• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Declare Myself A Mazda-Worshipper (Mazdayasnian)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So I now feel settled in my faith and I think it's the right time for me to make my public confession of the Mazdayasnian (Zoroastrian) Creed. I realise it does not come from the Sacred Gathas but I have decided to incorporate some non-Gathic elements into my faith from the more ancient, albeit post-Gathic, sources. It is supposed to be given publicly so I am doing this in the Zoroastrian DIR.

Ushta ve,

I curse the Daevas.

I declare myself a Mazda-worshipper, a supporter of Zarathushtra, hostile to the Daevas, fond of Ahura's teaching, a praiser of the Amesha Spentas, a worshipper of the Amesha Spentas. I ascribe all good to Ahura Mazda, 'and all the best,' the Asha-owning one, splendid, xwarena-owning, whose is the cow, whose is Asha, whose is the light, 'may whose blissful areas be filled with light'. I choose the good Spenta Armaiti (Holy Spirit) for myself; let her be mine. I renounce the theft and robbery of the cow, and the damaging and plundering of the Mazdayasnian settlements.

I want freedom of movement and freedom of dwelling for those with homesteads, to those who dwell upon this earth with their cattle. With reverence for Asha, and (offerings) offered up, I vow this: I shall nevermore damage or plunder the Mazdayasnian settlements, even if I have to risk life and limb.

I reject the authority of the Daevas, the wicked, no-good, lawless, evil-knowing, the most druj-like of beings, the foulest of beings, the most damaging of beings. I reject the Daevas and their comrades, I reject the demons (yatu) and their comrades; I reject any who harm beings. I reject them with my thoughts, words, and deeds. I reject them publicly. Even as I reject the head (authorities), so too do I reject the hostile followers of the druj.

As Ahura Mazda taught Zarathushtra at all discussions, at all meetings, at which Mazda and Zarathushtra conversed -- even as Zarathushtra rejected the authority of the Daevas, so I also reject, as Mazda-worshipper and supporter of Zarathushtra, the authority of the Daevas, even as he, the Asha-owning Zarathushtra, has rejected them.

As the belief of the waters, the belief of the plants, the belief of the well-made (Original) Cow; as the belief of Ahura Mazda who created the cow and the Asha-owning Man; as the belief of Zarathushtra, the belief of Kavi Vishtaspa, the belief of both Frashaostra and Jamaspa; as the belief of each of the Saoshyants (saviours) -- fulfilling destiny and Asha-owning -- so I am a Mazda-worshipper of this belief and teaching.

I profess myself a Mazda-worshipper, a Zoroastrian, having vowed it and professed it. I pledge myself to the well-thought thought, I pledge myself to the well-spoken word, I pledge myself to the well-done action.

I pledge myself to the Mazdayasnian religion, which causes the attack to be put off and weapons put down; which upholds khvaetvadatha (kin-marriage), which possesses Asha; which of all religions that exist or shall be, is the greatest, the best, and the most beautiful: Ahuric, Zoroastrian. I ascribe all good to Ahura Mazda.

This is the creed of the Mazdayasnian religion.

upload_2016-5-26_16-32-46.jpeg

Last edited:

Nyiix

Am happy that you found a belief (or that it found you) that fits you perfectly Riv ^^

Best wishes to you :3

(P.S. stop sending us rain via The Channel please :/)

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I was not aware you were not settled in your faith. Glad ya made it Rival!

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
So I now feel settled in my faith and I think it's the right time for me to make my public confession of the Mazdayasnian (Zoroastrian) Creed. I realise it does not come from the Sacred Gathas but I have decided to incorporate some non-Gathic elements into my faith from the more ancient, albeit post-Gathic, sources. It is supposed to be given publicly so I am doing this in the Zoroastrian DIR.

Ushta ve,

I curse the Daevas.

I declare myself a Mazda-worshipper, a supporter of Zarathushtra, hostile to the Daevas, fond of Ahura's teaching, a praiser of the Amesha Spentas, a worshipper of the Amesha Spentas. I ascribe all good to Ahura Mazda, 'and all the best,' the Asha-owning one, splendid, xwarena-owning, whose is the cow, whose is Asha, whose is the light, 'may whose blissful areas be filled with light'. I choose the good Spenta Armaiti (Holy Spirit) for myself; let her be mine. I renounce the theft and robbery of the cow, and the damaging and plundering of the Mazdayasnian settlements.

