• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flower season

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For those of us in northern climates where flowers are seasonal, this sure is an auspicious time of the year. For about 3-4 months the Gods get fresh flowers. We've planted a bunch of hardy bush roses over the years, and it seems we could never run out of petals. A month ago there were lilacs, now it's unlimited roses. My fireplace (outside) has 2 climbing jackmani clematis vines. There are about 200 blooms out there, and I can totally cover the Nataraja idol circle of flames with about 15 max. Later the annuals we use (nasturtiums (so colorful) and calendula (frost hardy) will take over.

The temple's annual festival starting 2 weeks today is in peak rose season, and the priests are overwhelmed with loose flowers, in addition to the garlands ordered from Toronto.

I wish there was some way of saving them for January. Still, there are some real boons to living in northern climates, one of them being weather is never boring.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I've just arrived in California and am quickly realizing the benefit of living in a climate where flowers not only grow well, they grow almost all year round. I nearly swooned at a farmers market last Sunday at the sight of so many colorful and fluffy Dahlias. Roses here are spectacular too. I picked up some mums and daisies for the garlands I'm making tomorrow.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've just arrived in California and am quickly realizing the benefit of living in a climate where flowers not only grow well, they grow almost all year round. I nearly swooned at a farmers market last Sunday at the sight of so many colorful and fluffy Dahlias. Roses here are spectacular too. I picked up some mums and daisies for the garlands I'm making tomorrow.

Oh be quiet. The Rose Bowl is January 1 there. All year round.

Will you guys eventually have a bit of land where you can plant some flowering shrubs?

This is typical here now ... https://www.google.ca/search?q=Edmo...UICSgC&biw=1344&bih=708#imgrc=7BMujNV-cm5kjM:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Colorful wild flowers are very common between spring and summer in the south ! But it never really lasts long, less than some months... Here in the south of France, spring = storm season and summer = scorching heat season (seriously, even the grass turns yellow like in the savannah xD)

Now that am moving in the north, in a big city, I wonder how it will be. I doubt I'll find much patches of flowers around, and flowers are really expensive to buy here. Am going to plant a lot of flowers in my future apartment... Since the weather will mostly be rainy and cloudy up here, any suggestions for easy to grow flowers that could not be bothered by this weather ?

I would hate to rely to artificial flowers tho, even if often uses unbroken rice to replace it in puja for sahasranama or mantra pushpam

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vanakkam,

Colorful wild flowers are very common between spring and summer in the south ! But it never really lasts long, less than some months... Here in the south of France, spring = storm season and summer = scorching heat season (seriously, even the grass turns yellow like in the savannah xD)

Now that am moving in the north, in a big city, I wonder how it will be. I doubt I'll find much patches of flowers around, and flowers are really expensive to buy here. Am going to plant a lot of flowers in my future apartment... Since the weather will mostly be rainy and cloudy up here, any suggestions for easy to grow flowers that could not be bothered by this weather ?

I would hate to rely to artificial flowers tho, even if often uses unbroken rice to replace it in puja for sahasranama or mantra pushpam

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam Jaya

I'm sure a French gardener could help you out some. The climates are just so different all over on this planet. I'm guessing yours might be similar to Vancouver here, which is way different that where I live. In Vancouver in spring, the rhododendrons are absolutely abundant! About 80 varietis and spread out over time too. What flowers do well where is really variable. We have never really found any flowers that do well in smaller pots. Larger pots, yes, but even then, nothing beats outside where roots can go forever. The internet also has some really great sites.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/french-flowers/

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Valley of flowers, Himalayas (August), Kaas Plateau (Maharashtra)
valley-of-flowers-trek1.jpg
kaas_plateau_maharashtra_valley_flowers_satara_14.jpg

https://www.tripoto.com/blog/the-blooming-flower-trails-of-india/

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Oh be quiet. The Rose Bowl is January 1 there. All year round.

Will you guys eventually have a bit of land where you can plant some flowering shrubs?

