• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free arabic language course

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How different are the various dialects of Arabic, Peace?
Do Saudis, Iraqis and Egyptians have any trouble understanding each other? Do some dialects sound more learned or sophisticated than others?

What dialect do these DVDs teach? The link says "Learn the language of the Qur'an," but, from what I understand, Qur'anic Arabic is archaic and understood only by scholars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Do Saudis, Iraqis and Egyptians have any trouble understanding each other? Do some dialects sound more learned or sophisticated than others?

Arabic dialect differs from one country to another. We can understand some of it but not all the words that are used by each dialect. Egyptian dialect is so widespread due to the widespread of their movies; so Egyptian dialect can be understood by most Arabs. I, for example can't find any difficulty in understanding Egyptian and syrian dialects. I can also understand the Jordan, lebanese and also the Kuwait dialects. So most of Arabs can communicate somehow with each other using their own dialects but in order to well communicate we speak in the Classical Arabic.

What dialect do these DVDs teach? The link says "Learn the language of the Qur'an," .

These DVDs teach the classical Arabic, the Arabic of the Quran. It is the Arabic used in schools, universities, literature, books, offices, news.... .

but, from what I understand, Qur'anic Arabic is archaic and understood only by scholars

Who told you so? Most Arabs and also non-Arabs who learnt Arabic can understand the language of the Quran which is the classical Arabic. The Quran is revealed for every time and every place, that's why its language can be understood not only by Arabs but also those who learn the Arabic language.
We can encounter, however, some words that we should look up at the dictionary or at the Tafseer to understand its meaning like any other language. We cannot master the language 100% and understand all its vocabularlies. But every educated person and every literate who has studied Arabic do understand the Quran and its meaning and not only the scholars. Quran is not meant only for scholars but for everyone and it is addressing everyone. While reading it you feel that God is talking to you and addressing you.
When we refer back to tafseer we refer to understand the verses and the reasons behind their revelation...etc, but the language is understood. The language of the Quran can never die thanks be to Allah!

Hope things are clearer to you now Sey :)

Last edited:

riverfox

A slave of Allah (swt)

What dialect do these DVDs teach? The link says "Learn the language of the Qur'an," but, from what I understand, Qur'anic Arabic is archaic and understood only by scholars.
Speakers of different Arabic dialects don't have any troubles understanding each other clearly.Also can use Standerd Arabic to communicate.
When the noble Qur'an was revealed in the Arabic Dialects of Quraish tribe (which was the best and most popular because Qurais was the ruler of Mecca and Kabah that all arabs visit).it became the Standerd Arabic (Which is the offical language in 25 countries now),and Grammer rules of standerd Arabic were taken from the Qur'an. All speakers of Arabic can speak and undrstand Standerd Arabic,and can read and understand the noble Qur'an.

riverfox

A slave of Allah (swt)
بالمناسبة "بيس" هل تعتقدين أنه من الصعب فهم اللهجات المختلفة للغة العربية ؟ ألن
تفهميني عندما أتحدث بالسودانية مثلاً ؟ ربما ا:sarcastic أنا أفهم المصريين ،لكن بالنسبة لي فقط اللهجات المغاربية هي الصعبة
على كل،، هذا إيحاء لهؤلاء أن المتحدثين باللهجات العربية المختلفة لا يفهمون بعضهم
وربما يبعدهم عن العربية:D هههه
!تحياتي و السلام

بالمناسبة "بيس" هل تعتقدين أنه من الصعب فهم اللهجات المختلفة للغة العربية ؟ ألن
تفهميني عندما أتحدث بالسودانية مثلاً ؟ ربما ا:sarcastic أنا أفهم المصريين ،لكن بالنسبة لي فقط اللهجات المغاربية هي الصعبة
على كل،، هذا إيحاء لهؤلاء أن المتحدثين باللهجات العربية المختلفة لا يفهمون بعضهم
وربما يبعدهم عن العربية:D هههه
!تحياتي و السلام

No one said there would be homework :eek:

Parzival

This thread and the fact that my financial aid for school summer term has fallen through have inspired me to spend my summer learning to read/write/speak/hear basic Arabic. Thank you all.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
This thread and the fact that my financial aid for school summer term has fallen through have inspired me to spend my summer learning to read/write/speak/hear basic Arabic. Thank you all.

That's something good to do:) in case you stumble in the way, we are here ready to help :)

Peace