I want freedom of movement and freedom of dwelling for those with homesteads, to those who dwell upon this earth with their cattle. With reverence for Asha, and (offerings) offered up, I vow this: I shall nevermore damage or plunder the Mazdayasnian settlements, even if I have to risk life and limb.

I reject the authority of the Daevas, the wicked, no-good, lawless, evil-knowing, the most druj-like of beings, the foulest of beings, the most damaging of beings. I reject the Daevas and their comrades, I reject the demons (yatu) and their comrades; I reject any who harm beings. I reject them with my thoughts, words, and deeds. I reject them publicly. Even as I reject the head (authorities), so too do I reject the hostile followers of the druj.

As Ahura Mazda taught Zarathushtra at all discussions, at all meetings, at which Mazda and Zarathushtra conversed -- even as Zarathushtra rejected the authority of the Daevas, so I also reject, as Mazda-worshipper and supporter of Zarathushtra, the authority of the Daevas, even as he, the Asha-owning Zarathushtra, has rejected them.

As the belief of the waters, the belief of the plants, the belief of the well-made (Original) Cow; as the belief of Ahura Mazda who created the cow and the Asha-owning Man; as the belief of Zarathushtra, the belief of Kavi Vishtaspa, the belief of both Frashaostra and Jamaspa; as the belief of each of the Saoshyants (saviours) -- fulfilling destiny and Asha-owning -- so I am a Mazda-worshipper of this belief and teaching.

I profess myself a Mazda-worshipper, a Zoroastrian, having vowed it and professed it. I pledge myself to the well-thought thought, I pledge myself to the well-spoken word, I pledge myself to the well-done action.

I pledge myself to the Mazdayasnian religion, which causes the attack to be put off and weapons put down; which upholds khvaetvadatha (kin-marriage), which possesses Asha; which of all religions that exist or shall be, is the greatest, the best, and the most beautiful: Ahuric, Zoroastrian. I ascribe all good to Ahura Mazda.

This is the creed of the Mazdayasnian religion.

View attachment 13181

That's beautiful. A well written decree: Good Words proceeding from Good Thought indeed! May Ahura Mazda ever keep you in his graces, good buddy. :)

I also like the strategically placed picture of Zoroaster pointing upwards as if he's saying "Scroll up for a good read"! :D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi @wizanda I can see your question, but could you please explain more what you mean in my "Ask us about Zoroastrianism" thread? :)

Raahim

مكتوب
Another one with the ticket to jahannam. :(

Glad to see you found what suits you. :D

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
My dear, Rival, may you be immensely blessed on your way back to the Supreme Lord, my Mazdayasnian sister!

atanu

Premium Member
A Hindu liked that post. Ironic :D

Another one liked it just now.

As the belief of the waters, the belief of the plants, the belief of the well-made (Original) Cow; as the belief of Ahura Mazda who created the cow and the Asha-owning Man;

Now. Now. What is that original cow? Enlighten please.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Another one liked it just now.

As the belief of the waters, the belief of the plants, the belief of the well-made (Original) Cow; as the belief of Ahura Mazda who created the cow and the Asha-owning Man;

I have had some trouble with this also. On first reading it appears to be indicative of animals/nature in general, following from 'waters', 'plants' and after cow we come to man. It seems to be going in order from the more primordial to the least, somewhat like how Yahweh creates first the plants, then animals, then mankind, only this isn't a creation story in that sort of sense.

I found this too, which seems interessant:

"One of the most important figures in the Gathas is that of the _geush urvan_ or "Soul of the Cow." This is an excellent example of how Zarathushtra portrays the presence of God in the material world. Western scholars have debated the meaning of the "Soul of the Cow" for more than a century; is Zarathushtra talking about real cattle and their welfare, or is he talking about a mythically exalted Sacred Cow such as is featured in the poetry and devotion of Hinduism (which sprang from the same primordial Indo-Iranian civilization as Zoroastrianism) - or is the Prophet referring to the Cow as a symbol of the whole living world? The answer is: All of the above. Zarathushtra is a master of multiple meanings layered on one simple word or phrase. To limit the Cow Soul to an animal or an abstract symbol is to miss the point. All of the meanings point to the presence of God: in the animal, in the symbol, and in the whole living world."

