• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting and an eye opener

Skwim

Veteran Member
Last Saturday I ordered a pizza over the phone. When I went to pick it up a young guy, looking to be about 17, waited on me and told me my order came to $16.61. I dug out the 61 cents and handed it over, and having a wad of bills in my wallet that I wanted to reduce, I gave him a five and a one. Then I gave him a twenty (I didn't have a ten or any more fives). He looked at it a moment and then looked at me rather quizzically, as if needing an explanation. I told him that I had just gave him $26.61 and would like ten dollars back. This didn't register at all. So I told him exactly what I had just done, that the bill was $16.61 and the total amount of money I had given him was $26.61 and that 16.61 from 26.61 was 10. He was still drawing a blank, and after a moment called one of the other workers to come over and take a look at what was happening. She immediately saw the situation and told him to give me $10.00. Almost reluctantly he handed over my $10.00. What was interesting is that here was what I assume to be a high school senior---perhaps a junior---who was intelligent looking enough, but unable to do simple math in his head. I know there are a number of people out there who are in the same boat, but I had never come across one before.

Ever have one of these encounters?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Last Saturday I ordered a pizza over the phone. When I went to pick it up a young guy, looking to be about 17, waited on me and told me my order came to $16.61. I dug out the 61 cents and handed it over, and having a wad of bills in my wallet that I wanted to reduce, I gave him a five and a one. Then I gave him a twenty (I didn't have a ten or any more fives). He looked at it a moment and then looked at me rather quizzically, as if needing an explanation. I told him that I had just gave him $26.61 and would like ten dollars back. This didn't register at all. So I told him exactly what I had just done, that the bill was $16.61 and the total amount of money I had given him was $26.61 and that 16.61 from 26.61 was 10. He was still drawing a blank, and after a moment called one of the other workers to come over and take a look at what was happening. She immediately saw the situation and told him to give me $10.00. Almost reluctantly he handed over my $10.00. What was interesting is that here was what I assume to be a high senior---perhaps a junior---who was intelligent looking enough, but unable to do simple math in his head. I know there are a number of people out there who are in the same boat, but I had never come across one before.

Ever have one of these encounters?
Yes. I also have brain freeze doing simple math sometimes. But what was odd about your situation is that you explained it and he still didn't get it. He might be able to do the math alone or on paper but not in his head and in front of someone who is waiting.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
does not say much about education in this country. and these are the people who will be running things in a few years
I am sorry but I think that jumping to the conclusion that it is his education that is at fault here is wrong. Education does little to prepare young people for the working world. It can't cure math dyslexia. It can't calm fright which causes brain freeze. I would bet that young person could do the math in another situation. Really. Maybe Skwim was scaring him.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I've been on both sides of a situation like this, although like Savagewind said, it's odd that he still didn't get it after having it explained. I can't do simple math in my head. I just never learned how. Blame the Florida School system if you want, but it is embarrassing when it happens, so I feel bad for this kid because I know the feeling, but I also appreciate the frustration from the customer end.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know many people that can't do math well, but in your case he seemed to just be way too fresh at his job.
He'll be fine after a couple more deliveries.
Deliveries? LOL. Wrong answer. "He went to pick it up". I would not nitpick. but it is so much on topic I needed to do it. I am sorry and I hope that you think it is funny too.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
lol, my bad. I read too fast for my own good. I meant 'after a few more customer interactions' :D
I think I might have been smarter if I had had glasses in elementary school. I remember having a session of a screen of words that went by fast but I couldn't read it! I thought I was stupid. What a person thinks of himself or herself is important.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wondering about the condition, I decided to look it up, and sure enough, it has a name: dyscalculia.

Dyscalculia is a brain-based condition that makes it hard to make sense of numbers and math concepts. Some kids with dyscalculia can’t grasp basic number concepts. They work hard to learn and memorize basic number facts. They may know what to do in math class but don’t understand why they’re doing it. In other words, they miss the logic behind it.

Other kids understand the logic behind the math but aren’t sure how and when to apply their knowledge to solving problems.

Dyscalculia goes by many names. Some public schools refer to it as a “mathematics learning disability.” Doctors sometimes call it a “mathematics disorder.” Many kids and parents call it “math dyslexia.”
source

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I do that practice with coins but not with bills. I think I used to do it with bills but decided it wasn't worth the confusion.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
This one isn't about math skills but it should fit right in anyway:

(at a coffee shop)

Me: Hi, I'd like a large, half-caf coffee please.

The "barista": A what?

Me: A large half-decaf coffee.

The "barista": We don't have that here.

Me: What?

The "barista": I never even heard of that.

Me: Do you have decaf?

The "barista": Yeah.

Me: Do you have regular coffee?

The "barista": Uh, yeah-uh (duh).

Me: Ok, so what I'm asking for is a cup filled halfway with decaf, and the other half with regular coffee.

The "barista": I don't know if we can do that. (like it might explode or something)

Me:What?

The "barista": *looks at me like I'm nuts and goes to talk to another worker, probably the supervisor*

Supervisor: So what did you want?

Me: I want a large cup filled half way with regular coffee, and the other half with decaf.

Supervisor: You mean a half-caf?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would never conclude from a single incident that someone is incapable of doing math in their head. One data point is not a trend.