This is typical here now ... https://www.google.ca/search?q=Edmonton+roses+in+bloom&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfzJS2s8TNAhUG52MKHZ08BqoQ_AUICSgC&biw=1344&bih=708#imgrc=7BMujNV-cm5kjM:

We have a nice balcony off our new apartment. Long and narrow but perfect for potted plants. Flowers are definitely in my plants. Big, bright marigolds! ;)
13428365_10154126628695605_600150092476859389_n.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We discovered too late (right before we moved) that if we plant our normal marigold seeds in the open earth instead of pots, the blooms become enormous! It's like they expand with the size of their living space like gold fish!

As a gardener, I've learned to think roots instead of flowers. Same principle for trees and shrubs. Tou really know your shrub rose is healthy when a shoot comes up directly from the ground 3 or 4 inches away from the main original trunk/stem. The best you can do on a balcony is large pots, and to not overcrowd the marigolds.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
As a gardener, I've learned to think roots instead of flowers. Same principle for trees and shrubs. Tou really know your shrub rose is healthy when a shoot comes up directly from the ground 3 or 4 inches away from the main original trunk/stem. The best you can do on a balcony is large pots, and to not overcrowd the marigolds.

I often make the mistake of crowding my flowers. I think - "More flowers means they'll grow in looking more full!" - Which is only true in the first couple of weeks. Then I'm 'dead heading' like a crazy person to keep them growing. Thanks for the tips, by the way. I've really only been gardening for about 2 years - and since we were in PA for that time, that really only meant 2 seasons. I've failed at vegetable growing so far, but flowers do okay under my care. Still trying to figure out how to keep insects off the flowers without using pesticide.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I often make the mistake of crowding my flowers. I think - "More flowers means they'll grow in looking more full!" - Which is only true in the first couple of weeks. Then I'm 'dead heading' like a crazy person to keep them growing. Thanks for the tips, by the way. I've really only been gardening for about 2 years - and since we were in PA for that time, that really only meant 2 seasons. I've failed at vegetable growing so far, but flowers do okay under my care. Still trying to figure out how to keep insects off the flowers without using pesticide.
Neem oil, diluted, or cayenne pepper, diluted (soaked in water, just use the water) can both work, but cayenne can also burn the leaves and kill the plants. all about right amounts.

You can also just thin the plants entirely. Deadheading is works like magic with marigolds especially. They really get prolific after deadheading. I can't do marigold any more because of a skin allergy to whatever is in them.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'm always on the lookout for new flowers that might be good for making garlands. I prefer to tie garlands because I love they way it looks, but it takes a lot more time, flowers and you need a certain kind of stem to make it work. I found a new flower in the store today called "Boronia" and it's a lovely little thing with a wonderful scent to boot. It can be tied...but barely. The stems are fragile (even more so than jasmine). But I managed to make this small garland for my Sita Maa today. Practice, Practice.
IMG_20170401_174740940.jpg
IMG_20170401_174803639.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's really impressive, FS, given their size. I made a few out of orchids in Kauai. My bulky fingers need at least am inch of flower to work with. But a really neat smaller flower is dianthus ... not sure if they grow well there, but so colorful.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
That's really impressive, FS, given their size. I made a few out of orchids in Kauai. My bulky fingers need at least am inch of flower to work with. But a really neat smaller flower is dianthus ... not sure if they grow well there, but so colorful.

We get them in the summer here I think. I haven't seen them yet, but I remember seeing them when we first moved here last summer. I like them a lot!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Beautiful flowers (in spite of their size) and beautiful garland (hard work, was not it?). But I am sure Maa Sita is extremely pleased and so is her consort. I can see Lord Lakshaman and Hanuman smiling. You said flower time - Tulips in Kashmir.

02_04_2017_011_033_002.jpg
23-encounter-sgr-28-03-2017JPG

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Fire-Side, put the garland thread behind Maa Sita's orb. That way the strings will not be visible. How long the flowers last?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Fire-Side, put the garland thread behind Maa Sita's orb. That way the strings will not be visible. How long the flowers last?

Looks like they last about a day. They were wilted this morning. So they aren't the marathon runners that marigolds are, but they are good for special occasions and while they are in season.

If I put it behind the orb, it hands down too low and looks a bit odd. I'll tie it better next time ;)