"But the philosophical world of Zarathushtra, and of all his Zoroastrian successors, is a world where the spiritual and material are not separate, but participate in a single wholeness. In this world- view not only does the material symbolize the spiritual, but it is CONNECTED to it in ways that cannot be systematized or rationally proven. Light, Sun, and God; Cow and World; Fire and Righteousness - all these things are organically connected, and if you encounter one, you have mystically encountered its correspondent as well. This world-view is at the very foundation of Zoroastrian thinking, as well as its prayer and ritual."

http://www.pyracantha.com/Z/mysticz4.html

As well, Zarathustra rallied strongly against the cattle-stealers and the nomads who disrupted the settled people's cattle. This could also have something to do with that.

Some random from Wiki:

"The term geush urva means "the spirit of the cow" and is interpreted as the soul of the earth. In the Ahunavaiti Gatha, Zarathustra (or Zoroaster) accuses some of his co-religionists of abusing the cow.[19] Ahura Mazda tells Zarathustra to protect the cow.[19]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion#Zoroastrianism

:)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A Hindu liked that post. Ironic :D
Many did (I did not). We are happy that you found your path (cursing daevas is very much Abrahamic). Hindus don't curse anyone. Krishna said:

"Shreyān sva-dharmo viguṇaḥ, para-dharmāt sv-anuṣṭhitāt;
sva-dharme nidhanaḿ śreyaḥ, para-dharmo bhayāvahaḥ."

It is far better to discharge one's duties, even though faultily, than another's duties perfectly. Destruction in the course of performing one's own duty is better than engaging in another's duties, for to follow another's path is dangerous.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Vedas and in Greek mythology. cow generally is the representation of Sun (also rays of the sun), Vritra hiding the cows and Indra rescuing them, Heracles rescuing the cows hidden by Titans. These relate to the long Arctic nights when the sun was in the Netherworld. Even in Zoroastrianism, the idea is present. I quote a small excerpt from my favorite book, 'Arctic Home in Vedas' by BG Tilak (page 250 onwards):

"Now we can also understand the part played by parvatas, or mountains, in the legend. It was the mountain Albûrz, or Hara Berezaiti; and as Vṛitra, by stretching his body across, closed all the apertures in his mountainous range, through which the sun and the waters came up, Indra had to uncover or open these passages by killing Vṛitra. Thus the Bundahish (V, 5) mentions 180 apertures in the east and 180 in the west through Albûrz; and the sun is said to come and go through them every day, and all the movements of the moon, the constellations and the planets are also said to be closely connected with these apertures. The same idea is also expressed in the later Sanskrit literature when the sun is said to rise above the mountain in the east and set below the mountain in the west. The mountain on which Indra is said to have found Shambara (II, 12, 11), and the rock of Vala wherein the cows were said to have been imprisoned by the demon (IV, 3, 11; I, 71, 2) and which was burst open by Angirases, also represent the same mountainous range, which separated the upper from the lower celestial hemisphere, or the bright from the dark ocean.

This explanation of the Vṛitra legend may sound strange to many scholars, but it should be borne in mind that the co-relation between the flow of water and the rising of the dawn and the sun, here described, is not speculative. If the Vedic works do not express it in unambiguous terms, the deficiency is fully made up by the Parsi scriptures. Thus in Khorshed Yasht (VI, 2 and 3,) we are told that “When the sun rises up, then the earth becomes clean, the running waters become clean.... Should the sun not rise up, then the Daevas would destroy all the things that are in the seven Karshvares.” The passages in the Farvardin Yasht are still more explicit. This Yasht is devoted to the praise of the Fravashis*, which correspond to the Pitṛis of the Rig-Veda."

* Aup. says: This is not exactly what Zoroastrians believe, but OK. And it is Azi Dahak, the serpent which closes the apertures. "The Avesta identifies the person who finally disposed of Aži Dahāka as Thraētaona, who in Middle Persian called Fereydun." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahhak

Tilak's book is available at https://archive.org/details/TheArcticHomeInTheVedas in PDF format if anybody would like to read it. Chapter XI is named "The Avestic Evidence" which also is interesting.

Last edited: