• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope for the New Year

InChrist

Free4ever
I just read an encouraging article and thought I’d share it…

As we leave behind 2023 and enter 2024, many people like to make New Year’s resolutions. Many times I have heard people proclaim that they are very eager to say goodbye to 2023 so that they may cling to the hope of a better 2024. For some people that may hold true. 2024 may be a better year for some.

But does one day make a difference? If you were in despair on 31 December 2023, will 1 January 2024 be radically different? The unbeliever may not have an anchor that will keep their soul steadfast and sure. But for the believer there is genuine hope.

Even though we may only resolve to make changes in our lives at each new year, in God’s economy, He works in us and through us day by day! In the book of Lamentations, we read this in chapter 3 of verses 22-26: “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.”

Earlier in chapter 3 Jeremiah (who is thought to have written the book of Lamentations) expresses his deep despair. Yet in verse 21 he says: “This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.” In secular psychology, often psychologists will ask you to bring up and confront every bad thing that has happened in your life. But Jeremiah does the opposite. He brings hope to his soul and mind by remembering the Lord’s mercy, His compassion, His goodness, His faithfulness and His salvation. Dear believer, surely this is the remedy for a soul in despair and one which is seeking hope! In this magnificent declaration of faith and trust in the unfailing mercies of God, Jeremiah looks to the future with renewed hope. When you look at your future, do you look at it with anxiety, fear, worry or doubt? When I find myself doing that, I have to consciously tell myself to stop and instead ask the Lord to bring peace into my heart. This course of action is not without precedent. David said as much in Psalm 43:5-6: “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.”

Continue reading: