• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gov. Brown signs controversial assisted-suicide bill

Pending further review ...

• I support the Bill.

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • I oppose the bill.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted for assisted suicide.

I still have a gift certificate good for one free visit to Dr Kevorkian.
(Not much use now.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If someone is suffering and slowly dying from a painful death, I see no reason why they should not have the option to legally end their lives without enduring the agony.
It makes no sense, at all, that we allow our pets to be euthanized when their suffering is great, but we force people with rotting and decaying organs that are loosing the ability to function until they reach the point where death happens because the damage is too severe for their lives to continue.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I went through the article in the OP rather quickly and did not look at the actual bill, does the bill state a physician may choose to provide a prescription but isn't required?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
This is very thought provoking:

“This is a dark day for California and for the Brown legacy,” Rosales said. “As someone of wealth and access to the world’s best medical care and doctors, the governor's background is very different than that of millions of Californians living in healthcare poverty without that same access — these are the people and families potentially hurt by giving doctors the power to prescribe lethal overdoses to patients.”

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
This is very thought provoking:

“This is a dark day for California and for the Brown legacy,” Rosales said. “As someone of wealth and access to the world’s best medical care and doctors, the governor's background is very different than that of millions of Californians living in healthcare poverty without that same access — these are the people and families potentially hurt by giving doctors the power to prescribe lethal overdoses to patients.”
We'll put down other animals when there is nothing we can do for them but make them as comfortable as possible. Why will we not give ourselves that same gift? There is very much a thing as "too much" in regards to suffering.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
We'll put down other animals when there is nothing we can do for them but make them as comfortable as possible. Why will we not give ourselves that same gift? There is very much a thing as "too much" in regards to suffering.
I really don't want to get into this again. This topic isn't good for me, emotionally.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I really don't understand how this is even an issue.
It's a personal flaw.
You have a poorly developed portion of your brain (the parental obligatum lobe) in
which is seated the desire to force others to behave according to your every whim.
Popes, televangelists, & dictators are often gifted with a very large one.

Demonslayer

If someone is suffering and slowly dying from a painful death, I see no reason why they should not have the option to legally end their lives without enduring the agony.
It makes no sense, at all, that we allow our pets to be euthanized when their suffering is great, but we force people with rotting and decaying organs that are loosing the ability to function until they reach the point where death happens because the damage is too severe for their lives to continue.

This x 1000

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's a personal flaw.
You have a poorly developed portion of your brain (the parental obligatum lobe) in
which is seated the desire to force others to behave according to your every whim.
Popes, televangelists, & dictators are often gifted with a very large one.

Damn my damaged brain and its lack of desire to control. I'm never going to be exert control over the masses at this rate.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I voted for assisted suicide.

I still have a gift certificate good for one free visit to Dr Kevorkian.
(Not much use now.)
I'm Kevorkian's official replacement, so would you prefer hemlock or talking to an insurance salesman for 24 hours?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

It was my dog getting cancer and watching him suffer that got me to the point of having him put down that changed my mind on this in regards to us humans.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I agree with that.

It puts lives back into the hands of the individual as opposed to others to decide what a person can and cannot do with their own life.

I do think careful steps should be taken however to insure it's the persons sincere wishes, and not something in the heat of the moment, or a premature rash reaction.

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "Oppose the bill".

Life and death questions are the hardest of them all, and I don't need a religion to believe that. My opinion on this is more "gut" feeling in response to thinking about my own period when I felt sucicidal. I believe that death is final and think this is side stepping a much larger debate about how we deal with death as a society.

Some people will chose to die because they believe in an afterlife and a "better place". Others will chose to die because they want the illusion of control and call it dignity or choice and get to pretend they are their own god. Both ultimately trivialise death based on how little we value life and on how much we exaggerate our own significance by thinking our choices matter. we've built a culture based on turning death into something "normal" so we don't ask these questions. After the zombie movies and a killing spree on grand theft auto maybe we can tune in to watch someone die in a "freak accident" in midsummer murders? is that how we understand 'death'? Do we think taking a pill is going to make it all better and go away, when in reality its the last decision of any consequencewe will ever make?

our society hates life. it spends billions of dollars in advertising trying to make us hate ourselves, our lives and think we are failures, that we should fill ourlives with junk, do jobs we hate so we can be paid and then buy stuff to impress people who don't know us, whilst our relatives wait in the wings for us to die so they can inherit it as we age of neglect in a "retirement home".

We get to keep their precious illusion of control on their deathbeds as it is stripped away from them in the rest of their lives. the moment they wake up from the fanatasy world and see just how utterly small and inconsequential, how irrelevant have been their ambitions and meaningless their financial success, just they are is the moment they're going to die.

How can we face the nightmare of knowing we've lived a lie, let alone deal with death? the fear of death destroys our ego and our illusion of individuality. lets avoid the existential angst and just get it over with shall we?

come on. this is not about the sanctity of human life. it's self-administered eugenics where we pass the buck for making other people feel like a burden and then get them to push the button for us because we are too cowardly to accept responsibility for the life of another human being. life is so "sacred" we have to wash our hands of it. why force the government to kill the sick, or let them die on the street because they can't afford healthcare, when you can get them to sign a piece of paper so they do it themselves? isn't that the best way to conceal our hypocrisy? dress up our cruelty and indifference as kindness?

Is there a better way to save the government from giving free healthcare to poor people by getting them to kill themselves? When we create a society that treats them that they aren't "useful" to society alive- is it not much more kind to "end their suffering"? how benevolent are "we" to generously provide them to drugs to end it for them. Will a preist be free too so tell us how we should hate our earthly form and long for a better place?

"Don't worry poor timmy. it will be over soon. And you can go be with your pet dog. here's some pills so you can go play fetch in the afterlife. go to sleep now."

How American; call it "freedom" and people will do whatever they're told. Let the dying people choose to die, rather than make the living think about the abyss and imagine themselves in their place. we can keep our dellusions of our own significance a little longer and preach empty sentimentality to others as we ourselves remain in denial.

I don't buy it. it may be right and I could probably even accept that, but I resent the pretense that this is "freedom". I don't think we're ready as a society to accept responsibility what that implies. we're still so deep in denial that death is final that this is one freedom I seriously doubt we can be trusted with. I may probably feel differently if this was passed in a referendum, but it might just underline the fact that everyone's really trying to run away from the issue that we are all going to die. I might be delluding myself, but I want to take the chance and live for as long as I have got. Why is it individualism to chose our own death, rather than fight for every second we've got?

p.s. California still has the death penalty. In 2012, 52% of people voted to keep it rather than replace it with life imprisonment. I don't find that encouraging.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Voted "Oppose the bill".
And then proceeded to run off at the mouth spewing all manner of mindless drivel such as: "Is there a better way to save the government from giving free healthcare to poor people by getting them to kill themselves?"

Again ...

The California law will permit physicians to provide lethal prescriptions to mentally competent adults who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and face the expectation that they will die within six months.
Trust me on this: I have absolutely no problem with you choosing an excruciating death for yourself, but that you would mandate it for others is simply sick.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Life and death questions are the hardest of them all, and I don't need a religion to believe that. My opinion on this is more "gut" feeling in response to thinking about my own period when I felt sucicidal. I believe that death is final and think this is side stepping a much larger debate about how we deal with death as a society.
Such laws do not grant these drugs for those who are suicidal. Rather they are there for those who have a terminal illness, are suffering, and do not have much time left to live anyways. Why not let them end their suffering, rather than enduring it even though there is no hope for tomorrow, it will not get better, and in fact it is likely to only get worse?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am all for assisted suicide as long as there are stringent safeguards in place to ensure that taking advantage of this option is not abused.