• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iceland Decriminalises Blasphemy - hooray!

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

I hope other countries will follow this lead and make strong, positive declarations in defense of secularism!

Iceland decriminalises blasphemy after Charlie Hebdo attack - Yahoo News

The very notion of "blasphemy" deserves nothing more than mockery and derision, and it certainly should be totally and universally defanged in any legal way.

Blasphemy falls in the same category as ridiculing and mocking emotions of people. I don't know what wisdom is, I would say that it should be part of social culture, not laws, whether or not people accept it. But certainly it should then also be allowed to not deal with blasphemers, to not have to be confronted with blasphemy. So blasphemy can be reason for being fired from a job, just as well as ridiculing people's emotions can be a reason to be fired.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Blasphemy falls in the same category as ridiculing and mocking emotions of people. I don't know what wisdom is, I would say that it should be part of social culture, not laws, whether or not people accept it. But certainly it should then also be allowed to not deal with blasphemers, to not have to be confronted with blasphemy. So blasphemy can be reason for being fired from a job, just as well as ridiculing people's emotions can be a reason to be fired.

You say that and yet you deny that Jesus is God manifested in flesh. You, Sir, are fired!

gsa

Then be prepared to be fired for being a Jesus-denying Muslim.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
One man's blasphemy is another man's sacred truth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
September 30 will be a much safer day in Iceland now.

There's a freshly minted frubal awaiting the first person to post why this is so.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not so, unless perhaps there are clear and serious consequences in other fields.

Edited to add: I do however wonder how much of a typical Muslim / Islamic mindset this opinion reflects. I suspect that it may indeed be fairly typical.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I hope other countries will follow this lead and make strong, positive declarations in defense of secularism!

Iceland decriminalises blasphemy after Charlie Hebdo attack - Yahoo News

The very notion of "blasphemy" deserves nothing more than mockery and derision, and it certainly should be totally and universally defanged in any legal way.

Hear, hear!

If the Gods are so insecure in themselves that they need to have their followers lynch the meanie-heads who call them names, what good are They to us? Thunor/Thor, the God of Manly Manness, still dressed as a woman in order to get back his hammer, though reluctantly. That alone demonstrates self-confidence that the monotheistic Gods, as I've seen them, could only dream of.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Strange. I swore Iceland never adopted a Blasphemy law. Or perhaps they were simply one of the last to do it. I can't quite remember. I just know that paganism held out in Iceland longer than it did in the Baltic(Lithuania remained nominally pagan until 13something).

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Ridiculing peoples' emotions in a workplace can be grounds for getting fired, but I don't think it's for the reasons you think. The reason is because it creates a rift between the workers, who are supposed to be a team. If they aren't working together efficiently because they hate each other, then the quality of the work will suffer. That can make the difference between negative and positive profits. So, getting fired for being a jerk has nothing to do with hurting peoples' feelings being wrong; its ultimately bad for business.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As long as it's recognised that the notion that 'blasphemy deserves nothing but mockery' also deserves mockery, I'm in favour of it.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Blasphemy laws, you say??

1507-Quotes-About-Words.jpg

Riverwolf

Premium Member
As long as it's recognised that the notion that 'blasphemy deserves nothing but mockery' also deserves mockery, I'm in favour of it.
All ideas are subject to mockery ;)

There's a story in Nordic Lore, called Lokasenna (or The Flyting of Loki) where Loki crashes a great feast where all the Gods are attending, and just slanders all of them one by one, even as they rise to each others' defenses, until Thor throws him out. He even slandered Odin, his very Blood Brother.

One way that I read this is that Loki, as a Trickster God, oversees comedy and parody. In his jests, he revealed aspects of the Gods that none of them were willing to admit to each other, even though everything he said was probably true, at least to some degree. That is, after all, one of the functions of comedy that's any good: revealing uncomfortable truths that nobody's willing to address in any other way. Comedy that's not challenging to someone is mediocre, and thus poor comedy.

But another way to read this is that Loki deserved to be thrown out; after all, he basically broke ALL the taboos of guest conduct. (Even killing guards in order to get in). Even if the things he said were partially true, it's likely that he was exaggerating and leaving out key details. He came in and just caused unnecessary trouble for everyone there for no other reason than to troll. Trolling isn't necessary challenging of the status quo; it's just being a jerk for its own sake.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So I guess the ultimate lesson is that we should question tradition and authority, but brace ourselves for consequences that may well be not of our liking?

Sounds wise to me.