• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hermeneutics: Observation vs. Understanding

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to Schleiermacher hermeneutics is the art of understanding. And because of the age of reason the study of language humanistically has proven to be more favorable which has limited hermeneutics to being the art of observing what is written. (fyi, This is not a quote.)

Source: Friedrich Schleiermacher: Pioneer of Modern Theology edited by Keith W. Clements, P.157-158, Points I. 1-3

My question for you guys is... When you read something do you try to recreate what you've read to get a better understanding or do you just observe the text and reason your way around it?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to Schleiermacher hermeneutics is the art of understanding. And because of the age of reason the study of language humanistically has proven to be more favorable which has limited hermeneutics to being the art of observing what is written. (fyi, This is not a quote.)

Source: Friedrich Schleiermacher: Pioneer of Modern Theology edited by Keith W. Clements, P.157-158, Points I. 1-3

My question for you guys is... When you read something do you try to recreate what you've read to get a better understanding or do you just observe the text and reason your way around it?

The difference between hermeneutics (not even allowed by the spell-checker)
and phenomenology is something that should be taught at pre-school.