• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to know

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Colossians 1:17
He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:17

The Word is before all things. Are there people who would say the Bible is before all things?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Philippians 2:6
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage Philippians 2:6

Jesus the man did not consider himself equal to God, but people make The Bible equal to God. This is not right.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How is it possible that the Bible is perfect but there are different versions of it?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
why they call the Bible God's Word?

Jesus is God's Word. I know for certain that Jesus is not the Bible.

John 1:1
When John (or whomever you think wrote the Gospel) wrote this, there was no Bible. There were scrolls as part of the Torah, etc. but no Bible. Maybe you should try thinking of this in that context.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When John (or whomever you think wrote the Gospel) wrote this, there was no Bible. There were scrolls as part of the Torah, etc. but no Bible. Maybe you should try thinking of this in that context.
They say all scripture is inspired of God means the Bible canon. THEY call the Bible "God's Word". I say Jesus is the Word of God. I do not know what you mean. I understand that when "all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial" was written the writer meant the Torah ect because the Bible canon did not exist then.

They obey the written word called the Bible like it is God. That is what I want to debate.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus is not the Bible. The Bible can help a person discern right from wrong. The Spirit of God, which is not The Bible, can help a person to choose right. But the Bible, it being written, translated, copied and explained by humankind isn't perfect like God's Spirit is perfect. Just like the Bible can help a person to know God, God's Spirit can help a person know the Bible as it was intended to know.

Why not?

Someone on the forum once said that we should go with the majority. If the majority says God's kingdom is for destroying kingdoms, then that is what it is just because most people say so. But in certain places human sacrifice was well and good according to the majority. Slavery was declared righteous by the majority all over the world in the past. Smoking was considered cool by the majority not so long ago. I disagree that something is right only because most people say so.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I want to know is why and how do they make the Bible equal to God? I realize Jesus taught us to obey God in everything. They teach that it is righteous to obey the Bible in everything. THE BIBLE IS NOT GOD.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
why they call the Bible God's Word?

Jesus is God's Word. I know for certain that Jesus is not the Bible.

John 1:1

My two cents worth (or was it four). I think its a language thang. Jesus' words are in the Bible. So, believers associate the Bible with Jesus. (Reminds me of associating the bread/wine with Jesus *cough cough* I didnt say that). I feel its inaccurate to call the Bible the Word. I understand why, since it holds the words of Christ and hence His Father's. It contains His words not Him.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Do you know that asking questions is prohibited in Christianity and Islam. Just follow the word.
If that was true...I wouldn't be a Christian. Have asked questions all my life....I don't rest until I have answers. They have to come from God's word.

Last edited:

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
My two cents worth (or was it four). I think its a language thang. Jesus' words are in the Bible. So, believers associate the Bible with Jesus. (Reminds me of associating the bread/wine with Jesus *cough cough* I didnt say that). I feel its inaccurate to call the Bible the Word. I understand why, since it holds the words of Christ and hence His Father's. It contains His words not Him.

Actually the Word is Logos. It means the words of God and it relates to Jesus as God's spokesman...the one who speaks God's words.

1 Thessalonians 2:13...."For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word (logos) of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word (logos) of men, but for what it really is, the word (logos) of God, which also performs its work in you who believe."

1 Cor 2:4...."and my speech and what I preached were not with persuasive words (logos) of wisdom but with a demonstration of spirit and power".

So it is very much a case of the "word" (logos) being the spoken word which can be heard from either God or men.
The word can be in both written and spoken form.

The Bible is scripture which is "inspired of God" or "God breathed" (2 Tim 3:16, 17)....any way you look at it....the word of God, whether written or spoken, is the product of his holy spirit.

So you are right....it is a language thang.......It's all in the Greek. :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think anyone really does believe that The Bible is better or as good as God. At least, no one I ever knew did (who was a Christian, that is).
People on the forum are arguing that everything in it is to be trusted. Everything about God is to be trusted imho. That is the same.