• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to get to Mars

Laika

Premium Member
Elon Musk explains how Space X plans to establish a permanent human presence on Mars. The video below is interesting as an attempt to turn Interplanetary travel into an economic question of "can we afford it?"

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/27/elon-musk-spacex-mars-colony

The full presentation is avaliable on Youtube but I thought the highlights may be more appropriate. Link here if you want to see it:

(Insert @Queztal tag here :D )

Any thoughts fellow Earthlings?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
So, this is really exciting for a large list of reasons. First, we have someone who has the infrastructure that is outside of a government organization that is capable of accomplishing something like this. Unlike previous NASA manned space missions, SpaceX does not have to deal with funding linked to politics. No one can look at this and say "I don't want my tax dollars funding this foolish escapade" because none of their money is involved. This is a very large advantage that SpaceX has. Second, they have already demonstrated re-usability that pushes them further ahead of the curve regarding the R&D necessary to make this a reality. This is one of the more challenging concepts that needed to be taken care of first. Finally, this will spur competition. A few weeks ago, Blue Origin revealed their reusable space craft, the New Glenn, which seeks to enter the already crowded Aerospace Industry in regards to the delivery of payloads. I am hopeful this competition between non-government agencies/companies will expedite the process.

With all of this in mind, it is also very important to have realistic standards in regards to this project. Recent setbacks with SpaceX illustrate that this is very difficult. Imagine that if instead of a Amos satellite there were 100 people on board. These risks need to be evaluated and tested. In short, SpaceX is going to fail tests, lose rockets and, possibly, lose lives in this endeavor. That needs to be okay. If we had cancelled the Apollo program after the disaster of Apollo 1, we would have never made it to the moon. These risks are inevitable but absolutely necessary in order for us to make progress. I hope that the public maintains that courage as we move forward because this is an opportunity. I am hopeful.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Should I make another entirely predictable post about economics, risk, scheduling & untrustworthy little waddling gray aliens?
Nah!
WHAT?! You take that back! PS: The 10 dollar check you sent me bounced. I left messages but I don't think you have gotten them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
WHAT?! You take that back! PS: The 10 dollar check you sent me bounced. I left messages but I don't think you have gotten them.
I've been having an issue with me bank honoring me checks.
(I don't have an account there yet.)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Wouldn't be nice if nations would spend that space program money on uniting us earthlings first?

Quetzal

Premium Member
Wouldn't be nice if nations would spend that space program money on uniting us earthlings first?
It would, but lets not forget, the money involved in this project is not funded by the government.

jeager106

Premium Member
I didn't know that.
Thanks.
Then it's private money funding the project?
Expensive I bet.

jeager106

Premium Member
Should I make another entirely predictable post about economics, risk, scheduling & untrustworthy little waddling gray aliens?
Nah!

I doubt our present technology is up to the task just yet.
But the Wright boys had to start someplace.
From a flimsy powered kite to jet aircraft in just 4 or 5 decades.
A physics book written in the early 1940's proclaimed the sound barrier could
not be broken.
Chuck Yeager blew that out of the sky.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I didn't know that.
Thanks.
Then it's private money funding the project?
Expensive I bet.
Oh yeah, big bucks no matter who is behind it. If you are interested, take a look at the full talk (or skip to the bits you might enjoy). Musk goes into a bit more detail about the pricing model. His prediction is ~200,000 smackers a piece to get a ride to Mars.

jeager106

Premium Member
Yes, why is it a waste of money.
After all the Martians eat Liberals and pee gasoline.:facepalm::facepalm:

jeager106

Premium Member
Stalin said "when I come back no more mister nice guy".

Biographers say Stalin was indeed quite mentally ill.
I do think he was assassinated by poisoning but who knows?

Quetzal

Premium Member
Since the topic has come up (and it almost always does when these discussions emerge), I suppose we should address the investment of space exploration and why it makes sense. In regards to SpaceX specifically, they are a profitable company on their own merit. To reiterate, the only way tax dollars are spent on a mission like this is if the government becomes a customer. Which is probable if SpaceX is successful. With that in mind, it is foolish to say "Well this is a waste" without any real claim to support it because you don't have a horse in the race.

Now, to open up the discussion up a bit and expand to the age old question: is this kind of investment worth it? This is a flawed perspective because it is very difficult to put a dollar amount on innovations related to this. You cannot put a dollar amount on the Moon landing. Who knows how many kids were inspired from that and went on to do wonderful work. There were also many side products to the R&D to such missions that we all benefit from. Your cell phone? A product of space exploration. Want a few more examples? Here you go:

• Aircraft collision-avoidance systems
  • Cordless power tools
  • Corrosion resistant coatings for bridges
  • Digital imaging
  • Ear thermometers
  • GPS (global positioning satellites)
  • Household water filters
  • Hydroponic plant-growing systems
  • Implantable pacemakers
  • Infrared handheld cameras
  • Kidney dialysis machines
  • LASIK corrective eye surgery
  • Memory foam mattresses
  • Scratch-resistant sunglasses
  • Safety grooving on pavement
  • Shoe insoles
  • Virtual reality
  • Weather forecasting

All of these things came about due to investment in space exploration. Now, imagine if we are successful in establishing a colony on Mars. There is a long list of possible benefits associated with it.

• Technological innovations brought through solving problems on Mars
  • Possible mineral resources found on Mars
  • Investment of real estate on another planet
  • Expand understanding and offer outlet for possible terraforming missions
  • Creation of a way station for the mining of asteroids
  • Information regarding life's origin and other biological sciences

The list goes on and on. Any of these ideas can spawn into a multi-billion dollar industry and can lead to unprecedented advances in ways we can't see yet. It is for this reason, and many more, that I will always advocate for Mars.

jeager106

Premium Member
Methinks he was nuts to begin with.
I've read this:
Stalin had an acute case of paranoia, but he was not insane. Near the end of his life he suspected virtually everyone, , even his closest aides, of being a potential assassin.
I thought acute paranoia was a mental illness.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Let me ask you. Is it even feasible we could "establish a permanent human presence on Mars." So far, except for pie-in-the-sky optimism, I've seen nothing of a concrete nature that suggests such an endeavor has a chance to succeed. AND, what will be the payback? What will we gain by this enterprise?

Quetzal

Premium Member
Is it even feasible we could "establish a permanent human presence on Mars."
Yes.

So far, except for pie-in-the-sky optimism, I've seen nothing of a concrete nature that suggests such an endeavor has a chance to succeed.
Of course you haven't because what you are looking for is a guarantee. This isn't a used car lot, it is space and planetary exploration. There are going to be problems, there are going to be set backs. But Musk is not alone in the belief that this can be done. It will just take time, patience, and a pinch of imagination.

AND, what will be the payback? What will we gain by this enterprise?
I have outlined it in a post above.

jeager106

Premium Member
One wonders why humans would establish a presence on Mars.
Mining resources?
Maybe but mining gold might cost more than even gold is worth.
What might Mars offer for the tremendous expense to establish a colony?
I don't have clue.
Terraform?
Expensive and takes a long time if even possible.
The earth is in the Goldilocks zone fit for human habitation.
Travel to another star systems with an earth type planet?
Far out of reach now and in the near future.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Mining resources?
Maybe but mining gold might cost more than even gold is worth.
There are resources much more valuable than gold.

Terraform?
Expensive and takes a long time if even possible.
You can't possibly put a price tag on something like that, though. We could actively create planets.

Travel to another star systems with an earth type planet?
Far out of reach now and in the near future.
Well, in order for something like that even be possible, we gotta start somewhere. Mars offers a nice trial run. :)