• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the influence of Atheism (Agnosticism/Skepticism) improved civilization?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Morality, good and bad....they are fluid social constructs. Not a single moral concept has been timeless and consistent from one side of the world to the other.

There is one constant, timeless and consistent from one side of the world to the other, it is flexibility of a moral. A natural instinct of a human done suiting the occasion is moral.
Briefly:
This means that we are to return good for good, and to exercise benevolence when it is called for, and to do good with natural eagerness as between kindred, when that should be appropriate.

Regards

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Nationalism is also very destructive. Ethnocentrism is very destructive.

And we should combat religiosity and nationalism as harshly as we combat ethnocentrism. Pointing out alternative causes of evil actions does not wash the blood off the hands of the religious.

It is an erroneous concept. Newton was a religionist and a scientist, two in one.
Truthful Religion always supports useful criticism or thinking critically.
I don't agree with you.

Regards

Yet, Isaac Newton gave "God" the glory for the movement of the planets and was a YEC (before that term even existed).

It's one thing to investigate the mechanics of the natural world; and an entirely different thing to question such things as, say, the woman's place in home and society or homosexuality; or whether or not God is real; or whether or not the world was swallowed by a great flood.

He was a brilliant man ahead of his time, and I believe that if he was born in the 20th century rather than the 17th century, he would have been an atheist.

S
There is one constant, timeless and consistent from one side of the world to the other, it is flexibility of a moral. A natural instinct of a human done suiting the occasion is moral.
Briefly:
This means that we are to return good for good, and to exercise benevolence when it is called for, and to do good with natural eagerness as between kindred, when that should be appropriate.

Regards

In one sentence, name one specific moral absolute every culture and every time have agreed on and upheld.

And we should combat religiosity and nationalism as harshly as we combat ethnocentrism. Pointing out alternative causes of evil actions does not wash the blood off the hands of the religious.

Yet, Isaac Newton gave "God" the glory for the movement of the planets and was a YEC (before that term even existed).

It's one thing to investigate the mechanics of the natural world; and an entirely different thing to question such things as, say, the woman's place in home and society or homosexuality; or whether or not God is real; or whether or not the world was swallowed by a great flood.

He was a brilliant man ahead of his time, and I believe that if he was born in the 20th century rather than the 17th century, he would have been an atheist.

Can you give some examples of recent combat of ethnocentrism?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
This is not true.
A far better predictor is not if a state is religious or secular, but how the leaders themselves govern. Typically things such as absolute power tend to be far more corrosive to rights and things such as skepticism.
Example please? Absolute power by the way is also a universal trait of theocracies. In what way can skepticism be corrosive to rights?

Example please? Absolute power by the way is also a universal trait of theocracies. In what way can skepticism be corrosive to rights?[/QUOTE "]Absolute power corrupts absolutely". Power, jealousy, vengeance, religion, greed, hate, prejudice...I imagine the many reasons power has let to corruption is a long, long, long list.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yet, Isaac Newton ...
If someone says Newton would have denied being an Atheist, one would be equally right.
Am I right?

Regards