• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a Deity?

Is God a deity?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Not really. We're talking more about individual/religious perspective.

I see. One has to wonder, though, how effective a word can be at communicating a concept if there is extra meaning attributed to a word that isn't widely known in the public consciousness

Can that change? Sure. To "save" someone has extra meaning to it in our culture than to just physically rescue someone from danger, but that is more due to the popularity of Evangelical Christianity in American culture. "Deity" can be made to mean many things just like any other word, but publicly it will be associated with a god more often than not if people choose to use it in conversation outside of their specific religious/spiritual group. Any other meaning aside from that isn't popular enough to have much value at communicating extra meaning than deity as a god

PureX

Veteran Member
People speak of "God", both theists and atheists alike. This is more often than not referring to the God of Abraham, aka Allah and Yahweh. This is the God we are discussing for the purpose of this thread.

The question is pretty straightforward.

Is God a deity?

Feel free to explain your response to the poll.
God is first an ideal. Whatever else God may be, apart from the ideal, is unknown.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is impossible to answer, as God is not defined by any words or titles, God is only made know by these words and titles. No mind can grasp who and what is God, no mind can contemplate the source of their own being, which is Spirit, the giver of their own rational mind.

Regards Tony

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Is God a deity?

An odd question. The god of Abrahamic religions - often called God, G-d, Yaweh, etc. - is a type of deity. Was this ever in dispute?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

From this I'm not sure. The origins of the word were outside my paradigm, but it has now snuck into most of the world's religions through the spread of the English language. Not that it matters.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
People speak of "God", both theists and atheists alike. This is more often than not referring to the God of Abraham, aka Allah and Yahweh. This is the God we are discussing for the purpose of this thread.

Is God a deity?

Deity and god are synonyms, whether one is referring to the single monotheistic god, or to a god in a polytheistic pantheon.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Is God a deity?

"A deity" no. I am a deity. You are a deity. We exist within God. That is my perspective. From that point of view if God were a deity it would be beyond any ability to explain, somewhat like trying to make a Klein bottle.