• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with theological questions?

Faith44

I go to a very conservative school and have been assigned to interview someone about Christianity. Would anyone here be willing to help me with these questions? It would help me so much.

Here are the questions:

What is your personal religious background?

When you hear the word “Christian,” what immediately comes to mind?

What do you believe or have you heard is the core teaching of Christianity?

Christianity teaches that sex is preserved for marriage. Do you believe that this is possible or right? Why do you think Christians believe this?

To what extent do religious leaders try to use government to legislate morality?

Pope John Paul II believed that free market economy was the most effective way to keep people out of poverty. Do you think that he was correct in this teaching? Why or why not?

Traditionally, Christians have been cautious about the coercive power of government in society. Popes Benedict XVI and John Paul II teach that government is not primarily responsible for meeting the needs of the poor. Who would you say is responsible for meeting the needs of the poor in our society and why?

What would you say is the greatest moral problem in America today and what needs to happen to rectify this problem?

What is your age and gender?

Thank you very much!

I'm not American, so I don't know if my responses will be relevant to your survey, but I sent you a PM with my responses anyway. My apologies in advance if they were unwarranted.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This thread has been moved to the Homework and Tutoring Room.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I go to a very conservative school and have been assigned to interview someone about Christianity. Would anyone here be willing to help me with these questions? It would help me so much.

Here are the questions:

What is your personal religious background?
JW

When you hear the word “Christian,” what immediately comes to mind?
one who believes Jesus to be the promised Messiah of the Hebrew Scriptures.

What do you believe or have you heard is the core teaching of Christianity?
The kingdom of God had drawn near and will soon take over rulership of the earth and unite all its nations under its King Jesus Christ. .

Christianity teaches that sex is preserved for marriage. Do you believe that this is possible or right? Why do you think Christians believe this?
It is possible and it is right. This is Gods view because it is through the marriage arrangement that children are to be brought forth. Children need both mother and father to provide them a loving home and a balanced view of the male and female role and marriage is what provides this stability.

To what extent do religious leaders try to use government to legislate morality?
Christian religious leaders should have no input into political affairs, but I have seen them on the news getting into moral debates and I dont think it is their position to impose their views on everyone. They should certainly express their views in their churches, but they are not an authority over other peoples actions. Their role should only be to provide guidance on the scriptural principles and then it should be up to individuals to apply that themselves.

Pope John Paul II believed that free market economy was the most effective way to keep people out of poverty. Do you think that he was correct in this teaching? Why or why not?
He was wrong. He should have heeded Jesus words "you will always have the poor with you"
Free markets are not going to abolish poverty...only God can do that.

Traditionally, Christians have been cautious about the coercive power of government in society. Popes Benedict XVI and John Paul II teach that government is not primarily responsible for meeting the needs of the poor. Who would you say is responsible for meeting the needs of the poor in our society and why?
People must meet their own needs. We must work with our own hands to avoid falling into poverty. If we keep our lives simple as the scriptures advise, then we can learn to live on less and be happy and content.

What would you say is the greatest moral problem in America today and what needs to happen to rectify this problem?
from an outsiders point of view i think capitalism is Americas worst problem. Its money and the desire for riches that bring people down. The media has the ability to plant the desire for something in the mind and then when people strive for these material things they dig themselves deeper and deeper into debt and then they have to work harder to pay for them and so the cycle continues. Consumer societies are a disaster for peace of mind, contentment and happiness.

What is your age and gender?

37 yrs female