• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you keep up with it all?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There's so many things I feel like I have to get done, and it stresses me out. Keeping the house clean (organized is another story), making dinner and taking the time to eat it (yeah, even eating it feels like a chore because eating is distracting to me), trying to find time for my writing hobby (admittedly I could make time for it but I just feel overburdened from the other things I have to do), going to the gym (it's only an hour a day and I enjoy it, but still is energy consuming), doing dishes (do them basically daily now), and then just having time to relax on the internet or watching a movie (it's gotten to a point I am very picky about what I watch because I know it's going to be 2 hours of my time). I also need to go for at least an hour walk whenever it's nice out because that's the only time I seem to get to clear my head and release endorphins. Then, of course, brushing my teeth twice a day and taking a shower regularly.

These things I've listed, I see no way around them except but to do them, these are all either necessities for survival (eating, cleaning) or things I value a lot (gym, writing, walking).

Luckily I only work three days a week (12 hour shifts though, so on those days I pretty much do nothing but eat, go to work, eat, gym, sleep, repeat) so that helps.

Another thing is I've been meaning to set a consistent sleep schedule. On work days I have to wake up at 4:30 am to get everything needed for work. In the winter time I have to leave by 5:10 am latest. It's hard to get to sleep on time on those three days, never mind waking up early, if I regularly go to bed later than I do on work nights. And if I don't get my full 8 hours I am dead tired, I can hardly function on less than 8 hours. -- But I'm being lenient on that until I get a gym routine down (I only started going again at the beginning of this month, so one thing at a time).

Man, I just don't understand life. I haven't even included socializing time (because I seldom socialize outside of the internet or at work, nor would I know when to make time for that if I did).

Do I have to sacrifice some things? Do i just need to do better at disciplining myself? For most things I'm able to say "Just do it" when it comes to chores and hygiene, because I know if I don't get at least those things done then that's a rabbit hole I'm falling down. But writing and gym I've been struggling to make time for. I genuinely enjoy both once I start, but starting is the problem. The "just do it" idea doesn't seem to work for those, because my mind suggests they're optional (regardless of how much I value what they do for me)

RestlessSoul

Sounds like you’re pretty disciplined tbh. Sometimes you just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other, which is what you seem to be doing. Other times, you’ll feel like your breezing through life effortlessly. Try to have a holiday if you can, a few days away can sustain you for a whole year.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Try getting to bed the same time every night and waking at 4:30. The days you aren't working do the chores early. Get them done the rest of the day is your own. Once you get into the habit it becomes easier.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have good weeks and bad weeks. I try not to judge myself harshly on the bad weeks. They're the 'just get through it' times. Dishes need to be done and toddler needs to be cared for but if something less necessary slides for the week, I don't beat myself up over it.

Ultimately, though, my wife only works 2.5 days a week. If she worked 5.0 or more (like me) it would just be impossible to get through everything we want to.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Self employment and independent contracting can help. Sure, not always, but it's easier when your time is your own.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's so many things I feel like I have to get done, and it stresses me out. Keeping the house clean (organized is another story), making dinner and taking the time to eat it (yeah, even eating it feels like a chore because eating is distracting to me), trying to find time for my writing hobby (admittedly I could make time for it but I just feel overburdened from the other things I have to do), going to the gym (it's only an hour a day and I enjoy it, but still is energy consuming), doing dishes (do them basically daily now), and then just having time to relax on the internet or watching a movie (it's gotten to a point I am very picky about what I watch because I know it's going to be 2 hours of my time). I also need to go for at least an hour walk whenever it's nice out because that's the only time I seem to get to clear my head and release endorphins. Then, of course, brushing my teeth twice a day and taking a shower regularly.

These things I've listed, I see no way around them except but to do them, these are all either necessities for survival (eating, cleaning) or things I value a lot (gym, writing, walking).

Luckily I only work three days a week (12 hour shifts though, so on those days I pretty much do nothing but eat, go to work, eat, gym, sleep, repeat) so that helps.

