit on you. I guess you will learn the hard way.

And I wrote Bahai into my profile to become popular... :(

Pedophilia cannot be cured. It can only be managed. The problem with pedophilia is that, when acted upon, it is inherently coercive (see #3 above). You can only expect pedophiles to refrain from acting on their sexual urges. Heterosexuality and homosexuality is similar: You cannot cure it, you can only manage it.

If homosexuals want to manage the condition, they surely would be happy, if science helped them.

The majority of Mental Health professionals as well as many professionals in other Medical Disciplines have concerns with "Ex Gay Therapy" as they find it has a rather high correlation (and potential causation) of depression, low self esteem, suicidal tendencies for it's patents. They also note that the techniques are highly questionable and often replete with unethical practices.

Ex Gay therapy being flawed is no proof, that there can't be a better one. 100 years ago, schitzophrenia therapy was flawed and dangerous. I bet, there was a time in science when everyone thought, that schitzophrenia is incurable. Today, patients can live an almost normal life.

Errr again why bother going after perfectly happy people who are essentially innocuous? That would be rather silly.

I am not saying that we should forcefully convert homosexuals. But some people want to change, they want kids on their own. For me, it would be a handicap, if I was not able to love a woman and have kids with her. I would appreciate, if there was a cure, that would enable for me to be sexually attracted to women.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, a cure would be, if the patient is able to have sex with the opposite gender. To remove the homosexual urges would be more of a bonus. Afaik, most of the "healed gays" are able to have sex with the opposite gender now, regardless of other urges.

Being gay does not mean you can't have sex with the opposite sex. It never has! Oscar Wilde a gay freaking icon who was actually locked up for homosexual charges levied against him had a wife a 3 kids for crying out loud!
Hell in Ancient Rome men had sex with younger men to teach them how to properly have sex with their future wife. The only people not able to have sex with the opposite sex are people who are asexual. I suppose you'll go after those poor ******** next?
Good god, man. No wonder you guys have so many "success stories." Your notion of a cure is NOT AN ACTUAL CURE but rather getting people to have mechanical sex with someone they do not find attractive. Something everyone can essentially accomplish, gay or straight.
Actually if that's the "cure" to save on time all the Ex Gay Therapy peeps would have to do is get everyone drunk enough so they can have sex with someone they don't find attractive. Job freaking done.

Ex Gay therapy being flawed is no proof, that there can't be a better one. 100 years ago, schitzophrenia therapy was flawed and dangerous. I bet, there was a time in science when everyone thought, that schitzophrenia is incurable. Today, patients can live an almost normal life.

100 hundred years ago the landscape of what we consider legitimate scientific practices was wholly different. In today's current age, Ex Gay Therapy does not live up to the standards we find in today's accepted scientific landscape. It's not because it is flawed it's because it essentially goes against already established science. It has already been debunked by people much smarter and more knowledgeable than you or I about such topics. You might as well argue that Alchemy should not have been replaced with Chemistry. Science moves quickly, if you can't keep up don't blame Science for calling you out for it.

I am not saying that we should forcefully convert homosexuals. But some people want to change, they want kids on their own. For me, it would be a handicap, if I was not able to love a woman and have kids with her. I would appreciate, if there was a cure, that would enable for me to be sexually attracted to women.

Homosexuality is not and will never be the same as infertility. Many homosexual people are parents through "normal" or science induced surrogate pregnancies, all without going through Ex Gay Therapy. So even your reason is not enough to keep such a wholly unscientific, potentially dangerous practice around. It's not even needed for your scenario to have a "happy ending."

Last edited:

raph

Being gay does not mean you can't have sex with the opposite sex. It never has! Oscar Wilde a gay freaking icon who was actually locked up for homosexual charges levied against him had a wife a 3 kids for crying out loud!

Thank you, I have learned something. So why do homosexuals always say, that "it is not a choice?".So homosexuals are able to have sex with other genders, but are unable to love them? Everybody is able to love anybody, I can love my male friends too. So is homosexuality about not being able to love opposite genders?

The only people not able to have sex with the opposite sex are people who are asexual. I suppose you'll go after those poor ******** next?

I am not going after anyone. If I could cure asexuality, I would give my life for it.

No wonder you guys have so many "success stories." Your notion of a cure is NOT AN ACTUAL CURE but rather getting people to have mechanical sex with someone they do not find attractive. Something everyone can essentially accomplish, gay or straight.

I am not one of "those guys" (Who are they?). And my notion of a cure may not be the same as other people's notion of a cure. I thought, that homosexuals are unable to be sexually attracted to opposite genders. If it is not like that, I was simply wrong. If this is true, than my notion of a cure would change into, allowing homosexuals to love opposite genders and finding them attractive.