• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First and only poisonous bird that has ever been discovered

We Never Know

No Slack
What will we discover next on this rock we still know little about.

"When you think of poisonous animals, you most likely think of spiders, snakes, deadly frogs, and other creatures like that first. But what you might not know is that there are actually poisonous birds, too. They’re rare, though. In fact, they’re so rare that the hooded pitohui is the world’s first poisonous bird confirmed by scientific research.

The Melanesian people of Papua New Guinea have always known that the hooded pitohui was poisonous in some way. However, scientists had no idea until an ornithologist studying birds of paradise stumbled upon the species.

Jack Dumbacher was working the nets he and his colleagues had captured several hooded pitohui in when he was scratched. Instinctively, he pulled his finger away and put it in his mouth to soothe the pain. He quickly began to feel his tongue and lips go numb. Next, his mouth began to burn, and it burned painfully for hours. He later suspected the bird had caused the symptoms.

To test this hypothesis, Dumbacher grabbed a pitohui feather and placed it in his mouth. He immediately began to feel the same numbness and pain spread across his mouth. From there, Dumbacher began digging deeper into the hooded pitohui. He asked the locals in the area about the bird, which they advised was indeed poisonous.

The people of New Guinea call the pitohui the “garbage bird” because it smells terrible when cooked. It’s only consumed as a last resort, OddityCentral notes. Dumbacher wanted to learn more about the pitohui and the toxin it releases. After many hours of studying, he and others determined that the bird stores batrachotoxin in its feathers, body, and internal organs.

This neurotoxin is found in other creatures, like poison dart frogs and even the beetles that the pitohui eats. These beetles probably cause the hooded pitohui’s poisonous design, as scientists do not believe it produces the neurotoxin itself. Why the bird’s body stores this poison is still a mystery, though.

Thankfully, we can rest easy knowing that the hooded pitohui is the only poisonous bird in the world.
At least that we know of.

This is the first and only poisonous bird that has ever been discovered - BGR

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Extra points for both of you that supplied articles with the proper usage of the word "poisonous".

An easy way to remember is that if you bite a poisonous animal you could die. If you get bit by a venomous animal you could die. The difference between the two is based on who bites whom.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Extra points for both of you that supplied articles with the proper usage of the word "poisonous".

An easy way to remember is that if you bite a poisonous animal you could die. If you get bit by a venomous animal you could die. The difference between the two is based on who bites whom.

I'm expecting at least 100 extra points with inflation the way it is.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Next up.... Venomous birds

Only thing I can offer is the Cassowary, it's not venomous but it will give you a right nasty kickin' and you'll be looking for an Eastern Brown Snake to bite you to take the edge off the pain.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This link has serious problems. That blue capped ifrit picture is a black capped chickadee, and the ruffed grouse looks like a burrowing owl. The little shrike thrush is an American wood thrush-- and these are only the birds I'm familiar with. The ruffed grouse are, in fact, game birds, shot for the table.

Read the blurbs about each bird and you'll see they're not all poisonous in the way a pitohui is.

"Poison" is a pretty broad term. I ate both tomatoes and potatoes yesterday. Both have poisonous foliage, yet here I am banging away at my keyboard with no apparent effects.
Pufferfish -- "fugu," -- is a delicacy in Japan, but certain parts of it are deadly.
Here in the US, people eat rattlesnakes. They're no more "poisonous" than any other snake -- or the spur winged goose pictured in the article, for that matter.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
This link has serious problems. That blue capped ifrit picture is a black capped chickadee, and the ruffed grouse looks like a burrowing owl. The little shrike thrush is an American wood thrush-- and these are only the birds I'm familiar with. The ruffed grouse are, in fact, game birds, shot for the table.

Read the blurbs about each bird and you'll see they're not all poisonous in the way a pitohui is.

"Poison" is a pretty broad term. I ate both tomatoes and potatoes yesterday. Both have poisonous foliage, yet here I am banging away at my keyboard with no apparent effects.
Pufferfish -- "fugu," -- is a delicacy in Japan, but certain parts of it are deadly.
Here in the US, people eat rattlesnakes. They're no more "poisonous" than any other snake -- or the spur winged goose pictured in the article, for that matter.

Well that was a massive fail. Last time I trust Google.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

You are right about the birds in the pictures, but the claims about the blue capped ifrit seems to be poisonous in a very similar way. Certain feathers on its body are poisonous. Probably due to its diet, but it is also a defense mechanism.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But an overly broad definition of "poisonous." A venomous spur is hardly comparable to surface toxins on feathers.
I only checked on the blue capped ifrit, but it too has poisons on its feathers and skin. How is that different? I did not check the other birds. Right now my searching is limited and my linking is nonexistent due to a malfunctioning mouse.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Platypus is venomous but that's different to being poisonous.

Exactly.

Poison Dart Frog/ Pufferfish= Poisonous. Rattlesnakes/ Cobras/ Mambas/ Black Widows/ Brown Recluse/ Box Jellyfish= Venomous

Venom is injected. Poison is inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
What is it about Australia and New Guinea that they have so many poisonous creatures?
Personally I believe that poisonous creatures don't survive as well in cold shifts, such as ice ages. Their poison makes them so well suited during warm climate ages that they depend upon it a lot, so their offspring do not survive better from other mutations. Poisonous animals need almost no protection, don't have to be fast, don't have to be strong, don't have to be smart. Therefore their other mutations are less likely to be a factor in their survival and are less likely to benefit them and be passed on to future generations. I think that once their poison becomes a strong factor in their survival they stop getting stronger in other ways. I think that in ice ages or other extreme times that they tend to become extinct. But I have zero --- ZERO evidence in consideration.

A scientific answer must take into account fossil evidence, carefully date when and where species appear and disappear and must only propose ideas that are suggested by detailed, carefully measured and recorded evidence. My answer is not scientific, nor am I claiming that it is. It is genius intuition and therefore absolutely correct.