Another thing is I've been meaning to set a consistent sleep schedule. On work days I have to wake up at 4:30 am to get everything needed for work. In the winter time I have to leave by 5:10 am latest. It's hard to get to sleep on time on those three days, never mind waking up early, if I regularly go to bed later than I do on work nights. And if I don't get my full 8 hours I am dead tired, I can hardly function on less than 8 hours. -- But I'm being lenient on that until I get a gym routine down (I only started going again at the beginning of this month, so one thing at a time).

Man, I just don't understand life. I haven't even included socializing time (because I seldom socialize outside of the internet or at work, nor would I know when to make time for that if I did).

Do I have to sacrifice some things? Do i just need to do better at disciplining myself? For most things I'm able to say "Just do it" when it comes to chores and hygiene, because I know if I don't get at least those things done then that's a rabbit hole I'm falling down. But writing and gym I've been struggling to make time for. I genuinely enjoy both once I start, but starting is the problem. The "just do it" idea doesn't seem to work for those, because my mind suggests they're optional (regardless of how much I value what they do for me)
In some ways I envy you....having so much time to do the things you want. Both my wife and myself work Monday to Saturday for 10-11 hours. I start from my office at 8 am and return at 6 pm. My wife starts at 9 am and returns at 7 pm. Saturdays is work from home but still work. Sundays is doing everything required for the household. We are trying to buy our own apartment, so the extra work helps but is very hectic. I am passionate about my work, so that makes it less burdensome. But it harder for my wife. Her work is not as good.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That sounds like the beginning of a depression(*) - or you just need a long vacation.
I'm no psychiatrist or psychologist, so take that with a grain of salt. All I know about depression is that I'm early retired because of it.

The Sum of Awe

That sounds like the beginning of a depression(*) - or you just need a long vacation.
I'm no psychiatrist or psychologist, so take that with a grain of salt. All I know about depression is that I'm early retired because of it.
To be fair, the main reason I started going to gym and writing is to overcome depression. It's been beneficial, I'm pretty happier with my life now than a couples years ago since I've started adopting better habits and hobbies. So it could be past depression showing remnant symptoms. Another thought I got from other responses here is that maybe it is normal to struggle keeping up with everything and I shouldn't expect consistency.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

My approach is to let many things slide.
It doesn't work well though.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I don't think this is the answer you're necessarily looking for, but I'd say:

Outsource and delegate what you can't do yourself, and is ethical to outsource or delegate.

My list of chores is quite a bit different than yours, but I used this approach, even when it means programming an app to do my tech-related chores for me.

The Sum of Awe

I don't think this is the answer you're necessarily looking for, but I'd say:

Outsource and delegate what you can't do yourself, and is ethical to outsource or delegate.

My list of chores is quite a bit different than yours, but I used this approach, even when it means programming an app to do my tech-related chores for me.
I dont have the money to hire a maid unfortunately :laughing:

PureX

Veteran Member

I don't know. Maybe try to combine things. I remember Finneas in an interview saying that he would invite friends to go for a walk with him because he liked going for a walk every day, and he liked to chat with friends regularly, but time was getting too tight for both. So he had to combine them.

Maybe the same could be done for a meal once in a while. Meet someone for a sandwich.

Movies and writing: input and output. Maybe alternate them within a regularly set time.

Brush your teeth in the shower. Clean the toilet after using it every third or forth time. Same with the sink, etc.

Stuff like that.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Try getting to bed the same time every night and waking at 4:30. The days you aren't working do the chores early. Get them done the rest of the day is your own. Once you get into the habit it becomes easier.
I've run my whole life that way! Sundays, I start laundry at 6:00, and it's all put away by 8:00 and the day is mine! After getting up in the morning, when you're done in the bathroom, give everything a quick once over -- takes 2 minutes tops -- then major cleaning is that much shorter.

InChrist

Free4ever

Life is like that; just too much to do and never enough time. Overwhelming sometimes. I think the older you get the more you realize that’s just the way it is and you can’t worry or get stressed about it. Nevertheless, everyone does get stressed at times. Just do the best you can, evaluate your priorities from time to time, focusing on what is most important to you, and keep going.

For me personally, I am just so thankful to know I have eternity ahead because this life is way to short to do everything I’d like to do.

Shaul

Premium Member
I don't want this to sound critical but what you are complaining about seem like "first world problems". I suggest being more grateful. It helps. That isn't some kind of a slam. It is a practical suggestion that I have found works from personal experience.