• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a believer prays for a non-believer...what happens?

Deidre

If I don't believe that God exists, and someone prays for me...will God still bless me? (if he or it exists)

I've been wondering this lately. :cool:

People often 'pray' for me, or tell me that God loves me...but if I don't believe what they believe, what happens?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is a good question. May you remind me how prayer is supposed to work for believers?

Is it an attempt at requesting a favor or just plain attention from God?

In any case, whatever affects its effectiveness probably has nothing to do with anyone's beliefs. Unless we accept placebo effect as part of the results, that is.

Deidre

That is a good question. May you remind me how prayer is supposed to work for believers?

Is it an attempt at requesting a favor or just plain attention from God?

In any case, whatever affects its effectiveness probably has nothing to do with anyone's beliefs. Unless we accept placebo effect as part of the results, that is.

LOL placebo effect :D

When I was a Christian, I believed that ''god'' heard my prayers...even for non believers. My prayers were usually 'Lord, please help <insert name> to overcome his/her non beilef.'

I wonder if it worked. :eek:

Chakra

Premium Member
My religion doesn't believe in "praying" for others (whatever that means). For example, if you just pray for world peace but don't do anything to solve it, then that is severely criticized by my religion. But yes, God would bless you only if a highly devoted person like a saint blessed you.

Deidre

My religion doesn't believe in "praying" for others (whatever that means).
I think that most believers who pray for others do so for the right intentions, I'd like to think so anyway.

For example, if you just pray for world peace but don't do anything to solve it, then that is severely criticized by my religion.
I like that idea.

But yes, God would bless you only if a highly devoted person like a saint blessed you.
I imagine this is what a believer believes. I guess at the end of the day, if you believe, then you believe. If you don't then you wouldn't care if someone offers prayers for you or not. However, I do thank people for their prayers. I don't get offended. If it makes someone happy to pray for me or anyone, so be it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My religion doesn't believe in "praying" for others (whatever that means). For example, if you just pray for world peace but don't do anything to solve it, then that is severely criticized by my religion. But yes, God would bless you only if a highly devoted person like a saint blessed you.

One should pray and also do everything possible to accomplish that, that is the true spirit of praying.

Regards

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If I don't believe that God exists, and someone prays for me...will God still bless me? (if he or it exists)

People often 'pray' for me, or tell me that God loves me...but if I don't believe what they believe, what happens?
Obviously, I can't say for sure. Nobody can. I continually pray for my sister and her husband, though, who are both unbelievers. If I didn't believe it was going to do any good, I probably wouldn't do it. I should probably mention, though, that my prayers are more for their health, happiness and well-being than that they become believers. I definitely don't make a point of telling them I'm doing this, though, especially not my brother-in-law. We have a good relationship and I don't really want to do anything to change that.

Deidre

... might help the person saying the prayers.
I agree with this, and sometimes it can be comforting for a believer to pray for others.

Obviously, I can't say for sure. Nobody can. I continually pray for my sister and her husband, though, who are both unbelievers. If I didn't believe it was going to do any good, I probably wouldn't do it. I should probably mention, though, that my prayers are more for their health, happiness and well-being than that they become believers. I definitely don't make a point of telling them I'm doing this, though, especially not my brother-in-law. We have a good relationship and I don't really want to do anything to change that.

This is a nice way of looking at the whole thing.

Thanks everyone. I have been thinking about this for a while, even when I was a believer it crossed my mind...does the person I'm praying for need to believe? lol Hmmm.

In the Catholic faith at least, no one can repent for you, or be culpable for your sins. So, someone can pray for you, but each person is responsible for their own lot in life. (according to the RCC)

Chakra

Premium Member
I think that most believers who pray for others do so for the right intentions, I'd like to think so anyway.
Of course. I don't think there are theists out there who pray to God to kill Richard Dawkins, for example.

I like that idea.
I don't think that's a very special idea that my religion has. Any logical theist would accept that.

I imagine this is what a believer believes. I guess at the end of the day, if you believe, then you believe. If you don't then you wouldn't care if someone offers prayers for you or not. However, I do thank people for their prayers. I don't get offended. If it makes someone happy to pray for me or anyone, so be it.

Yes. I sincerely hope that atheists don't get angry when theists say that they pray for them. It's the intention that counts.

Btw, to clarify my post, I do pray for people when they are going through bad times. But I do keep in mind that God may not do what I ask him to do, because God has his own agenda and there are other factors (sometimes people deserve that they receive).

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

The same thing that happens when a believer prays for anyone or anything: nothing.

Deidre

Of course. I don't think there are theists out there who pray to God to kill Richard Dawkins, for example.

I don't think that's a very special idea that my religion has. Any logical theist would accept that.

Yes. I sincerely hope that atheists don't get angry when theists say that they pray for them. It's the intention that counts.

Btw, to clarify my post, I do pray for people when they are going through bad times. But I do keep in mind that God may not do what I ask him to do, because God has his own agenda and there are other factors (sometimes people deserve that they receive).
God has his own agenda, so why pray at all? Just asking the question.

The same thing that happens when a believer prays for anyone or anything: nothing.

It's one of those things...when good things 'happen' oh it must be God's hand in the works...if bad things happen...well, maybe we weren't praying hard enough, or our faith wasn't strong enough...or the 'bad' thing was how it should turn out. Or...free will was at play, etc.

Yes, I remember spinning all of these thoughts...sometimes at once. :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
LOL placebo effect :D

When I was a Christian, I believed that ''god'' heard my prayers...even for non believers. My prayers were usually 'Lord, please help <insert name> to overcome his/her non beilef.'

I wonder if it worked. :eek:
Not sure if it applies, but one way of overcoming things is by learning not to be afraid of their presence.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't understand that.

Deidre

God loves you and sends you His grace whether you love Him back or believe in Him or not.

And this, is what I used to also believe. I'm glad you posted this. I'm not looking for an answer that agrees with mine, now...but, just how everyone 'sees' it. Thanks, SF. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Technically, yes. God is independent from us. He can do what He wants. If Gods blessi s depended on our prayer, and belief, He is just a figment of our mind. Since abrahamic beliefs dont teach that, yeah, he can bless you.

Actually, you have presestination christians who were not believers until God called them to be with Him. If prayers didnt work on a non believer, arw they really saved?

Eh. I get that a lot too.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't know what most have as intentions. I know that many are ultimately seeking their own confort and personal convenience, though.

I wonder if praying isn't often mainly an effort towards convincing oneself of being allied to God.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
... might help the person saying the prayers.
Seems like prayer is likened to funerals.

The funeral is not for the deceiced.
It is for those who attend the funeral.
It is to give them a chance to say their last goodbyes, etc.

Seems to me prayer is likened to that.
That the one being prayed for is not the one that receives the benefits from the prayer, but the one doing the praying.

Deidre

Seems like prayer is likened to funerals.

The funeral is not for the deceiced.
It is for those who attend the funeral.
It is to give them a chance to say their last goodbyes, etc.

Seems to me prayer is likened to that.
That the one being prayed for is not the one that receives the benefits from the prayer, but the one doing the praying.

All of a sudden, I want to cry ...reading this. I didn't expect to read this. Thank you for your thoughts to it. :sunflower: