• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Islam, is the Qur'an open to interpretation?

Deidre

In Christianity, there are many denominations. This is because there are many individual interpretations of the Bible. Many Christians (mainly fundamentalists) feel that interpreting the Bible is wrong, and it should be viewed in a literal sense, in its entirety. I explored Islam last year before returning to Christianity, and have heard mixed things about how to interpret the Qur'an. So my question is, are Muslims permitted to interpret the Qur'an as they wish? Or must it be viewed, literally, in its entirety?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
are Muslims permitted to interpret the Qur'an as they wish? Or must it be viewed, literally, in its entirety?
Speaking as an anti-theist and advocate for the end of Islam as a doctrine with religious intent, I currently feel that an accurate answer would be twofold.

On the one hand, I am so often told of the importance of the Qur'an and of how disastrous it is to even take the Ahadith too seriously that it certainly seems difficult to deny that the Qur'an must indeed be viewed (according to Islam) by a perspective that is, if not rigid and literal, at least remarkably careful to choose among often very disparate readings.

On the other hand, that is only possible because the text is not particularly clear to begin with, and therefore it must follow that a good Muslim needs in fact to interpret the Qur'an even if he would rather not. The only alternative would be to let someone else do the interpretation and borrow from there, but I am also told that Muslims don't really approve of that.

A more pragmatic yet perhaps more significant consideration is that most Muslims, like most other people, tend to avoid potentially difficult discussions of proper doctrine unless given either some form of reassurance that those difficult matters will not be raised or else a clear reason to run that risk.

TLDR: No, they are not permitted to freely interpret the Qur'an, mainly because much of the point of having it is to establish clear, rarely questioned paramenters for social behavior.

Yet, at the same time, most if not all Muslims can't help but ultimately accept the need to choose some interpretation among several. They usually won't like to admit that need, but they will feel it nonetheless.

interminable

منتظر
It's intensely reprimanded by God that those who have no knowledge try to interpret the quran
The common way among scholars is that someone needs to be expert in islamic sciences to be able to interpret the quran

interminable

منتظر
That's probably not true. A lot of Muslims here have said that the Qur'an is simple and easy for anyone to understand.
Yes but some verses are very hard to understand and some of them are used in jurisprudence so it's necessary to be expert to deduce the true meaning of the verse

Laika

Premium Member
In Christianity, there are many denominations. This is because there are many individual interpretations of the Bible. Many Christians (mainly fundamentalists) feel that interpreting the Bible is wrong, and it should be viewed in a literal sense, in its entirety. I explored Islam last year before returning to Christianity, and have heard mixed things about how to interpret the Qur'an. So my question is, are Muslims permitted to interpret the Qur'an as they wish? Or must it be viewed, literally, in its entirety?

Yes, "interpretation" of the Qu'ran is permitted but by who and how much depends on the branch of Islam.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijtihad

Even Conservative and Orthodox Muslims accept the Qu'ran is open to some interpretation but they limit what can be considered the "correct" interpretation to Islamic scholars with the expertise that is considered necessary to do. But I think its they don't want the Qu'ran to be "mis-interpreted" or corrupted as they see it, more than anything else. Its only in more liberal/progressive branches that individuals are free to interpret the Qu'ran for themselves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_and_progressive_Muslim_movements

Speaking as an anti-theist and advocate for the end of Islam as a doctrine with religious intent, I currently feel that an accurate answer would be twofold.

On the one hand, I am so often told of the importance of the Qur'an and of how disastrous it is to even take the Ahadith too seriously that it certainly seems difficult to deny that the Qur'an must indeed be viewed (according to Islam) by a perspective that is, if not rigid and literal, at least remarkably careful to choose among often very disparate readings.

On the other hand, that is only possible because the text is not particularly clear to begin with, and therefore it must follow that a good Muslim needs in fact to interpret the Qur'an even if he would rather not. The only alternative would be to let someone else do the interpretation and borrow from there, but I am also told that Muslims don't really approve of that.

A more pragmatic yet perhaps more significant consideration is that most Muslims, like most other people, tend to avoid potentially difficult discussions of proper doctrine unless given either some form of reassurance that those difficult matters will not be raised or else a clear reason to run that risk.

TLDR: No, they are not permitted to freely interpret the Qur'an, mainly because much of the point of having it is to establish clear, rarely questioned paramenters for social behavior.

Yet, at the same time, most if not all Muslims can't help but ultimately accept the need to choose some interpretation among several. They usually won't like to admit that need, but they will feel it nonetheless.

The impression I have is that only scholars may interpret it. Rather like pre-Reformation Christianity, it has to be in a certian language (arabic) and it is the "church" that decides rather than the individual.

Limo

Quran doesn't need interpretation but explanation and comments.
There is no mediators or "religious men" or shadow of god or someone speaks with his name.
Quran is revealed in Arabic which is prophet Mohamed and Arabic people language. Pagans around Mohamed were have fully understanding of what he was reciting.
Quran is kept till date in the same language and recited in the same accent and rules.

There are some words and verses that are using odd or non-used words or have a certain historical context that need to be known.

There are legal ways to have the correct "understanding" :
  • By Quran itself, some verses are explained by other verses
  • By prophet Mohamed's sayings. He's the best one understood Quran
  • By Arabic languages rules
  • Knowing the history of Islam during Prophet's Mohamed life time
  • New proofed/agreed scientific discoveries. A lot of modern studies
This is the Islamic way for the main stream Muslims to understand not to interpret Quran.

The issue is : some sects appeared and try to impose a certain understanding that never been in Islam before. These understandings have no base and also contradicts with Quran even :
  • Groups that support certain person or people for leading Muslims
  • Groups tries to please non-Muslims especially Jews and Christians. They tried to have something in between or a kind of agreement.
  • Groups that feel shy or shamed from some Islamic Laws in Quran like Jihad and Laws of punishment for example stoning the Adultery
These groups are saying that Quran needs interpretation. They've false interpretation supported neither by Quran, nor prophet Mohamed sayings, nor history, nor Arabic language, nor history, nor sense

Conclusion : Quran is self explanatory but you need to have some ground from Prophet, history, and language to have full understanding

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well since Islam seems to have no central authority like Christianity has, who is there to say 'this interpretation is wrong' and 'this is the right way'?

Kirran

Premium Member
As much as anything else, to read something and get any meaning from it is interpretation already. You can't really prevent people having their own interpretations, as it's just what happens when humans read books.

Limo

Well since Islam seems to have no central authority like Christianity has, who is there to say 'this interpretation is wrong' and 'this is the right way'?

Any explanation (not an interpretation) follows the agreed ways listed above is accepted.
The explanation need to be accepted by the collective opinion of majority, shouldn't be odd.
Also, the explanator need to be accepted by collective opinion of majority.

At the end of the day, if a sect or a group has an odd/weird/nonsense explanation, it's for them and it's not considered Islamic.

Odd and weird explanations are just rejected by majority of Muslims and are challenged by scholars.

Limo

As much as anything else, to read something and get any meaning from it is interpretation already. You can't really prevent people having their own interpretations, as it's just what happens when humans read books.
True
Some Non-Muslims already have books explaining Quran.

But it's not considered accepted Islamic explanation.

Limo

Many Muslims understand the Qur'an in ways other Muslims don't accept! Everyone needs to calm down a little about it IMO.
Not many really.
The odd and wired understanding is the main driver to have some sects/group.
Some groups are not considered Muslims even they don't consider themselves Muslims.

There is only one true understanding which is based on prophet Mohamed and his companions understanding.

If someone sleeps under starts and scratch his head.... mmm... why don't we have some agreement with Christianity.
Another one is star guest or wants to be star guest in western festivals and gatherings, start to omit or explain terminologies with totally different thing, especially things that others don't feel comfortable about it and he himself feels shy. Then jump from the chair .... Oh.... this is not what is meant here

These are non Islamic explanation.
Lately someone or group of people omits many verses from Quran especially ones the call violent and call it Forqn. This is not Islamic.

Are they happy with. Nop, it's them not us.

Kirran

Premium Member
Not many really.
The odd and wired understanding is the main driver to have some sects/group.
Some groups are not considered Muslims even they don't consider themselves Muslims.

There is only one true understanding which is based on prophet Mohamed and his companions understanding.

If someone sleeps under starts and scratch his head.... mmm... why don't we have some agreement with Christianity.
Another one is star guest or wants to be star guest in western festivals and gatherings, start to omit or explain terminologies with totally different thing, especially things that others don't feel comfortable about it and he himself feels shy. Then jump from the chair .... Oh.... this is not what is meant here

These are non Islamic explanation.
Lately someone or group of people omits many verses from Quran especially ones the call violent and call it Forqn. This is not Islamic.

Are they happy with. Nop, it's them not us.

But who decides what the one true understanding is? Who decides what is the correct way to view the Qur'an? The correct theology?

Are Mu'tazilites missing the one true understanding? What of the various other ways of understanding the Qur'an which flourished prior to Ashari hegemony taking hold in the first few centuries AH?

Limo

But who decides what the one true understanding is? Who decides what is the correct way to view the Qur'an? The correct theology?

Are Mu'tazilites missing the one true understanding? What of the various other ways of understanding the Qur'an which flourished prior to Ashari hegemony taking hold in the first few centuries AH?
I've answered the question above. Will you please go to post #10 and #13

Yes Mu'tazilites are missing the true understanding.

I don't understand the second question

Kirran

Premium Member
I've answered the question above. Will you please go to post #10 and #13

Yes Mu'tazilites are missing the true understanding.

I don't understand the second question

Yeah I read those posts. How do you know you're not missing the true understanding, and the Mu'tazilites have it?

If you didn't understand the second question that's OK you still understood 4 out of 5.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes, but with a caveat. Your interpretation, in theory, should agree with what the majority of Muslims believe. Think of it as the religious version of the tyranny of the majority.