• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How could first big-bang explode?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
But, um, the big-bang wasn't an explosion.... so what is the point of the OP?

What Is the Big Bang Theory?
Hi YmirGF, I couldn't find anything in that linked article that says it was not an explosion...so where do you get that from?

In any event...if you have followed the thread...the question I am asking....does anyone know the cause of the expansion after the beginning of the singularity?

Because if there is no actual cause known to science...big bang theory has a hole in it you drive a bus through...:rolleyes:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
But I do believe quite a bit for which I feel certain are good reasons. And I wanted to share that with those who might be interested; that's what we do on RF.

You said that, basically, it's beyond comprehension. Therefore you do not know.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
A friend mentioned in the thread that it was a very speedy and fast expansion and that is what an explosion is.
Regards
No. An explosion is a fast chemical reaction within a space. A space-time-expansion is not chemical nor within a space, since it's producing space itself (which it currently still is doing at the edge of our universe).

The key to understanding it is to realize that expansion and explosion are two different concepts.

-edit

Here's an article attempting to explain it:
Big Bang: Expansion, NOT Explosion | Of Particular Significance

No one said it's an easy thing to understand, but that's how the theory states it. Right or wrong, that's what the theory is based on. A key part might be Loop quantum gravity to understand it better.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You said that, basically, it's beyond comprehension. Therefore you do not know.
We can understand up to a point with concepts we can comprehend. I was not saying we know nothing because we can't grasp everything.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No. An explosion is a fast chemical reaction within a space. A space-time-expansion is not chemical nor within a space, since it's producing space itself (which it currently still is doing at the edge of our universe).

The key to understanding it is to realize that expansion and explosion are two different concepts.
My dictionary gives more than just that definition, including this....explosion...A sudden outburst

Apart from which...what caused the expansion, outburst, or explosion?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
My dictionary gives more than just that definition, including this....explosion...A sudden outburst
So we're going for the dictionary explanations of the theory?

The theory of big bang states that it was an expansion of space, not an explosion (as it's defined in chemistry and physics, and not how it's defined in colloquial use).

Apart from which...what caused the expansion, outburst, or explosion?
Nothing. Causality as we understand it only works within space-time, and since space-time didn't exist at the point before the expansion, neither did causality as we know it. So it's a moot question. It's like asking, what natural number comes before 1. (No, it's not zero.) Or which number is smaller than 0 (zero). It's a question that only creates conundrums because of language. We don't have the terms, language, understanding for it, except if we use math, but to do so, it requires years of study.

And again, the term "explosion" in its scientific use is incorrect when it comes to the scientific theory of big bang. The term "Big Bang" was invented by Fred Hoyle only to simplify the difference between the new theory and steady state theory. It was not intended to be a scientific declaration of "wow, look, it exploded" theory.

Another thing, big bang theory has to separate it from explosion because an explosion cannot, can never, according to the science we have, expand faster than the speed of light. However, the expansion of space can! Within a fraction of a second of big bang, 70% of the universe came into existence. That's trillions-trillions-trillions times faster than the speed of light. Spacetime can do that. Explosions can't.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So we're going for the dictionary explanations of the theory?

The theory of big bang states that it was an expansion of space, not an explosion (as it's defined in chemistry and physics, and not how it's defined in colloquial use).

Nothing. Causality as we understand it only works within space-time, and since space-time didn't exist at the point before the expansion, neither did causality as we know it. So it's a moot question. It's like asking, what natural number comes before 1. (No, it's not zero.) Or which number is smaller than 0 (zero). It's a question that only creates conundrums because of language. We don't have the terms, language, understanding for it, except if we use math, but to do so, it requires years of study.

And again, the term "explosion" in its scientific use is incorrect when it comes to the scientific theory of big bang. The term "Big Bang" was invented by Fred Hoyle only to simplify the difference between the new theory and steady state theory. It was not intended to be a scientific declaration of "wow, look, it exploded" theory.
Ok...how can space time not exist while an expansion is taking place?

So what is the cause of the expansion, explosion?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Ok...how can space time not exist while an expansion is taking place?
You didn't even look at the article I assume.

The expansion is the spacetime extending out, expanding, stretching, becoming... And it still is. Current knowledge is that the universe is expanding with an increasing speed. Spacetime is expanding as we speak. Or "exploding" as you want to call it.

So what is the cause of the expansion, explosion?
You didn't read my answer? It's a nonsensical question. What is 1/0? That's your answer.

What caused the expansion? Division by zero.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A friend mentioned in the thread that it was a very speedy and fast expansion and that is what an explosion is.
Regards
Indeed, that is what an explosion is, however that is not what the big bang was/is. The big bang is a misnomer, as the event was/is inflationary. Both time and space inflated therefore there was no explosion, as explosions take place in space. The unfortunately named "big bang" created time and space and has not stopped inflating since. If you are asking what the mechanics were behind this inflation, no one, to my knowledge can tell you that as we cannot observe the initial inflation or the singularity prior to inflation.

The bottom line is stop referring to it AS an explosion. It was not.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hi YmirGF, I couldn't find anything in that linked article that says it was not an explosion...so where do you get that from?
What part of inflation do you not get, Bendy?

5 Reasons to Care About New Big Bang Inflation Theory Discovery

In any event...if you have followed the thread...the question I am asking....does anyone know the cause of the expansion after the beginning of the singularity?
No one, to my knowledge, can answer this. It is all purely theoretical speculation.

Because if there is no actual cause known to science...big bang theory has a hole in it you drive a bus through...:rolleyes:
The big bang isn't about what caused it though, Ben. :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You didn't even look at the article I assume.

The expansion is the spacetime extending out, expanding, stretching, becoming... And it still is. Current knowledge is that the universe is expanding with an increasing speed. Spacetime is expanding as we speak. Or "exploding" as you want to call it.

You didn't read my answer? It's a nonsensical question. What is 1/0? That's your answer.

What caused the expansion? Division by zero.
You are as bad as the others...refusing to respond to a perfectly reasonable scientific question by changing the subject....what is the cause of the expansion...not at time zero...not before time zero...but after time zero...good grief!

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What part of inflation do you not get, Bendy?

5 Reasons to Care About New Big Bang Inflation Theory Discovery

No one, to my knowledge, can answer this. It is all purely theoretical speculation.

The big bang isn't about what caused it though, Ben. :)
Nothing in the new linked article refutes big bang explosion YmirGF....but don't worry about it, it's only semantics...explode, expand, inflate.....who cares...the thing is, expansion took place and time space is in play....and in this time...stuff was moving away from other stuff....what is the cause of the expansion?

If your answer is, as it seems to be, that science doesn't know, just speculation......then it is no better than this....and God said, “Let there be inflation,” and there was inflation.

Maybe to you the big bang isn't about what caused it...to me and all sane people...one doesn't buy it unless the seller can explain it...