• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Humans are born as atheists"

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Agnosticism is based on a positive claim, so babies aren't agnostic.

The atheism of babies doesn't really matter in and of itself; it's just an implication when we use a reasonable definition for "atheist" that works for adults.

If something works of adults, it cannot be logically extended to non adults. There is no guarantee, that it works for them, too.

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If something works of adults, it cannot be logically extended to non adults. There is no guarantee, that it works for them, too.
Any time someone who told me that babies aren't atheists has explained to me what they think "atheist" means, their definition has devolved into absurdity very quickly. If you've solved the problems that all those other people have had, please share how you define the term.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
And children tend to be a-metaphysical, as well. They do not have any clue of what we are talking about. Yet.
I don't think it makes a lot of sense saying "Kids lack belief in God, and are therefore atheists, or agnostics, or whatever". It is also counter-productive. Small kids think nobody can see them if they only hide their face.
Therefore, so-called default positions, are not necessarily reliable.
Ciao
- viole
Wonderful!
Regards

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Wonderful!
Regards

The real question is whether humans are born with a default atheistic position. I don't think they are. I believe a set of children growing up in complete isolation, will develop a religious belief, with high probability.

I think beliefs in imaginary agents are a natural adaptation. We developed a religious brain for natural reasons, so to speak.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Any time someone who told me that babies aren't atheists has explained to me what they think "atheist" means, their definition has devolved into absurdity very quickly. If you've solved the problems that all those other people have had, please share how you define the term.
"Atheist" is "atheism" with the form of the suffix changed to refer to the agent noun of its associated "ism." The significant question in defining the atheist is "What is atheism?" The "-ist" is simply a person who does the "-ism."

https://sarathorneenglishlanguage.com/2013/05/31/ism-and-ist-helpful-suffixes/

atanu

Premium Member
The atheism of babies doesn't really matter in and of itself; it's just an implication when we use a reasonable definition for "atheist" that works for adults.

The atheism of babies doesn't really matter in and of itself; it's just an implication when we use an un-reasonable definition for "atheist" that does not even work for adults.:D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The atheism of babies doesn't really matter in and of itself; it's just an implication when we use an un-reasonable definition for "atheist" that does not even work for adults.:D
I define atheism in terms of lack of belief. Please tell me why this is unreasonable and why it doesn't work for adults.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For human mind there is never a lack of belief. A notion of a 'lack of belief' is a belief.
:facepalm:

I'm not sure if you've utterly failed to understand what I'm saying or if you're being obtuse on purpose.

When I say that atheism is based on lack of belief, this does not mean that an atheist has no beliefs; it just means that of all the beliefs that the person holds, none of them are belief in a god, and this fact implies that he is an atheist.

Adult atheists, like all adults, hold beliefs about all sorts of things.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am not being obtuse. I am calling the above position unreasonable.

I have argued elsewhere that a statement "I lack belief in love", indicates a presence of knowledge of what love is.
So you really don't understand what I'm saying? Hmm.

Let me try to express what I'm getting at another way: anyone who believes in at least one god is a theist; anyone else is an atheist.

The category "atheist" includes people with all sorts of views: some are unsure about the existence of gods. Some are utterly convinced that no gods exist. Some don't think that the term "god" is meaningful. They're all atheists.

Again: when I say that the term "atheist" is defined in terms of lack of belief, this does not mean that I'm saying that atheists have no beliefs about gods whatsoever.

atanu

Premium Member
So you really don't understand what I'm saying? Hmm.
:)

I understand that you (and many others) rationalise your particular belief as 'lack of belief'.

When I say I have a 'lack of belief of X' it implies that I possess knowledge of X.

Which is un-reasonable. Suppose you say "I lack belief that there is a computer in the house', you know what a computer is. But, I do not think that you know about God.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
atanu: 4707290 said:
:)

I understand that you (and many others) rationalise your particular belief as 'lack of belief'.

When I say I have a 'lack of belief of X' it implies that I possess knowledge of X.

Which is in-reasonable. Suppose you say "I lack belief that there is a computer in the house', you know what a computer is. But, I do not think that you know about God.
Please, for the sake of effective communication, go back and actually READ my post before you hit the quote button. I'm only willing to put up with so much of you arguing against positions I haven't taken before I'll just give up on trying to explain things to you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I define atheism in terms of lack of belief. Please tell me why this is unreasonable and why it doesn't work for adults.
To me, it seems as if you'd have to have some kind of knowledge of what it was you lacked a belief in, in order for a lack of belief to really be very meaningful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To me, it seems as if you'd have to have some kind of knowledge of what it was you lacked a belief in, in order for a lack of belief to really be very meaningful.
Depends on the context, but generally... sure: the fact that babies aren't born believing in gods doesn't really matter for much.

... but I find the way that people make this point about atheism - and generally *only* atheism - interesting. After all, when talking about, say, civilians affected by a war, we can include the babies without anyone questioning whether we should be calling someone a "civilian" if they've never even thought about joining the military.