• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If humanity discovers every fact about the universe will we prove/disprove God?

Jeremy Taylor

What do you mean by fact? Traditionally this refers simply to facta, empirical entities as we observe them. These by definition cannot interpret themselves.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No we wont, because we would have never found a god hidden somewhere out there, we would drop the concept of god and just simply enjoy the beautiful cosmos, what more do we need ?.

God lover

What do you mean by fact? Traditionally this refers simply to facta, empirical entities as we observe them. These by definition cannot interpret themselves.
I guess what I mean by facts would be observed physical qualities of the universe.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts. How does that sound? Is it clear? Happy to hear more

Laika

Premium Member
After every last fact is discovered, will we still debate God's existence?

I think this is kind of a non-question because your assuming that mankind can be omniscienct in order to find an omniscient being. I don't think it works that way. I would argue that mankind is not, nor never can be omniscient because our knowledge is as limited by our own physical limitations. So really the debate over god's existence is based on inferring properties as to the nature of the universe based on what we already know. There will always be something we don't know.

If we argue that nature is uniformly governed by natural laws and therefore does not require a creator, we can say "no", because what we don't know would still fit in this naturalistic conception of the universe. its all about the god of the gaps.

God lover

No we wont, because we would have never found a god hidden somewhere out there, we would drop the concept of god and just simply enjoy the beautiful cosmos, what more do we need ?.
I agree that we will never see God after every last physical fact is discovered! But, I feel that it wouldn't disprove God. I think God is hidden from the physical Universe. God is real, but we will never see him in a telescope or a microscope, or with any kind of ditection technology.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I agree that we will never see God after every last physical fact is discovered! But, I feel that it wouldn't disprove God. I think God is hidden from the physical Universe. God is real, but we will never see him in a telescope or a microscope, or with any kind of ditection technology.
Yes, for me god is everything, we are all connected to this everything, but god is certainly not a personified being, with arms and legs, or a beard lol.

God lover

I think this is kind of a non-question because your assuming that mankind can be omniscienct in order to find an omniscient being. I don't think it works that way. I would argue that mankind is not, nor never can be omniscient because our knowledge is as limited by our own physical limitations. So really the debate over god's existence is based on inferring properties as to the nature of the universe based on what we already know. There will always be something we don't know.

If we argue that nature is uniformly governed by natural laws and therefore does not require a creator, we can say "no", because what we don't know would still fit in this naturalistic conception of the universe. its all about the god of the gaps.

I agree that we will never find all the facts about the universe. It's a bit of an un-answerable question I admit.

My feeling is that we won't see God in the physical Universe. If we see God, I think it will be in a separate realm altogether.

Jeremy Taylor

I guess what I mean by facts would be observed physical qualities of the universe.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts. How does that sound? Is it clear? Happy to hear more

I think that sounds good. And no, I don't think this will disprove God because facts are not enough for knowledge, we need dialectic, or rational analysis, to make sense of them. We could observe all the facts in the universe, in the sense of physical entities, and there would still be much more in the way of knowledge to be got.

God lover

Yes, for me god is everything, we are all connected to this everything, but god is certainly not a personified being, with arms and legs, or a beard lol.
The bearded God you speak of sounds silly to me as well:) but I don't think my cells are part of God. I do t feel like God. I think I am part of what God made. Sometimes it feels like God moves between my molecules.

God lover

I think that sounds good. And no, I don't think this will disprove God because facts are not enough for knowledge, we need dialectic, or rational analysis, to make sense of them. We could observe all the facts in the universe, in the sense of physical entities, and there would still be much more in the way of knowledge to be got.
Ooo, I like the way you said that.

Laika

Premium Member
I agree that we will never find all the facts about the universe. It's a bit of an un-answerable question I admit.

My feeling is that we won't see God in the physical Universe. If we see God, I think it will be in a separate realm altogether.

Yeah. the issue is whether we can establish that the seperate realm exists. if we said it can't exist (which would require some form of materialism or radical naturalism) then we could say god is impossible. But its a complex area of philosophy to say the least.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The bearded God you speak of sounds silly to me as well:) but I don't think my cells are part of God. I do t feel like God. I think I am part of what God made. Sometimes it feels like God moves between my molecules.
Of course you don't feel like God, how on earth does God feel ?, but yes you are certainly part of God, just as the waves on the ocean are the ocean, we are like the wave believing we are separate from the ocean, asking the question, "I don't feel like the ocean".

God lover

Of course you don't feel like God, how on earth does God feel ?, but yes you are certainly part of God, just as the waves on the ocean are the ocean, we are like the wave believing we are separate from the ocean, asking the question, "I don't feel like the ocean".
I feel like you and I have a very different concept of God. I find your comments interesting. In my mind, God knows everything. I wonder what you think! Do you think God knows everything? I am asking as honestly as a friend.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel like you and I have a very different concept of God. I find your comments interesting. In my mind, God knows everything. I wonder what you think! Do you think God knows everything? I am asking as honestly as a friend.
God doesn't know everything, that requires a mind and brain, God is everything, as you and I are also, but because of the mind body organism we call our self, we just simply cannot realize that, we need to go beyond the mind to realize this truth, this can be done in mediation, or sometimes it just arises within us, at a time when we are not in the mind, just like looking up at the stars, and we feel a connection, that's our true self winking at us.

God lover

God doesn't know everything, that requires a mind and brain, God is everything, as you and I are also, but because of the mind body organism we call our self, we just simply cannot realize that, we need to go beyond the mind to realize this truth, this can be done in mediation, or sometimes it just arises within us, at a time when we are not in the mind, just like looking up at the stars, and we feel a connection, that's our true self winking at us.
I am trying to understand what you are saying. The brain is one part of our conscience self, but there is another part of consciousness that we get to once we escape the "loud" brain/body experience.

Does that fit with your view? How would you edit or add to that?

I am enjoying your comments so far. Thank you

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I am trying to understand what you are saying. The brain is one part of our conscience self, but there is another part of consciousness that we get to once we escape the "loud" brain/body experience.

Does that fit with your view? How would you edit or add to that?

I am enjoying your comments so far. Thank you
Yes the brain is part of or self conscious, but that is like a drop in the ocean compared to our true divine Consciousness, our small self conscious is of the mind only, the experience of our true Consciousness is known as Enlightenment, Jesus was an Enlightened being, and we all can be, after all we are already there, its only the mind that separate us from our true inner being.