• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does One Become an Anglican

lombas

Society of Brethren
Interesting question. I would like to add: what's with all the English?

I know a Dutch vicar, but I don't know how strong the Anglican Church is outside the Anglosaxon world.

Still, I find it very interesting, because it's catholicism without a pope and with women.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Church of England and the Episcopalian are both part of the Anglican Communion.
Anglican and the name of any of the churches are interchangeable.
In effect they are two branches of the same church.

You simply start attending one of our churches.
If you have not been baptised in the trinity, you would need to do so to take Communion.

The church is world wide.... here are a list of those in the Anglican Communion
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19306

spiritually inclined

Is there no period of learning or instruction as there is in the Catholic church before one is baptized, confirmed, and then takes communion?

James

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is there no period of learning or instruction as there is in the Catholic church before one is baptized, confirmed, and then takes communion?

James

For an adult who needs to be Baptised and wishes to be confirmed.
The two are usually done on the same day .
There is a short learning period; here they either join in the young persons confirmation class if there are one or two older people going forward. If not the priest will usually Give or arrange some private instruction. This can be a quite short period, especially if it is private instruction. Basically you learn the catechism and the meaning of the Eucharist.
This is an excellent thread on the Catechism by Lunamoth
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39416

You can of course Just be baptised by your local priest. either during a normal service, or a private family service.

Confirmation is always done by a Bishop and usually only once a year.
Some times several Churches join together and share a confirmation service, especially if the numbers coming forward are quite small.

So you see there are a number of possible variations it is always best to talk things over with your local priest, who would advise on the best way forward.

Only Me

How can I become an Anglican?

I'm Church of England, and to become officialy part of the Church, I was baptised, then went to a Confirmation service that was led by the Bishop of Durham (where I live). Basically, he puts his hands on your head which represents/shows the Holy Spirit flowing out through him, and into me.

trinity2359

To become an Episcopalian, ask to speak to the Rector or priest of the congregation you wish to be a part of. If you have not been baptized in a recognized trinitarian formula, you can be baptized as an adult. I meet with the priest one-on-one for a few sessions as I was prepared to be baptized at the customary Easter Vigil (Sat before Easter Sunday) since I was the only adult baptism. You can then receive first communion during that service. For confirmation years later, I attended a formal class over a few months to be confirmed, again, at the Easter Vigil, but that was coincidence since the confirmations are done during the Bishop's periodic visits. Hope that helps.

Smoke

Done here.
It depends on where you're coming from. If you are (or have been) Catholic, you can start taking Communion immediately, and you won't need to be re-baptized or re-confirmed. To actually be a member of the church, you may or may not have to go through a period of instruction, depending on the bishop and the parish.

Although the Catholic Church doesn't recognize Anglican orders, Anglicans/Episcopalians do recognize Catholic orders.

When I joined the Episcopal Church in the USA, I didn't have to be baptized, but I did have to be confirmed, since my previous confirmation in the Methodist Church wasn't recognized. The Methodist episcopate originated with bishops appointed by John Wesley (who was an Anglican priest, but not a bishop), so nobody outside the Methodist movement recognizes Methodist bishops as having apostolic succession. In the Western view, any Christian may baptize in a pinch, but only a bishop may confirm.

If you have never been baptized, or if your baptism is unacceptable for some reason, you'd have to be baptized. An acceptable baptism as far as the Anglicans are concerned is one that has been performed with water in the name of the Holy Trinity. There are sects that baptize "in the name of Jesus" or using some other formula; that's not acceptable. Most priests would probably also require baptism if you've been baptized in a non-Trinitarian church, even if that church baptizes "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

Generally speaking, the amount of instruction you'd have to undergo would be up to the priest, but your confirmation will have to wait till it can be arranged with the bishop. Most bishops will confirm whatever candidates are presented to them by the priest.

Smoke

Done here.
What time of the year does Confirmation occur? Is it around Lent?
It's not any particular time of year, and the bishop usually does a number of confirmations every year. I'm not sure (it was a long time ago), but I think I was confirmed in September. In my case, I was confirmed at a parish other than the one I attended; the bishop had scheduled a confirmation there, and priests from several other parishes brought their candidates to that one.

Mindful

How can I become an Anglican should I ever decide to make that decision?

James

If you wish to become an Anglican you should first go and worship with Anglicans. Then you should inquire as to the type of Anglican church you are in. Unfortunately, the church is pretty much split by the Episcopal Church (TEC) which is partly conservative and largely ultra liberal. You may find it difficult to find a conservative Episcopal Church where gays do not become priests (and even bishops), and where priests do not perform same sex marriages. There are many breakaway parrishes often using the Anglican name and these parrishes are often conservative. You should ask yourself what is it that you want. For God's sake I hope you find it. Love and peace from a God-fearing conservative Anglican

southdetroit

I was raised Catholic and became Episcopalian once I flew the home nest. I didn't do anything too special. I did a ceremony to reaffirm my baptismal vows, but that was a personal choice.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There are very many churches in the Anglican communion and an ever larger number of Anglican churches that are not....
They are spread throughout the World. And do not necessarily have either the word Anglican or Episcopalian in their title... e.g. Church of Ireland.
The lists I have given give an outline of their formation/relationship.

Churches in the Anglican Communion
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...19306-member-churches-anglican-communion.html

Churches NOT in the Anglican Communion
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/episcopal-anglicans/19332-anglican-churches-not-communion.html

Antiochian

Rationalist
With regard to the Episcopal Church USA, aren't there various ways of counting members? It's my understanding one can be an Anglican without officially being received into the church. Someone may be Methodist, for instance, and regularly attend an Anglican parish and receive communion. It's my understanding that they are considered members as much as received and confirmed Anglicans.

I'd like to make my Anglican conversion official eventually, but I'm not sure if I want to be officially received by confirmation. A local pastor told me confirmation can be repeated. I told him I was confirmed in another church, but would have to be re-confirmed Episcopal if I wanted to serve in the vestry/parish council. I think they should just recognize my confirmation in my former church (Greek Orthodox) and let me do an affirmation of faith. Guess I'll have to check into it more.