• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't like bosses (in video games)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I hate boss fights in video games

To me they spoil video games and I find them tedious

It's not very realistic either as you don't get bosses in real life

In the 90s I could never get past the first boss in Descent, who appears at the end of Level 7

That boss seriously traumatised me, I still have nightmares about it, it was located in a huge room full of lava and made an ominous ticking noise

I understand that people get satisfaction from beating bosses but personally I'd rather them not be a thing

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. Defeating the boss is always some mysterious dance that requires knowing the dance steps. Its not like a battle. Instead you just die fifty times to learn all the dance steps.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have more of a problem with bosses in some games than I do with others. Some are just over-the-top difficult to defeat. Dark Souls comes to mind.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In the 90s I could never get past the first boss in Descent, who appears at the end of Level 7

That boss seriously traumatised me, I still have nightmares about it, it was located in a huge room full of lava and made an ominous ticking noise

I understand that people get satisfaction from beating bosses but personally I'd rather them not be a thing
I agree and I know people like a good challenge to get through the level and the weird part is some bosses actually become regular enemies later on as the game progresses in some titles.

To put even more salt into an open wound, I particularly hate bosses that have a timer on it , which makes me wonder what I hate worse, bosses or timers.

vulcanlogician

I disagree.

I mean, bosses can be done poorly in video games... and THEN they suck.

But as a general concept in video games, they enhance the experience. They are the final hurdle after completing a level/dungeon, and (again, when done properly) defeating them creates a sense of satisfaction.

Something all video games want to avoid is a sense of repetitiveness. Things like puzzles and bosses do much to break up that monotony. If you fight a bunch of normal enemies through a dungeon or level do you just want to keep repeating that experience over and over?

There is an art to fighting bosses. Pattern recognition, patience, and trial and error. The God of War series (the original trilogy) had some of the best boss fights ever. And after playing through all three games on the hardest difficulty I learned a lot about how to approach video game bosses generally.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Games are good when they are challenging. Bosses provide the challenge. But obviously everybody has different tastes. And that is ok.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
agree and I know people like a good challenge to get through the level and the weird part is some bosses actually become regular enemies later on as the game progresses in some titles
I always liked that, especially when the main boss is way harder.
But I miss when games were hard.
To put even more salt into an open wound, I particularly hate bosses that have a timer on it , which makes me wonder what I hate worse, bosses or timers.
I really hate that. Timers are definitely worse. I hate winning a fight only to end up losing because games think you have to hit hard as the only viable strategy.